7 Stringers: who makes them and are they any good!

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by WayneCustom7, Dec 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WayneCustom7

WayneCustom7 Paolo Contributor

Sup...ok I just missed out on a 7 string USA Washburn, and I am a little hurt. My next option was to order one from Carvin...so while I think things over, which may take awhile, I would appreciate some feedback on all of the different 7 string guitars out there. Now I should mention that I normally only purchase USA made guitars, however I still want to hear about all of the models regardless of where thay were made. Please include though, where they were made...that way if I see a trend I may change my mind...thanks!

2. darren

darren Decibel Guitars Forum MVP

Why is it important to you where they're made?

3. macalpine88

macalpine88 SS.org Regular

my ibanez was made in japan or something and it plays like butter. it doesnt matter were it is made. american strats only play better because the parts used to make american made strats are better. if the mexicans had the same parts it would still play the same.

4. Digital Black

Digital Black SS.org Regular

You can scann the forums here for various reviews of different 7's

Otherwise I'd suggest composing a list of 7's your interested in and heading to Harmony Central reviews database.....

5. WayneCustom7

Cool, just thought I'd ask...thanks anyway!

Anyway I didn't mean to offend, nor was it my intention to come off like some high class biatch...cause I'm not...I don't know if it is the extreme temperature changes we go through here in Canada, but I have had bad expereinces with imported guitars, more specifically the truss rod being maxed, leaving the guitar with buzzes and no room for relief...this is why I mentioned my preference...

6. rx

rx I drink water.

you can buy it from me, which will eliminate the wait. ;)

but i'm not sure if I'm selling yet.

7. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

I wouldn't worry too much about the truss rod- my 7620 holds up just fine, even with a sanded neck, and growing up in the northern berkshires (massachusetts), I'm not that far south of you, I'd imagine... ;)

-D

8. Toshiro

Toshiro .... Contributor

My RG7620 with sanded&tung-oiled neck survived 3 poweroutages due to hurricanes this summer, that included having the windows open in 95+ degree weather and 100% humidity for days on end. :p

9. WayneCustom7

Well this is the feedback I was looking for when I started this thread. I wanted people to tell me...look maybe in the past...but so far...that kind of stuff. Since posting I have been checking out Ebay's listings and I am open to Ibanez 7 string's...I believe I have checked out a few Japanese RG 7620's...thanks guys!

10. Metal Ken

Metal Ken Hates the Air Contributor

Yeah dude. Japanese Made ibanez higher end guitars are pretty much of the same quality as american made guitars IMO. i'd take a jem or a Universe over an american strat or jackson or gibson anyday. Less price, badass guitar, just as good quality.

11. macalpine88

macalpine88 SS.org Regular

better quality ;)

12. Toshiro

Toshiro .... Contributor

Oh yeah, to add to it: "Charlie"s eye went right over my house. :p

Not-so-funny story:
    My old work (www.almostmusic.com) got destroyed in Frances, roof caved in. Now, out of all the guitars in the store, the worst damamged (that should not have been) was a $2000 Tacoma Archtop Jazz guitar. The wood started to rot under the finish even though the guitar was in a case up on a shelf during all this. On the other hand, the old 80s RG560s(we had 2 of them) hanging on the wall with just a plastic bag over them came out completely intact.

The Tacoma made me almost cry though, because that was the best archtop guitar I've ever played or worked on in my life. It had flatwound 11s with 1.5mm(12th fret) action and never buzzed. It was sick. Unfortunately it obviously wasn't well sealed during the finish process though, and that effected the durablity... Even the neck wood was rotting, and it was a bolt-on so there was no reason for this at all.

13. Leon

Leon {##[====:::. Contributor

:agreed:

14. Metal Ken

Wow, i was expecting to get flamed for that. I usually get that kind of response to that statement lol.

15. WayneCustom7

I agree with the Japanese makes, its the Korean ones I am not too fussy about...a Jem would be nice but they are close to a G-note used...I'm not familiar with Ibanez guitars unfortunately...I see that there are a few RG 7620's on Ebay...one has a buy-it now for 550.00 with upgraded pups...another less, like 300.00 but it has stock pups...

16. No Soul

No Soul bringer of mosh

japanese guitars arent the same as american, they are better.

custom made one offs dont count.

IMO for many production american guitars (namely fender and gibson) the only reason they are better than their foreign counterparts and rivals is they are using better materials. All things being equal, japanese assembly is far better, and the koreans arent far behind. Its just like cars.

17. Metal Ken

AGreed. But the thing that bothers me most is they're still just selling the same guitar they sold 30 and 40 years ago...

18. WayneCustom7

Well I can't really comment, since I play mainly Ernie Balls(and a Wolfie), and they are fantastic guitars...I have tried some Ibanez guitars and they just didn't feel right, but perhaps, being Ibanez, they got played alot by consumers with greasy fingers and stuff, and the guitars weren't set up properly. I have no desire to ever purchase the other two brands you mentioned...

19. Metal Ken

Ever get a hold of a well set up high end Ibanez guitar? That'll change your mind. Ideal shred machine. But then again some people dont dig the feel of them. i can respect that.

20. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

The nice thing about the 7620's is, if it turns out to be not for you, you can easily turn around and break even selling it here. ;)

Fender is generally cheaper than Ibanez, especially the Ibanez sig stuff, but Gibson is horrendously expensive, I agree. I still like my strat, but most of my playing time is on my 7620, and now that it's got a three way with a coil tap and a trem-setter, there's very little it can't do that my strat can.

-D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.