6505+ 120 Head shuts itself off after 20 minutes of playing

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by TheBlackBard, Jun 5, 2021.

1. USMarine75

USMarine75 Colorless green ideas sleep furiously Contributor

Yeah something overheated and eventually gave out. Again, I'll take power problems all day over signal. Especially intermittent signal ones. Tech should be able to fix with one hour service - prob $60 depending on where you live.

2. TheBlackBard

TheBlackBard SS.org Regular

How likely is it that the transformers went out? That's what I'm most worried about.

3. budda

budda Do not criticize as this Contributor

I wouldn't have even kept trying. If you can't afford to replace the amp by blowing it up accidentally, just leave it off and book in with your tech. Trying multiple times means you're more likely to really wreck something. Especially if you took a fuse out and didn't put a new one in :lol:.

Matt08642, Emperoff and USMarine75 like this.
  4. TheBlackBard

Well the fuse is back in. After what the other guy said about it being a ceramic fuse, I put it back in and then tried the power. Basically I was seeing if it would come back on at all, because it's done this before without ever having changed a fuse, but it normally comes back on. This is the same one that's been in it since I've had the amp, which is three years now. The last time I took it to a tech, he said that there was tension on the board and that he set it right. That was a year ago.

5. c7spheres

c7spheres GuitArtist

Did you put a new fuse in and still nothing? If yes, and you don't wanna poke around inside then it's tech time, but only first checking the new fuse is good with a multimeter, because those can be bad right out of the package too.

6. TheBlackBard

Nah same fuse. I could try a new one, but man, I think smart money would be to just leave it off and take it to a tech. Smarter money would be to follow my wife's advice, get rid of it, and get the Rockerverb I've been wanting. :lol:

7. c7spheres

c7spheres GuitArtist

Yep, If you feel at odds with it then it's tech time. Hopefully he says it was just a fuse and throws you a discount. Some techs are cool like that.

8. Thrashman

Thrashman Got Groove?

just buy a new fuse, dude.

9. mongey

mongey SS.org Regular

Recurring issue I wouldn’t be fucking Around with it unless you know what your
    Doing. I def don’t. I’d take it to a tech.

I fried my first tube amp just persisting when it had an internet fault. It was intermittently power cycle ing when I played it. Not all the time , but enough I should have known better.

went up in a tiny puff of smoke and I thought it was just a Power tube , which had happened before. But no. Enough of the pcb was fried that it was a write off.

oneblackened likes this.
  10. Emperoff

Emperoff Not using 5150s Contributor

You know, when a car won't start most people take it to the mechanic. You would think people would do the same with amps, but strangley they post in message boards instead as if that will magically fix them.

If you can't figure out what's wrong, it's time to take the amp to someone who will. :shrug:

budda likes this.
  11. budda

budda Do not criticize as this Contributor

Also keep the 6505 and then buy the Orange.

USMarine75 and Emperoff like this.
  12. TheBlackBard

Okay you know, I was just asking to see if anyone possibly knew, maybe it's something I wouldn't have to take it to a tech for. Maybe it was a tube that was going bad, because you know... not everyone knows as much as the "Great Emperoff" who knows everything. Because if it were a tube going bad, I possibly could fix it myself, instead of having a tech do it. I'm sorry that my knowledge of tube amps doesn't match up to the greatest forum poster that ever lived.

To everybody else that didn't feel the need to act like a REDACTED, thank you for your advice. It will be going to the tech on Monday and the reason it didn't go yesterday was because the tech closes at 4 p.m. and the incident happened very shortly before, not leaving enough time, so that should answer Captain Emp's possible inquiry as to why I came here asking what could be wrong instead of taking it right to the tech, knowing full well that the only way I could make it to one, I would have to violate traffic laws and endanger people's lives, all for the sake of finding out what's wrong with my amp. To @Emperoff is that a sufficient explanation? Ego satisfied?

Last edited: Jun 6, 2021
    mgcasella and Spaced Out Ace like this.
  13. TheBlackBard

I do plan on keeping both, assuming this one isn't fried, because a 6505+ and a Rockerverb Mark III would be a hell of a rig. With the EQ I have, I definitely think it would be a rig I'd be satisfied with amp-wise. Now guitar wise? That's another story. :lol:

14. DudeManBrother

DudeManBrother Hey...how did everybody get in my room?

If a tube was red plating it could certainly cause a fuse to blow, but it sounds like it didn’t blow before, and instead, the power was abruptly cut off. I’d check the power switch first. If you have a multi meter you can take the chassis out, and measure the line AC voltage after the fuse to make sure 120v is getting to the switch. You should have 120v going into one leg, and the other should have 120v when switched on, but show 0v when off. If it shows 0v in the on position then the switch is bad.

The amp should say exactly what fuse needs to be installed, so get the correct one, and not just a direct replacement of the ceramic; because people often stick whatever they find in their amps, which can destroy transformers if they’re too big to blow when necessary.

Spaced Out Ace likes this.
  15. TheBlackBard

It does. I have another fuse, but I think instead of risking more damage by trying to turn it on, I'm going to take it to a tech. I love this amp, and I just started getting some amazing tones with an EQ, so I'm going to err on the side of caution that I should have been doing. In the meantime, since I don't have an amp to play, guess it's time to finally get a Peavey Bandit to play when stuff like this happens.

c7spheres likes this.
  16. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace $$60,000,000,000

Leatherface is actually educational, instead of being a dick.

DudeManBrother likes this.
  17. TheBlackBard

Yes he is, and it is very much appreciated!

18. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace $$60,000,000,000

@DudeManBrother is good people. Met him a few times, and talked to him quite a bit. Pretty knowledgeable.

DudeManBrother likes this.
  19. DudeManBrother

DudeManBrother Hey...how did everybody get in my room?

20. Emperoff

Emperoff Not using 5150s Contributor

Nobody does. :yoda:

c7spheres likes this.