7 Reasons Why Men Cheat

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Randy, Jan 23, 2013.

1. JPhoenix19

JPhoenix19 Playing life by ear

Hmmmm, I wonder why?

Oh, that's why. :fawk: I've been in the south for several years- it just comes with being in/near the bible belt.

I'd like to think I'm fairly sensible on the issue. I do tend to lean the other way here. It seems to me that despite the things marriage was in the past (a union of more than just persons. Land, finances, and property were exchanged and matrimony was like a business merger in many cultures), marriage in America nowadays is about accountability. It's a tangible, written testament to your commitment to each other that you agree to be held legally accountable for- I don't see a problem with that. Do I think you need to get married? Certainly not! I'm frankly disgusted at how marriage seems to be treated as a glorified version of dating- no emphasis on commitment. To me, marriage represents a commitment to place the relationship above everything else- to make sure there is mutual joy and happiness that is not self-seeking.

Maybe I'll get flamed for that, since it's a fairly traditional/conservative viewpoint, but it's what I believe and it's a value ingrained deep within me.

I hope I don't come across as condescending, but that is a sad position to be in- believing that. I really hope you can meet someone who can be trusted.

There's so many factors to consider in relationships like maturity, background, age, goals, and values- how can you ever get it all figured out? God, if I were single I'd have a hard time- it seems like many of the women around me play by the sort of rules you're pointing out. There are women who can generally be trusted, though. Look at it this way- we all make mistakes and we all are in the process of maturing relationally- who then can be trusted?

SirMyghin likes this.
  2. flexkill

flexkill Vodka & PentaTonic

Just wondering....do you believe in the Lord Jesus Christ?

3. sage

sage twerk twerk thall

Title of the article in the OP should read, "7 Reasons People Cheat." Each and every one of those applies to women also. There is a total double standard. Women are every bit as bad as men in any one of those 7 categories. There are a couple more that should be on there.

8. Spite.
    Some bitches (male and female bitches) like to get back at a motherfucker (male and female motherfuckers) by sleeping around on them. I don't know what the fuck is wrong with all you bitches. Just dump a motherfucker for their transgressions. Which leads us to reason number 9.

9. As a break up method.
    OK, this is definitely not a particularly mature way of dealing with issues, but it does have its own sense of finality. No matter how many times you try to dump your partner, it just doesn't stick? Fuck his/her best friend and leave the condom where it's gonna be found. Works every time. If you are a chickenshit motherfucker (male or female motherfuckers).

I'm a faithful sort of dude. I will happily dump a broad instead of cheating on her and expect likewise treatment. But chivalry is dead. Just try not to get infected and then infect your partner.

4. wespaul

wespaul Octaves of Manhattan

My post was tongue-in-cheek with a small spice of seriousness. Everything I said was true regarding all of my relationships, though. I don't know if it's just a generational thing, or maybe it's the water where I live, but I've yet to find somebody who is faithful.

But you're right, people do make mistakes. I'm not a forgiving person, unfortunately. There are no second chances with me after it goes down. I tried the second chance deal exactly one time to never consider it again. Maybe that's a character flaw in myself, who knows? I really do envy couples who have been together for a long time, and have a genuine trust with one another. That must be so amazing (and I'm not saying this sarcastically).

5. renzoip

renzoip I Am the Table

I have a suspicion that my last 2 exes might have cheated on me. But as soon as they started acting weird and evasive, and giving me crappy excuses, I ended the relationships; I never really got a chance to find out. At the time I felt that if things were already not working out, then I would just end it all before going through the pain/anger of trying to catch her cheating on me. I haven't seen either of them or spoken to them or anyone they know in many years, so I'll probably never know. Honestly, at this point in my life, I find it irrelevant. I'm happy with my current relationship. I guess some things are better left unknown.

To the OP: I think women cheat just as much as men do. Not sure about why, but I think they reasons are probably not too different from those of men. I'm not sure if there is a double standard in society for the expectations for infidelity. If there is, then there shouldn't be one. I'm yet to see any compelling data or argument to believe that one gender will be more likely to cheat than the other.And if a girl is going to presume I'm likely to cheat on her because I'm a guy, then she is definitely not the one for me.

6. Grand Moff Tim

Grand Moff Tim Some call me... Tim

Now taking bets on how long before Groph drops a bomb on this thread.

7. JPhoenix19

JPhoenix19 Playing life by ear

Yes. To be more specific, I'm coming from a Protestant Christian religious tradition.

Back on topic: I've always considered it more of a hassle to cheat. I imagine all the drama that would ensue and figure it's not worth the trouble. One complicated relationship is enough for me.

8. TRENCHLORD

TRENCHLORD Banned

Well here's 4 good reasons.

[​IMG]

9. SP1N3SPL1TT3R

SP1N3SPL1TT3R SS.org Regular

It's cause of how the male brain is "wired." Ancient humans had a social structure, similar to all other social mammalians, such as lions and wolves. Men were atop the hierarchy and 1 male had multiple females, for several reasons. The times have changed, but the human brain hasn't. IMO, it's the reason why men act on primal urges.

10. McKay

McKay ʎɐʞɔW

Obsolete thinking that incorrectly paints men as bastions of infidelity when evidence points to at least a parity between the sexes.

Women are hyperagamous and men are polyagamous, or at least the primitive parts of the brain are. To assume that women exclusively are drawn to monogamy because of their biological imperatives is ridiculous and there are good arguments rooted in evolutionary psychology and modern empirical evidence to suggest that there is no greater instinctive drive to monogamy in women than men.

11. neurosis

neurosis SS.org Regular

I used to say this and I had it said to me as well. Most of my friends live by this, too. Commited relationships and cheating... bad karma. Once something like that goes out of balance it has to be put back into perspective, hence why so many people cheat after they have been cheated on.

But you made a great point here. In any kind of relationship between two people, communication is key. There is too much stuff left unsaid for many reasons depending on each person. I went nuts from girl to girl trying to find somebody with the actual balls to go through live with a straight face. No bullshit. I finally found her and well... we are married, hahahahahahah :hbang:

12. AngstRiddenDreams

AngstRiddenDreams Filthy Casual

This thread is seriously making me fucking paranoid. :lol:

13. pink freud

pink freud SS.org Regular

Really? You think providing my spouse with continued pension benefits after my death so she can more easily support herself in her later years isn't important? Easier dealing with issues over power of attorney? Marriage benefits aren't just for you, they are for BOTH of you.

Not that I follow the practice, but I do know enough about it to be able to state your views on marriage are very ethnocentric, given that arranged marriage still exists. Entire cultures view marriage beyond the scope of two people loving each other, who are you to say they are "fucked"?

14. Adrian-XI

Adrian-XI SS.org Regular

I'm getting married in 9 days. This thread burns lol I might as well have just ordered an Invictus.

15. Varcolac

Varcolac Frets? What frets?

Replace the word "men" in the article with "shitty people of any gender," and we've got a much more accurate study.

It's a bit stupidly essentialist to say "MEN CHEAT. MEN BAD. MEN ALL BAD" - just as stupid as saying "Women are crazy" or "Lesbians like mint chocolate chip ice cream."* We're all products of inheritance and environment - that's true for everyone. You can only make the broadest of assumptions about people if you divide them into groups as broad as these, and these "insights" are nowhere near broad enough to apply to all men.

*I mean who fucking doesn't like mint choc chip? Heathens, that's who.

16. Pooluke41

Pooluke41 H. Maddas

Two words: Tony Soprano.

thug fo lyf

17. m3l-mrq3z

m3l-mrq3z Banned

I wonder how many of the guys that get cheated on are good lovers and attractive enough for their partners...

18. avenger

avenger SS.org Regular

Doesnt being common law give you the same benefit without the 20k wedding?

Can't tell if you are trolling, a virgin, or 15?

Possibly all three.

:lol:

19. flexkill

flexkill Vodka & PentaTonic

Thought so.

Well for your sake I hope your marriage lasts. The statistics are against you though in every way.... that's a fact. If/when you get divorced...you will wish you had never been married because now the state decides your future not you, where as if you had only been "together" both parties could agree to disagree and walk away. Every fucking thing you ever worked for can be taken from you and you have to sit back and watch it all happen. Call me Ethnocentric if you want....I want you to bookmark this thread my friend... I think you might relate to my views in the future:cool:

20. SD83

SD83 SS.org Regular

Why would that be relevant at all? :scratch: "If men cheat, they are assholes, if men are cheated on, they are bad lovers & ugly?"
    Honestly, finding out I was being cheated on would be the only reason I can think of when I might actually beat a girl/woman. To me, there is no reason for cheating. Everything that one might list as a "reason" would be a reason to end the relation, everything else just seems stupid and despicable to me.
    +1 on those who don't believe there is any major difference between men and women when it comes to cheating.
    @avenger:
    No, it doesn't, at least not as far as I know (in Germany, that is). You still get advantages from being legally married if it comes to taxes, making decisions for each other of one is no longer able to make decisions etc.