7 string trem question! Help appreciated!

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by AVfan, Aug 26, 2013.

1. AVfan

AVfan Active Member

So I'm thinking about treating myself to a new guitar within the next two weeks and I have one last qualm. The tremolo. Im a heavy trem abuser, and I need one that can last. Ive been looking at and trying some of the new Ibanez prestiges and the edge zero two with ZPS seems to be made out of a soft cheap metal alloy. is this true? Ive seen other comments that the hardware corrodes and rusts out without weeks. also I have looked at ESP, the Horizon FR-7 model. and the Ibanez 7 string Jem. I like the benefits of the ZPS so thatd be my first choice, but im not dropping 2k on a guitar that ill be replacing the trem in soon. can anyone offer insight? help is appreciated!:shred:

2. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

The Edge Zero II is far too new to really evaluate at this point, having only been introduced a couple years ago.

From what I've seen so far it looks to be a solid unit, haven't seen or heard of any dead in the water yet. Ask again in 10 years. :lol:

That said, if you have the cash for the JEM7V7 or ESP FR-7, get either of those, as the Edge Zero II-7 is only used on lower end guitars than those two.

If you really want a guitar with ZPS, and are weary of the Edge Zero II-7, take a look at the ZR-7 equipped S5427. The ZR-7 has proven itself to be a long lasting, solid unit.

3. AVfan

AVfan Active Member

Yeah but still touring bodies can usually see what the life is of a trem due to them being in constant use, that's wwhy I asked people with more experience to leave their opinion. And I meant the prestiges with the edge zero two with ZPS. not lower end models.

4. AVfan

AVfan Active Member

I misunderstood what you said, nevermind. Has anyone on this forum really looked into the materials used in ibby new trems? I find it interesting these trems are even on the J.customs, despite some of their compnents being cheap. (I.E, plastic torque collar, plastic stopbar holder in ZPS.

5. MaxOfMetal

The Prestige models don't use the Edge Zero 2, they use the Edge Zero. They are two different trems.

Edge Zero:
    [​IMG]

Edge Zero 2:
    [​IMG]

The Edge Zero has been out much longer and besides a rocky start thanks to some mismatched inserts which was corrected immediately, the trem has proven itself to be a high quality, long lasting unit.

The one I have on my RG2550Z, is in great shape and it's a first year.

6. MaxOfMetal

If by "really looked" you mean "played the heck out of", then yes. :lol:

Plastic isn't a poor material, and in many applications outclasses metal, especially when it comes to weight and resistance to forces such as friction.

7. AVfan

AVfan Active Member

Sorry I meant the edge zero! is it a winner in terms of longevity is my question lol

8. AVfan

AVfan Active Member

thanks for clearing things up though max, I appreciate it. are there any drawbacks to it vs. say a Floyd Rose?

9. MaxOfMetal

I don't see any points of failure. The posts are solid and well machined, and the knife edges seem to be made out of really hard stuff. As long as due care is given during setup/string changes and the unit is given a good cleaning on a regular basis in line with how much it's used, I see it lasting a very long time.

Outside of that, I can't see the future and don't know how well you maintain your instruments. I just know that mine has withstood tons of use over the last five or so years.

10. AVfan

AVfan Active Member

you've never had to replace the string blocks or anything? and the ball bearing s7 prestige is interesting. and how often do you find yourself using the intonation tool? It seems impractical.

11. MaxOfMetal

The original owner of the guitar lost the trem post locks and two of the string lock blocks, but that was through carelessness. A quick phone call to a friend that works at an authorized Ibanez dealer, an I got those parts right away. In the three years I've owned this guitar I haven't had to replace anything on the trem from wear and tear.

I only use the intonation tool when I need to adjust intonation, which hasn't been very often. I've had this guitar setup in C# standard since I got it, and have only changed the brand and gauge of strings a couple times. Unless you're changing setup quite often, you're not going to be using the intonation tool very much. Though, when you do eventually need to adjust it, it'll make life much easier.

12. AVfan

AVfan Active Member

was there ANYTHING at all you didn't like about the way the trem felt? how would you describe it? sorry im like interrogating you haha

13. MaxOfMetal

Full disclosure: I don't like what the ZPS system does to the feel of the Edge Zero trem, or any ZPS equipped trem for that matter. I like my bridges full floating without any extra springs or do-dads. It's entirely about preference and me being stuck in my ways about how I want my trems to feel.

With that being said, without the ZPS engaged, the Edge Zero feels a LOT like the Lo-Pro Edge units I've become most accustomed to in overall feel and movement.

14. AVfan

AVfan Active Member

so would you say its very low resistance?

15. MaxOfMetal

ZPS Enabled:
    Very stiff, still good for divebombs and stuff along those lines, but not at all good for some of the more subtle warble effects. Returns to zero everytime, but very quickly and stiffly when releasing the bar.

ZPS Disabled:
    Plenty loose if setup so, just like an OFR or Lo-Pro, comes back to zero very well, especially if using the locking studs.