7 String Multiscale Hardware Questions

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by 1nc1n3rat0r, Feb 11, 2020.

1. 1nc1n3rat0r

1nc1n3rat0r Member

Hi everyone,

I recently purchased a used Ormsby Hype GTR 7 (Run 1) as my first seven string guitar. The guitar is in excellent condition and looks like it was hardly played. Since purchasing I've noticed a few possible issues and I wanted to get some opinions to see if I need to take it into an experienced luthier.

• The nut slot for the 7th string seems really close to the edge of the nut. The nut itself also does not match the width of the neck. It looks like the manufacturer tried to fill gaps with glue. See the attached photos. I'm not sure if this is something that would require a new nut to be installed now or if it's something that could wait. Also, I'm unsure where to find multiscale guitar nuts.
    • I put D'Addario 10-59 NYXL strings on the guitar and have it tuned to standard (BEADGBE). The 7th string is causing a bunch of fret buzz near the first fret. I was able to reduce it by lowering the relief to .011" and setting the string heights to (at the 12th fret) .078" for the 7th string down to .063" on the first string, decreasing by 0.0025" for each string. After adjusting the intonation, the buzz is limited to when I pick the 7th string with some attack.
    • When the 7th string is played, it goes sharp a noticeable amount and then oscillates between flat and sharp. I'm not sure if this is related to the string gauge, the nut, or if it's just normal. My tuners have had a hard time reading the pitch of the string (Boss TU-2 and a Kliq tuner). Setting the intonation for the string was difficult compared to the rest.

I'm not an experienced guitar tech and this guitar is my first attempt at doing a complete setup. All measurements were done using feeler gauges. It's possible that I've missed a step during the setup that's causing these issues.

Does anyone have any thoughts as to what might be going on?

Guitar Specs:
    Construction: Set-neck
    Body: Alder 38mm thick
    Neck: 3 piece maple
    Fretboard: Ebony with 16" radius
    Inlays: Mother of Pearl
    Scale Lengths:
    Seven string: 25.5" - 27.8" Multiscale
    Neck shape: 20.3mm @ 1st, 22 @ 17th, D shape with round shoulders. AKA "thin U"
    Hardware: Custom Hipshot USA multiscale bridge and Hipshot USA locking tuners
    Fret wire: Jumbo Stainless Steel
    Nut: Bone
    Pickups: 500k pots, 3 way & push/pull tone pot for coil splitting
    Bridge - Nunchucker humbucker A8
    Neck - De La Creme A2

1 - Copy.jpg 2 - Copy.jpg 3 - Copy.jpg

2. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

My suggestion, especially for a run one and if you want to keep it is to take it to an experience luthier and have them give it a once over.

3. diagrammatiks

My suggestion, especially for a run one and if you want to keep it is to take it to an experience luthier and have them give it a once over.

4. The Mirror

The Mirror SS.org Regular

Go get a new nut set up. Those things cost almost nothing and a good guitar tech will get it done in less than an hour.

5. 1nc1n3rat0r

1nc1n3rat0r Member

Thanks for the replies!

I took the guitar into a luthier today and found out that the fretboard is uneven. The bass side is raised in parts of the fret board near the body. Their suggestion was to pay ~$400 for a fret redressing.

I’m not sure it’s worth the additional money at this point. I’m open to suggestions.

6. diagrammatiks

400usd?

If the neck is uneven then really what needs to happen is that the neck needs to be steamed and reset or the frets can be drastically reset where they follow the warp of the neck.

If what he means is that the frets are uneven then they can simply be redressed.

At any rate it shouldn't cost 400usd. Usually these things cost like 75-125 usd.

If there really is a warp or something weird going on with the frets then you're only options are to learn to do it yourself or have someone do it.

You could throw the guitar in the trash as well.

7. cip 123

cip 123 SS.org Regular

Now you know why it was hardly played I guess.

Take it to a different shop if they're going to try and charge you 400. I've had some expensive setups before but 400 is closer to a whole refret.

MajorMark likes this.
  8. 1nc1n3rat0r

1nc1n3rat0r Member

Yep, $400 USD. The reasoning was that they would have to manually redress all 24 multiscale frets and couldn't use their machinery for it. I'm assuming they would have just used their PLEK system if it wasn't a multiscale guitar beacause they quoted by $235 with setup for a non-extended range.

Honestly, I'm having a hard time seeing what's wrong with the neck. Although, I can definitely hear the issues with the fret buzzing. If I can figure out what the issue is and if I determine it will cost too much to have someone else do the work, I might try learning to do it myself. I've wanted to pick up guitar repair skills anyways.

9. 1nc1n3rat0r

1nc1n3rat0r Member

No kidding, I'm pretty bummed about the purchase now.

My plan is to stop by some other shops / techs and see if I can get a few opinions. I'm going to email a few tonight with photos to see if I can get a quote or appointment.

10. 1nc1n3rat0r

1nc1n3rat0r Member

11. cip 123

cip 123 SS.org Regular

It's hard to see much from photos in person would be better.

Generally and particularly for ERGs there should actually be a certain amount of fallaway on the frets. That being as it gets up past the 12th fret it should angle down ever so slightly. Since guitar strings vibrate much more in the middle than at the bridge or fretted position. If your guitar is tilted on the bass side it could make it just bad to play even with simple truss rod adjustments as the bass side may continue to be to high and get in the way of the strings vibrations.

Just a little insight, takes a good luthier to figure out and fix certain neck issues.

12. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

about the nut, its fine. The string slot might look like its too close to the edge, but if it works, it works. Meaning, if it was gonna break, it should have by now. Nut being too short for the width is not a problem either. What you care about is that the string slots are in the right position, whatever nut material is left over can be wider or shorter, is nt going to affect anything, if not that might ahve been the reason why the nut slot was bit too close to the edge.

As for getting a new nut. Its a regular nut. There are no "multiscale nuts", theres only a nut thats wide enough for that neck. Only difference is that the nut slots would need to be filled in an angle instead of being perpendicular. But theres also not a "one size fits all", meaning, what works for your guitar, might not work for the next, even if both are the same model. Your fretboard might be 0.XXmm higher, or your frets might have been filled lower, so your nut slots would be in a different depth than the next guitar. Any luthier should be able to shape a new nut for you no problem, if they claim that because "its a multiscale" it should be harder/pricier then run away from that guy

same as a settup. Multiscale settups are not different to any other guitar, if they want to charge you more because of it, then find another luthier. The guitar settup is exactly th same as any other hardtail guitar. Same goes with the guitar being an "extended range/baritone" it means nothing for a settup, it only means you would be using a thinner string gauge. Think about this, if they can settup a bass, then setting up a 27.8" guitar should be nothing.

Frets are filled exactly the same way as a whole, and then dressed individually as any other guitar.

IF your tech is right, you might have a small twist in your neck, one small enough that could be fixed by filling the frets to accomodate. Hopefully its that, or maybe just need the frets to be re-set... Just take the guitar to another tech and get another opinion

And also, about the string gauge, Those gutiars ship with 9-46+56, so a 59 for the B shouldnt be any problem at all