752fx Vs 1527 Same neck or different?

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by stinkoman, Mar 2, 2020.

1. stinkoman

stinkoman SS.org Regular

I searched the shit out of this and surprisingly couldn't find an answer on a comparison of the two.

So simple question. Is the later 5 piece neck on the 1527 the same as the 752fx or did they happen to change the shape any?Like one more flatter or rounder. I know they have the same specs, and listed as Wizard 7, but with Ibanez that is pretty much useless.

2. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger

I owned a royal blue 1527(2006 i think?) and an RG752 with the wenge veneer. There was a big difference between the necks. The 752 is a good bit thicker and rounder compared to the flatter thinner 1527 neck.

stinkoman likes this.
  3. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

They're about as similar as you're going to find, if we're talking end of production run RG1527Z vs. recent RG752.

Prior iterations of the RG1527 will be different depending on specific production time frame.

A 2006 would have had the Ultra Prestige 7 neck opposed to the later Wizard Prestige 7.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2020
    aesthyrian and stinkoman like this.
  4. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger

Good to know! I was wondering why my 752 wasn't like my 1527. The Ultra Prestige is my favourite neck profile, I designed my Carillion 7 necks around it.

5. mrpanoff

mrpanoff SS.org Regular

The volute is noticeably smaller on '05 (not sure of '06) RG1527, RG15271 and '06 HRG7 Ikebe for whatever reason.

6. c7spheres

c7spheres GuitArtist

Of every Ibanez I ever tried or owned, even those of the same model, they are either the round fatter neck with smooth shoulders or the flat in the center skinny neck with the wide shoulders. I've had J-customs, k7, rg7620's, rg2027xvv's etc. They all had either of these two necks, but the rg2027x's were consistent, but that's probably a coincidence. It just really depends on which one you end up getting cause the next one off the assembly line might be different. That being said they're both feel good. I prefer the fatter with smaller shoulders one more though.

7. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Volutes were pretty much always done by hand until around 08'/09'. The necks were still CNC cut, but final sanding was all done by hand, some would work the volutes more during that process.

Lorcan Ward and aesthyrian like this.
  8. mrpanoff

mrpanoff SS.org Regular

Thanks for the info. I'm talking 2.5 -3 times less in volume though. Like almost pre-2005 small, but 5-piece.