7 string gauge question (please help :)

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by neurotic_88, Apr 4, 2020.

1. neurotic_88

neurotic_88 SS.org Regular

Hey all!

I am new here, I was hoping someone could help me with something.
    My guitar is a 7 string Kiesel Osiris multiscale (scale length 25.5" treble side, 27" bass side )

I want to tune it to C standard, ( C# G# E B F# C# etc.. )

My question is, which strings / gauge should I use for this tuning?

Longer scale allows me to use lighter gauge, with great tone, correct?

Any help is appreciated, I am new to this.

Thanks!

P.S here she is!
    71546698_10162096357570276_5304739911453114368_o.jpg

2. Bdtunn

Bdtunn SS.org Regular

I can’t help on the strings as I like a lighter gauge, I just wanted to say hot damn that’s a nice guitar!

3. The Mirror

The Mirror SS.org Regular

I don't think I really get what you want. You said C-Standard but in brackets wrote the C#-Standard tuning, so I assume you want a C# tuning?

So do you want to use your 7 string to tune UP? Like (from low to high) C#2,F#2,B2,E3,A3,C#4,F#4? Or do you want to use regular C# tuning and add a bottom string to it? So: (l to h) G#1,C#2,F#2,B2,E3,G#3,C#4?

In the first case (which is a tuning I actually use but on a 25" 7) I use a 12-60 set and add a 09 on top for the F#. In the latter case and for your scale lenght I'd probably go for a 11-52 or a 12-54 set and add a 64 or a 68 for the low G#, depending on how it feels.

jbllarsen likes this.
  4. neurotic_88

Hi,

Yeah, sorry, it's the latter case, I didn't explain it right :)
    I figured with my scale I would be something like 09-64
    Thank you!

5. Carl Kolchak

Carl Kolchak SS.org Regular

My question would then be why get a 7 string if you're just going to tune up to C standard? Would it not have seemed to have made more sense to have gotten a 6 string w/ a 25.5" scale in that case then?

6. Winspear

Winspear Tom Winspear

Well, a longer scale will always sound clearer and brighter. Comfort opinions aside, there is no downside to a 27" scale unless trying to tune higher than treble F# (and he has a fan, so no problem there anyway).
    Take a look in my signature at the 7 string set gauges on my store. They are all balanced sets, and can give you guidance on what to seek from any brand. The 9-58 would be ideal if you are a 10's in E kind of guy - though the fan will allow you to use something more like 9-42+56 or 54 with a similar tension that my sets are designed for on straight scale.

7. neurotic_88

I am not great with the theory side of music, but the tuning I am talking about is tuning down my 7 string, not tuning up.

8. Carl Kolchak

Carl Kolchak SS.org Regular

Ahhh...

In that case, I'd be thinking about some .080 - .090s then depending on how floppy/tight you like your strings.

9. Un1corn

Un1corn Instant Djent Machine

I would say it highly depends what feel and tone do you like. For me, I like 10-12lbs tension on the lowest string so on 27 scale .80-.85 would be optimal for me. But if you are normal (or should I say average tension) I would say you need at least 15lbs to get the similar feeling of .56 on B standard tuning, which may require you to install a string thicker than .90
    Also, tighter string don't necessarily means tighter tone, especially on such low note. These low notes will produce huge amount of bass frequency, which could eat a lot of headroom and cause your tone loosy and muddy. In this case lighter gauge string may sounds clearer and tighter.