7-strings w/ thicker necks and lower radii

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by 0 Xero 0, Jan 20, 2016.

1. 0 Xero 0

0 Xero 0 SS.org Regular

I haven't had a 7-string for a couple years and miss the range of them. I owned a '98 7621 previously and it sounded good, but the neck was too thin for me. I've learned that ibby necks just aren't my favorite. I have an old kramer with a wonderful neck that is a thicker with what I'd guess to be a 10-12" fret radius or so. Unfortunately I don't live near any guitar stores, so I've been trying as many 7s over the years as I can to find some with neck shapes I can jive with. I played a Chapman ML-7 S a while back and liked it, but was wondering if there was one that was a tad thicker... I've been leaning towards a Carvin, ESP, or Schecter but it seems like all of ESPs and Schecters offerings are on the thinner side from the recent models I've looked at online. I would think that I could get an option 50 for a thicker profile on a Carvin 7, but I don't know what the standard neck is like either. Does anyone have advice on this?

2. Guamskyy

Guamskyy Hwat you call me?

My Kiesel Vader 7 has a neck thicker than most, but the smallest radius you can get is a 14" radius.

3. oc616

oc616 Control Deck Wins

See if you can find the 2013-14 range of Schecter's Blackjack series 2nd hand. They're quite common, and last year I picked up a new 8 string from Andertons as they never shifted for them for about £450. I'd sold my 7 string version a couple of years previous for a deposit and really missed it, and the neck was about the same thickness.

Not sure how common they are across the pond though, but I imagine 2nd hand shouldn't be too hard.

4. xzacx

xzacx SS.org Regular

PRS? I've only ever handled one of their 7s briefly, but the Wide Thin profile isn't particularly thin. Their fretboards are typically 10" - not positive on the 7 string though.

5. 0 Xero 0

0 Xero 0 SS.org Regular

Thanks for the recommendations! The lower radius isn't as important as a thicker neck... Although thinner necks and higher radii usually go hand in hand. I do prefer 14" on the higher end because I don't meedle as much as some. I haven't played an SE-7 yet. I've been curious to though. I really wish there was a neck spec wiki with different makes and models like the one for the Ibanez wiki.

6. 0 Xero 0

0 Xero 0 SS.org Regular

Does anyone else have recommendations? The more the merrier!

7. StrmRidr

StrmRidr Hide your Jacksons

Maybe look into an older Schecter. I own a 2012 Loomis and the neck is a lot thicker than my SLS C7, almost too thick for my liking. I also played a Blackjack ATX a few years ago that also had a beefier neck.

8. Metal Mortician

Metal Mortician Ninja Lurker

2005-2007 Schecter blackjack. Great guitars and go for a good price used.

9. Bearitone

Bearitone SS.org Regular

The ESP Stephen Carpenter sig. necks are chunky with a 14" radius. Super comfy

10. HurrDurr

HurrDurr Lord of all Things

I'd say check out Matt Heafy's Epiphone sig. The 7 string plays nice for the price and it's a beefy Les Paul shape that's gorgeous in all-black with white binding.

11. USMarine75

USMarine75 The man who is tired of the anus is tired of life Contributor

Love my Schecter Loomis 7. The neck is noticeably fatter than anything else I've played.

[On a side note... Paired with my Engl FB100 it has the best dark, midrangey, yet clear, sound of any of my rigs. :yesway:]

12. steinmetzify

steinmetzify CHUG & SLUDGE

This, and check out Agile Septors (Interceptors?)....not sure on the radius, but that is a big fat neck on those. I'm a fat neck junkie and it was the most comfortable 7 neck I've played. I had a MIJ 7621 and sold it off for the same reasons you did, the Agile was night and day difference, dude.

13. Bearitone

Bearitone SS.org Regular

Agreed. The 7 string agile Septors (and Interceptors I think) have about 13.5" radius necks and a thicker back to them.

I'd go Agile or the Stephen Carpenter Sig.

14. steinmetzify

I think the Septors are the bolt ons and the Interceptors the neck thrus....I had the Interceptor. Solid guitars for the $ for sure.

15. djohns74

djohns74 SS.org Regular

Nope, Septors are fixed bridge, Interceptors have a trem. Having said that, I'm not sure if there are any bolt-on Interceptors in the catalog currently, but there's both bolt-on and neck-through Septors.

16. steinmetzify

Gotcha, I knew I was confused. Thanks for the clarification!

I got the Interceptor on a trade deal and the only reason I offed it is because I'm not a Floyd guy. Awesome guitar otherwise.

17. 0 Xero 0

0 Xero 0 SS.org Regular

Are there any Stef Carpenter sigs that don't have his bridge / middle pup configuration? Or is is there a bathtub rout beneath the pickguard on the tele? I'm not huge on neck pups, but I wouldn't use the middle one much if at all.

I've never played an Agile, but from what I've read they are good for the money... but not great. I loved the quality of the 7621. I assume the Stef Carpenter sig quality is close to a 7621, but is the Schecter? I know they've stepped things up a lot lately but I've only played one Schecter six string and it was decent.

This is something that popped into my head... What about the Squire Stagemaster VIIs? has anyone in here played one? I played one before I got into 7 strings, so I don't recall being fond or turned off from it. I've kind of been wanting a strat too, so that could kind of fulfill both check boxes. Granted it won't be as nice as most the aforementioned git fiddles, but it may be decent with a good setup and some upgrades.

18. Pat_tct

Pat_tct SS.org Regular

as a lover of thicker and wider necks: yes look into prs guitars. the only 7-strings they have are from the SE range i believe but those are awesome guitars as well. they play well and sounds really nice!