6505+ Resonance and Presence Frequencies

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by sonoftheoldnorth, Jun 1, 2020.

1. sonoftheoldnorth

sonoftheoldnorth SS.org Regular

Anyone know what frequencies these are set at on a 6505+?

Also, what would be the difference between an external EQ or something like the Depth Finder (which I presume is just a set frequency EQ?)? How does the actual Res Pres controls, which from what I gather work in the negative feedback section of the Poweramp (whatever the hell that is), differ?

Can someone explain that shit to me please?

2. USMarine75

USMarine75 The man who is tired of the anus is tired of life Contributor

Resonance and Presence affect the power amp EQ not the preamp like your regular EQ stack. You’re literally cutting highs or lows to tailor the amp to your speaker cab and balance any Preamp EQ settings.

I don’t remember the exact frequencies but I’d guess resonance is 80-120 Hz and Presence is around 4-8 KHz?

Wolfhorsky and Alexa run my life like this.
  3. KailM

KailM SS.org Regular

Pretty spot-on. I would guess presence is at the higher end of 4-8khz. Resonance might be centered at around 100hz.

4. USMarine75

USMarine75 The man who is tired of the anus is tired of life Contributor

Sucks I have 5150 and 5153 schematics and pics but not with me so I can't reference. The freqs were listed on the as-built. But off the top of my head that seems right lol.

5. sonoftheoldnorth

sonoftheoldnorth SS.org Regular

Thanks guys.

My Peavey Classic 60/60 poweramp has no Res/Pres controls... So an EQ or Depth Finder as the last thing in othe chain into the power amp is going to sound different to if the power amp was say... modded for these controls?

6. op1e

op1e Spirit Taker

The mod would be a bit better i was told, due to in actually interacting with NFB of the power section. My tech quoted me around $100 to do it, so for the price of the pedal you might as well.

7. Bearitone

Bearitone SS.org Regular

This^^^

8. c7spheres

c7spheres GuitArtist

I don't know the frequencies but you can find out the actual effect of it on your rig by putting a tap from the speaker output (like a direct box with a line out if made for it (liek a JDI), or a load box with line out) and running into a scope like a realtime analyzer and when you adjust the controls it will show on the analyzer. It may not be the actual component value but it's better to do it this way anyways because it's the actual effect it's having in line on the gear. When you boost or cut the controls you'll be able to see it peak and dip on the meter. If not then just adjust the integrate and FFT components on the meter and you'll eventually zone in on it. There's a few different meter typs too in the settings. - If you want to fully analyze the other controls or a mic or other piece of gear you can get information on them by pumping white noise (not pink) through them and doing the same type of thing. Reaper also has white noise generators for free inside it too. - Be careful using white noise and start with volume down and work way up slowly. It gets really loud and scary really fast sometimes.
    - With the Res/Pres controls more than likely you're gonna see it affectingthe entire spectrum than a specific frequency but you can still dial in and narrow down close to what the frequency is because it will be in the middle of the rocking motion of the wave/graph. The rest is just the bandwidth around that frequency.
    - The Spectrum analyzer that comes in Reaper is accurate and works great. I've been messing with it a lot lately analyzing IRs and my other various gear. You can even set all the settings inside it to really dial in things visually. Below is a graph of an ML sound Labs IR. Notice how detailed you can adjust the analyzer. This meter setup has a db floor of -235db! Very high res for sure. Looks like this:

RTA ML IR.jpg

Last edited: Jun 3, 2020
    Necky379 likes this.