6505+ 120 Head shuts itself off after 20 minutes of playing

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by TheBlackBard, Jun 5, 2021.

1. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

I couldn't decide which to use, so...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:lol:

(RIP, Hot Rod!)

Kyle Jordan and DudeManBrother like this.
  2. USMarine75

USMarine75 The man who is tired of the anus is tired of life Contributor

It's worth the $60-100 to take to a tech.

Emperoff likes this.
  3. cwhitey2

cwhitey2 BlackendCrust Metal™

I was waiting for this response from you.

budda likes this.
  4. TheBlackBard

TheBlackBard SS.org Regular

What do you make of the transformer wires having a bit of a melted look to them? I will say that I am concerned about that. It's not drastic, but you can tell they've had some heat on them.

5. USMarine75

I'd have to see and run voltage through it but there are so many stupid things that could be causing this. It could be the standby switch... on certain designs the pilot light can short the heaters and blow a tranny.

6. TheBlackBard

I do know that when it turned off, it was as if it cut the power immediately, and there wasn't a pop or anything like that. Maybe the sound of powering an amp off too quickly after turning standby off.

7. Spaced Out Ace

Hey, phrasing!

8. camaroeric

camaroeric θάλλ

One of my Peavey's was doing this. It ended up being the solder joint on the main board from the power plug socket of the amp. 5 minutes to fix but checked the bias voltage and everything while in there. Must have been a bad solder joint from the factory.

Spaced Out Ace likes this.
  9. tinearjones

tinearjones SS.org Regular

For the uninitiated, what are some amps with this design "feature" .. so we don't unintentionally blow any trannies. [Low-hanging fruit, had to go for it, but the questions is legit].

Deadpool_25 likes this.
  10. USMarine75

You're talking about something exceedingly rare. More so it would be caused by someone shorting across the poles with a screwdriver lol. Or really old wires with some shielding missing getting pushed together while someone is messing around in there while its powered up.

Bring that thing to a tech already lol.

Emperoff likes this.
  11. CTID

CTID SS.org Regular

sorry dude but this feels kind of juvenile. i don't really get the impression he was being that much of a dick, but you were 2 pages in when he said what he said after the general consensus was already "take it a to a tech"

you can fucking DIE from messing around inside an amp if you don't know what you're doing, and after 2 pages of people giving suggestions all you did was put back in the fuse you said you weren't sure is good and wondering why it isn't fixed.

just take it to a tech dude

Emperoff likes this.
  12. TheBlackBard

First page:

Both of these messages were on the first page, where I said that I wasn't going to dig around in an amp and that I'm going to take it to a tech.

He was being dickish, and it sounds like neither of you read the first page, because you'd know that if you did, I came to the conclusion to take it to a tech pretty goddamn early in the thread.

13. Emperoff

Emperoff Not using 5150s Contributor

I found it quite amusing, tbh. The overreaction was quite hilarious. :lol:

You can call me a dick as much as you want, but I stand by what I said. No one opens the trunk of the car with no mechanic knowledge and starts a poking around with the help of some random internet dudes when the car doesn't start. The most aggravating thing is that, as @CTID said, you can fucking die if you touch something that you shouldn't.

But hey, don't mind me. Just take it to a tech.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2021
  14. wheresthefbomb

wheresthefbomb SS.org Regular

Seems like you've already got it sorted, good luck at the tech, and here is an anecdote for you.

My X100b had a very similar issue, though it never did power back on (which I only tried twice - to see if a new fuse fixed it, and then again with a new set of tubes). The tech told me they'd repaired a faulty component, it happened again, at which point I realized upon inspecting the tech's work that they had been soldering the broken leg of a wire-wound back together (I don't think you can get the exact part anymore, hence the repair job). It was overheating and failing, so the second time they also glued the wire-wound to the PCB with some kind of supposedly-heat-resistant glue. All well until I pushed the amp, then the glue and solder melted making a big fucking mess all over the inside of the chassis. Mostly blues dads around here, I don't think they were used to doing work for people who regularly push their amps as hard as I do.

I will give credit though, the did finally fix it with no additional charge, cleaned the whole PCB, and ran a heat sink off to the chassis so that it would never, ever happen again. Amp has been working great ever since and I have tremendous peace of mind about pushing it to its limits that comes ultimately from the tech's work.

15. TheBlackBard

Once again, thank you to everyone who attempted to actually help that also possesses passable reading comprehension and not a desire to be condescending, especially after it was clearly stated that I am taking it to a tech not long after I made the thread. Admins, feel free to lock. @MaxOfMetal @Randy

Last edited: Jun 16, 2021
    Spaced Out Ace likes this.
  16. Spaced Out Ace

"Push it to the limit!" Scarface montage here.

Dineley likes this.
  17. Edika

Edika SS.org Regular

Don't lock it yet man! Let us know what the issue was after the tech has a look at it and hopefuly fixes the issue with not too much cost to you!

18. cardinal

cardinal F# Dive Bomber

Hope you get it fixed. I just love the 6505+. Killer amp.

19. budda

budda Do not criticize as this Contributor

Next time, skip the thread and take it in at the first sign of trouble :lol:.

Emperoff likes this.
  20. TheBlackBard

Will definitely be doing so, for sure. :lol: Took it in this past weekend, and the guy is a little backed up so it might be a minute.

budda likes this.