707 alternative?

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by Benzesp, Aug 24, 2011.

1. Benzesp

Benzesp Banned

I've been Playing EMG's 707's 81's 85's for a long time. Most of my guitars have them and they sound great through my rig. I have a custom guitar that I'd rather not modify to use the 707 soap bar sized pickup. Right now I have a Duncan Distortion in it and honestly it's pretty bad sounding. It has way too much high end and seems kinda loose overall.

Is there a passive bridge alternative that will get me tonally in the EMG 707/85 ballpark? (Guitar is Ash with a Maple\purple heart neck, maple fretboard)

I've tried:
    Duncan Distortion 7 (high end is brittle)
    Duncan JB 7 (muddy ass)
    Duncan Custom 7 (overall just weak, the "feel" is horrible)
    Dimarzio Blaze (hehe, yea we all know this one)
    Dimarzio Blaze Custom (marginally better than the Blaze but not by much)

2. Infamous Impact

Infamous Impact SS.org Regular

Dimarzio D Activators are passives made to sound like actives.

3. MF_Kitten

MF_Kitten Set up us the bomb

Evolution 7 and D activator 7.

4. Benzesp

Benzesp Banned

Anybody with first hand knowledge of the D activator? Thoughts, comments?

5. Emperoff

Emperoff Hasta la vista, Baby Contributor

BKP Miracle Man.

6. myampslouder

myampslouder SS.org Regular

What kinda wood is the guitar made of?

7. Kabstract

Kabstract Flamenco is cool

(Guitar is Ash with a Maple\purple heart neck, maple fretboard)

8. MTech

MTech Banned

I like the SH-5 w/ a 59 in the nick..tighter than the JB and still has a nice Crunch.. it's what Broderick was using when he quit using BKP's before Dimarzio scooped him up... DiMarzio wise I like any of the bridge pickups Petrucci has used and the Air Norton for the neck... Though if you want EMG sound I would think you'd be using the passive one Alexi runs and putting that preamp circuit in there that'd be the closest you'd get to sounding like an EMG but not being one seeing as they says it's essentially a Passive 81.

9. op1e

op1e Spirit Taker

D Activator 7 worked great for me in a Basswood m207. Wanna try the D Activator X in my Ash/Mahogany Scope 727 soon as I can get one.

10. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Great pickups in my opinion. Tight without totally killing the low end or being overly shrill. They sound full and dark in the Mahogany bodied guitars I've tried them in (Xiphos 7, RG2027, K7, DC727), and really tight and aggressive, like a more focused and mid heavy EVO7 in my Basswood guitars (UV7s, UV777s, RG7s, etc.). I've never tried it in Ash to be honest, at least the 7-string version.

Does it sound exactly like a 707? Not really. It has some of the characteristics active pickups are known for, namely aggressive highs, and compression, but still sounds like a high output passive.

11. Soopahmahn

Soopahmahn Tu ne cede malis

This.

12. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

While it's a good pickup it's far too scooped to sound like a 707, which has more of an open sound to it, especially in the lows and mids. Those same qualities are what makes the Miracle Man one of the "go to" pickups for Basswood, which is very mid-centric, guitars these days. :2c:

13. Benzesp

Benzesp Banned

Thanks for the input. I'm going to grab a D Activator and see if it sounds any better than the ones I've tried. Maybe post an a/b of 707 vs. D activator.

One other I was looking at was the Duncan Blackout passive sized, I was hoping it was simmilar to EMG 707 but nobody seems to recommend it. I'm not opposed to the idea of staying active as long as the result is positive.

14. flo

flo SS.org Regular

I know the Duncan Blackout (eightsting version) and it's one of the greatest pickups I've heard, but the wood combination is completely different than in your guitar (wenge/ebony through neck, ziricote board, mahogany wings) so I can't really tell if it's good for you. In my opinion they sounded quite "passive" to me, completely mud-free and very alive and dynamic.

15. MTech

MTech Banned

I've posted it before but to repeat again all of the larger artists I've talked to using 7's and 8's downtuning rave over the Blackouts compared to the EMGs...Why?? Way better cleans, more dynamics, more articulation and it's louder with less/no feedback.

16. op1e

op1e Spirit Taker

I had a Blackout in my Grendal before I sold it off. Sounded really growly, didnt sound boomy at all to me. Not as quiet as EMG's, but not as scratchy sounding either. I really liked it.

17. Benzesp

Benzesp Banned

well shit! maybe I'll see if i can get a blackout if the D activator is not going to cut it.

18. killertone

killertone SS.org Regular

I'd go Blackouts, bro. I am about to put them in my ESP NT-7. The bridge 707 in that guitar sounds like a bag of dicks. I dig the 707 in the neck though.