6 to an 8?

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by ZeroCool, Sep 3, 2011.

1. ZeroCool

ZeroCool Active Member

Figured if I'm going to buy one, why not skip the 7 and go for the 8. Anyone done this? Thought about buying a shitty 7 to ease the transition but not sure.

2. Necris

Necris Bonitis.

6 to 8 is what I did. There's a small adjustment period but nothing you shouldn't be able to handle. Go for it. :yesway:

3. TheBotquax

TheBotquax SS.org Regular

Just go for it, I did and it took about a day and a half for me to get used to the neck and extra strings! Plus, everyone knows that 8>7>>>>>>>>>>>6

4. thrsher

thrsher \m/-_-\m/

doable...i did it kinda lol but if you are going from 25.5 to say 28, def a solid adjustment.

5. Oceans

Oceans Banned

I'd go for the seven first, cause even after owning a seven, and going to the music store to try an 8 I wouldn't say it's for me... The neck is really wide, there's more strings, it was easy to get lost, it may work for you, considering I had only been playing it for a couple of minutes it was very difficult for me to transition from a 7 to an 8. The more logical decision would be to get the 7 first, but if you think you would need an 8 for your music just go for it. Don't waste your time if you don't think you'll need the 7

6. groovemasta

groovemasta SS.org Regular

There's a few of thread about this, its definitely doable with some adjustments that shouldnt take too long.
    I will be doing it myself whenever mine gets here :lol:

7. Dayn

Dayn silly person

If you're sure you want an eight, get an eight. I went from a 25.5" six, to dropping a tonne of money on a 27" eight I'd never played before because I knew I wanted it. Transition? Easy. It just took a bit to get used to, is all. A six is a different instrument to a seven, a seven is a different instrument to an eight... no need to buggerise around, go for what you want.

...I still want a seven, though. :( Then again, I want a lot of things.

8. thedarkoceans

thedarkoceans Banned

a guy in the forum has said "if you made it from 0 to 6,you'll do it well from 6 to 8"

9. gr8Har V

gr8Har V dimini....

This is why stores like guitar center need to have at least ONE 8 STRING on the floor for people to try out. It depends to much on the persons personal preference for there to be some general rule of adjustment. You wouldn't think just one 8 string on the floor would be too much to ask of those corporate douchebags. Chances are most people would be like "hey this isn't as much of an adjustment as i thought it would be" and they would buy one, as oppose to not buying one because they assume it's a huge adjustment, and the company would make more money. Then 8 strings would become more popular and we would have more than 3 good 8 string bands (Meshuggah, AAL, and Periphery, IMO).

10. groovemasta

groovemasta SS.org Regular

too true, surprisingly a local shop here has an RGA8 that I've briefly got my hands on but the gauging of the strings was just horrific, I don't know if that's what the stock strings are but it looked like they took the E and A from a standard bass set and just put it on :lol:

11. walleye

walleye SS.org Regular

the company would make more money if instead of filling that hook with an 8 they just chuck a les paul epiphone in instead. sad but true

12. electricred

electricred Banned

It'd be great if morons would stop creating this thread. It's such a pointless question.

13. Ben.Last

Ben.Last Formerly Lern2Swim

Do NOT just skip to an 8 with the thought process of "why not just go for 1 more string." While the actual adjustment process isn't anything difficult, 8 strings aren't for everyone. Personally, I skipped directly to an 8 but that had more to do with me being comfortable with the even larger neck (and that's still over half of the reason why I'm sticking with them)

So, if you want to play 8s, don't worry about skipping directly to them from 6s. If you aren't sure though, play one or two first.

14. Explorer

Explorer He seldomly knows...

Formerly from Cucaramacatacatirimilcote...
    I've read enough threads on this and other forums where someone asks, "Why should I get gear X?" Often the questioner is on the fence, doesn't yet have a need for the gear, and wants to be argued into buying it.

If you need and can figure out how you'll use a piece of gear, I say go for it.

If you don't yet know that you need/want a particular piece... why not wait until you *do* know?

I went straight from 6-string guitar and 4-string bass to 8-string ERG. On another ERG, I also went from 6-string full-fifths tuning to 8-string full-fifths tuning. I *knew* how I would use it. I didn't have to ask others about it.

But... it's your cash, and if you want to spend it on something you're not sure about, who am I to tell you not to spend your money on a shaky whim instead of something you're convinced on?

15. gr8Har V

gr8Har V dimini....

it'd be great if morons like u stopped with the pointless negative comments that add nothing to the thread

16. JoeJohn777

JoeJohn777 Active Member

6 to 8 is what I did and the transition was perfectly fine for me because I had played on 8's before and knew it was exactly what I wanted. I see you're from Santa Monica; head over to Guitar Center Hollywood and play on the 8's they have there (I believe they have an RG2228 and a Schecter Hellraiser Special C-8). Just make sure an 8 is exactly what you want. And like Explorer said, make sure you know what you will use an 8 for. I doubt you want to just buy one and end up realizing you have two extra strings that you never use.

17. AnarchyDivine88

AnarchyDivine88 SS.org Regular

The transition from 6 to 8 strings isn't that difficult, especially if you're going from a scale length of like 25.5" to 27", like I did. It'll take a few days or maybe a week or more to get used to it, but it's worth it. You may also feel a tiny bit of strain on your muscles when you're playing wider stretching chords(because of the longer scale) and when you're playing scales and exercises(because you're adding more notes and also stretching wider).

I went from a 6 string to an 8 string and I found it fairly easy to adjust. Some people say you should get a 7 string first, but most people don't have the money to buy both, so if you can only get one, definitely go right for the 8.

And I'm about to make the transition again when my custom 10 string is finished being built :D

18. IAMTHESQUALL

IAMTHESQUALL Member

I went from a 6 to an 8 as well, and I'd definitely recommend getting a 7 first. Jumping from 6 strings to 8 strings is a big change all at once, and while it didn't take me too long to adjust to the wider neck, what was difficult was writing. It takes a while to figure out how to implement the extra two bottom strings into your writing in a way that sounds good, and not just use them for breakdowns. That being said, I'd say pick up a 7, spend some time with that, and once you're getting comfortable playing that, possibly sell it and buy an 8.

19. Dayn

Dayn silly person

I would have to respectfully disagree re writing. I've had my eight-string for nearly two years, and I still have a lot more to unlock. I'm still unlocking the seventh string. Hell, I'm still finding out what to do with the original six strings... Though I think I am a far better songwriter for playing what I want to. If I had waited, I don't think I'd ever be ready for an eight, let alone a seven.

20. 8stringthrash8

8stringthrash8 Member

well its all about experience really i played 6 stringers for like 5 years before i picked up an 8 string and the transition is real easy just remember your playing an 8 not a 6 and u should be good at playing 6 string songs on an 8 in about 2 days tops it took me like a day and it was easyier considering i have short fingers so transitioning was easyfor me but u cant tell till u pick up one