6505+ as poweramp question(s)

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by Mike, Nov 14, 2016.

1. Mike

Mike The Traveler

I'm considering incorporating a digital amp modeler (HD 500x, 11r, etc) into the fx loop of my 6505+ to use it as a power amp for the modelers amp sims.

One thing I've done in the past with modelers, is throw pedals in front of them (boosts, eq, and even noise gates to clean up guitar noise).

Would using say an overdrive pedal in the fx loop, before the modeler behave how you'd expect a boost to behave before an amp? Or is there a better way to route this?

2. LiveOVErdrive

LiveOVErdrive CNC hack

Do you mean:
    Guitar->pedals->modeler->poweramp
    ?

That should work fine, though I would lean toward using the modeler for the effect pedal too (if you can get the sound you want), only because it would mean less noise.

But yeah that should work fine.

3. Mike

Mike The Traveler

Yeah that's what I mean. The reason I like to do that is sometimes I prefer the tone and tweakability of my physical pedals (especially boosts), to the tone of the digital modelers built in boosts. Added noise shouldn't be too big of an issue as I have two Decimators to mix in the chain, plus the modelers noise gate is available as well.

4. noUser01

noUser01 Still can't play.

That'd work just fine.

5. LiveOVErdrive

LiveOVErdrive CNC hack

You could also do the "four cable method" I'd you want the option of using your 6505 preamp as well.

Guitar->pedals->podhd->(from pod effects send) 6505 -> (from 6505 effects send) podhd effects return -> 6505 effects return

Then you can design your pod patches to use the pod effects loop when you want to use your 6505 preamp.

6. Mike

Mike The Traveler

I'll probably just end up going straight into the fx return and keep it simple. I want to try to avoid any preamp coloration if possible. If I feel the need for more tonal tweaking though, I may give the 4CM a shot. Thanks guys.

7. LiveOVErdrive

LiveOVErdrive CNC hack

So you wouldn't get preamp coloration unless you switch on the pod HD effect loop in a patch. Basically you're setting it up the way you originally talked about, but you can throw the 6505 preamp in the effects loop of the podhd if down the road you want a patch or two to use that preamp instead of a modeled one.

But yeah, it's an easy change and something you could experiment with later if you decide to. Direct into the power amp will work great for now.