7 String Suggestions

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by Hoss632, Sep 23, 2020.

1. Hoss632

Hoss632 SS.org Regular

Greetings all. So I am a beginner guitarist and still very much learning. However I do want to have a 7 string guitar in the near future as I find a lot of the music I hear in my head could benefit for being able to play in a lower tuning like drop A but still be able to have the normal notes from a 6 string. I also am willing to fork out a little bit of money so that it's a guitar with solid specs so that I don't have to upgrade many of the parts if at all. While I've not had any luck being able to try out really any 7 strings I do have a short list of ones that have specs I like. The new jackson dinky 7 string evertune is high up on the list. Schecter SLS Elite 7 string, Charvel Dk Nova 7, and a couple of ESP models as well. So I'd like to hear feedback on suggestions of some 7 strings you think would be worth it?

2. Adieu

Adieu SS.org Regular

Depends on your budget, and whether you prioritize newness, best bang for buck, or maximum quality at your maximum pricepoint

....also, used Prestige with pickup upgrades.

XPT707FX, buck fever, CM_X5 and 2 others like this.
  3. Hoss632

Hoss632 SS.org Regular

No issues buying a quality used guitar. i already know I'll likely have to buy even new site unseen as guitar shops where I am just don't carry many 7 strings. But I could at least go play a few ibanez guitars even if they are 6 strings to get an idea of their necks. Honestly I've not really played any which is surprising as I've always thought aesthetically they are really nice looking.

4. Adieu

Adieu SS.org Regular

Might help to know what country you're in

5. Hoss632

Hoss632 SS.org Regular

USA. Texas specifically

6. Adieu

Adieu SS.org Regular

Oh easy then.

Use the internet, order used guitars that once cost $1300-1500ish for $400-600, and enjoy.

America is the second-best place to shop for cool guitars, after all.

Strtsmthng and budda like this.
  7. Strtsmthng

Strtsmthng SS.org Regular

America as in USA, right? ;-)

Honestly curious: what would be your No1 place to buy guitars then?

8. Adieu

Adieu SS.org Regular

For anything except 50s and 60s Gibsons and Fenders, that's clearly Japan

buck fever and Strtsmthng like this.
  9. Strtsmthng

Strtsmthng SS.org Regular

Interesting, thanks!!

10. RobertVII

RobertVII SS.org Regular

If you're able to go to a music store, like guitar center or sam ash, you should see if they carry any of the guitars you listed in your original post. You would be able to try them and see which is the most comfortable for you. Also as cliche as it is to just get a used prestige I haven't anyone disappointed with that purchase but I would definitely see if you could try them before you commit to investing in a new guitar. Hope this helps dude!

11. Dumple Stilzkin

Dumple Stilzkin SS.org Regular

I would look into some of the esp e II line or Ltd 1000 series. I’ve grown to like the slightly bigger necks they offer. In my experience they seem better than what Jackson offers.

12. mbardu

mbardu SS.org Regular

Japan, sure, if you're rich. If you have a budget to go by, then USA is clearly #1.
    And I say that having lived on most continents for a while at this point.

To OP, the Schecter SLS Elite 7 is going to be a terrific instrument through and through. Order one through Guitarcenter used (It'll cost you quite a bit less and you still keep their return policy) and enjoy!

13. Hoss632

Hoss632 SS.org Regular

I'm tellin ya that guitar really does kinda speak to me. Especially the black fade look. And I'm betting as a 7 string with the ultra thin neck it'll probably feel better in hand than a 6 string version does. Appreciate the advice!

14. mungiisi

mungiisi SS.org Regular

This so much. Unless you don't have any budgetary limitations.

Honestly, the MIJ Ibanez are very high quality guitars and unless you really want some specific shape or other feature they can't offer there's no reason to look elsewhere. I understand that the RG shape is not for anyone and their color choices are sometimes quite boring but their guitars are solid.

15. mbardu

mbardu SS.org Regular

As usual the circlejerk is strong. Preferences aside (neck profile and width...possibly aesthetics if you only like flat solid-color guitars), let's look at the pros of the Schecter here: actual woods, a multiply neck, a way (way) better finish that won't crack, no neck pocket issues, great stainless steel fretwork, modern high end pickups, modern amenities like luminlays, I'm sure I'm forgetting a thing or two. Pros of the Ibanez: it has an F written at the back of the headstock, and you can get an Edge that can be *slightly* better than OFR if you like floyds. I'll let OP be the judge :lol:

16. sleewell

sleewell SS.org Regular

I have a schecter KM7 and two cheapo Jacksons and would recommend them all. I got the Jacksons first to see if I would dig 7s. turns out i love them so i spent a little more on the KM7 and its my current #1. I don't think you have to spend a ton to get a good instrument these days unless you want to.

mbardu likes this.
  17. mbardu

mbardu SS.org Regular

KM7s are also a great idea if you can live without a tone control.
    Just wait for a big retailer to slash the prices of the top model to 6/700$ like they do every 6 months and you can't beat that value.

sleewell likes this.
  18. Restarted

Restarted SS.org Regular

Another vote for discount/used KM7. I have the mk-ii and it's such a good guitar

sleewell likes this.
  19. MSS

MSS SS.org Regular

My first 7 was a Jackson Soloist SL7. It really made it easy to switch from 6 to 7. Nice low action and super easy to play.

20. mungiisi

mungiisi SS.org Regular

A Schecter is good choice too, no doubt. I’ve played a few C-7 Hellraisers and regret not buying one when I had a chance.