7 string guitar for drop b tuning over a 6 string tuned down

chugzilla

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
so i always play drop b with a regular 6 string at 24.75 scale cuz thats all i have using 13-60 strings....then i got to thinking instead of tuning my 7 string down why not tune up to drop b....maybe i can get that girth and thickess i cant with my 6 string...so i did some research found a site all about using a 7 string for drop b....i have 10-60 on my 7 string...so i just got done playing all the songs i cover in drop b and WOW is all i can say...everything my 6 string lacked in tone and thickness was there...its a done deal..i have a baritone for drop a and lower....now i can use that 6 string for my drop c-standard d songs...anyone else try this or consider it ?

Hoss632

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'm betting the extra chunk in the tone is from the 7 having the thicker neck, and I'm sure from pick ups being done differently as well. But I've always felt a 6 string in the same tuning as a 7 was brighter even if scale length was the same.

chugzilla

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
well i dont have a 6 string that would work well enuff.....all mine are gibson scale 24.75..i tried with a dean amott tyrant.. from researching it says 25.5 would be the shortest...i mean i tried it and it sounded ok but nothing like the 7 string....and yeah its prob the thickness and weight and its longer scale ect.....i love it lol and im fortunate enough to have a baritone for the lower drop a songs and b standard i play .. i dont go any lower...so yeah if anyone wants to try it its amazing and i chose the 7 string over the baritone for drop b because it has thinner strings 10-60 vs 13-62 so i assumed it would be better and i didnt have to adjust the intonation either right on....so yeah im happy

wheresthefbomb

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The scale length is by far the biggest difference between your 6 and 7. You'd notice similar differences between two 6 strings with different scale lengths as well.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
I’d run 11-54s on the 6 in drop B.

chugzilla

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
well when i first tried i used 12-54 dunlop heavy core the same ones i use for drop c and standard d .... i noticed it lost its tone and tension.....so then i put on 13-60 raised the bridge ect adjusted the truss rod intonation ect....did all i could do....it sounded better but still nothing like a 7 string tuned up to drop b....no comparison at all....the 7 string blows it away as far as intonation...tone..thickness..girth....so i put the amott tyrant back to what it was before and it was my e flat drop d flat guitar...and life goes on lol

FILTHnFEAR

Dread it, run from it....
Reaction score
I've played drop B on my 7's for quite a while now. BF#BEAC#F# with 9-64 gauge LaBella's on my LTD Viper 7 baritone

I don't care for tuning really low but love the extra bit of range and chords available over a 6. As well as the extra width of the neck which helps greatly with hand cramps that were happening frequently on my 6 string Ibanez's thin/narrow necks, and even with my 1527 and 7321 7's. The LTD's neck thickness and profile is the best feeling guitar I have.

chugzilla

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
see now i havent had a 7 string in 20 years and im trying to readjust lol...my arm hurts less n less after playing it but its still there...and with my baritone i have no pain in my left arm but ill admit the longer neck is a challenge getting used to reaching out further to play the first couple frets...but im glad i kept the 7 string i almost retuned it until i found that web site about using it for drop b tuning and the advantages...well for now im gonna stick to the 10-60's on my schecter c-7 its a beast of a guitar....the baritone uses 13-62 but i think im gonna use 13-60 i have alot of them laying around i dont think it will change the tone much....now my only decision i have to make is about returning a beautiful satin black dean ml i have in drop c tuning..i have 30 days to make up my mind not sure what to do.. i really dont need it..but omfg its amazing playing and looking.. and ide get back 1300 bux...and i could buy another used schecter 7 string lol

Last edited:

Hoss632

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'm currently in the debate of baritone or 7 string for my next guitar. I'm without one at the moment, but I've decided that the next one will be less about learning songs I like (which I know can be helpful) and more about trying to create my own music, which I'm finding I prefer tunings around Drop A# and a little lower preferable.

chugzilla

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
well if ya do like i did and check reverb and guitar center daily for used ones ya might find some gems like a did.... i got both of mine for about 1000 and each one was about 1000 new ......and they are amazing guitars loaded with emg pickups and high quality tuning machines ect....i love them and im keeping both....and yeah i was always originals first covers last....so i took a 4 year break and started back up 2 years ago and at first i relearned most of my originals i could remember....then at about 6 months back playing i started back on the covers to get better faster and it worked....and finding a new way to practice also helped lol....so goodluck to ya

soldierkahn

BAD MAMMA-JAMMA
Contributor
Reaction score
so i always play drop b with a regular 6 string at 24.75 scale cuz thats all i have using 13-60 strings....then i got to thinking instead of tuning my 7 string down why not tune up to drop b....maybe i can get that girth and thickess i cant with my 6 string...so i did some research found a site all about using a 7 string for drop b....i have 10-60 on my 7 string...so i just got done playing all the songs i cover in drop b and WOW is all i can say...everything my 6 string lacked in tone and thickness was there...its a done deal..i have a baritone for drop a and lower....now i can use that 6 string for my drop c-standard d songs...anyone else try this or consider it ?

i know im late to the party on this one, but this is exactly what I did back in the day. I took a page from Wes Borland's book, and used a 7 string, tuned up to C# standard, dropped the 7th to a B for drop B tuning, and had a doubled 1st string (B F# B E G# C# C#). Id use a (its been so long so i might have my exact gauges off a bit) 13 for C# on the second string, and a 12 for the C# on the 1st string. That way even if my first and second strings are unison in pitch, you can tell the difference between the thicker and thinner gauge strings.