jyym

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
my personal favorites as of now:
Blackbird
Fortitude
59 Custom

I'm going to be revisiting the black heavens/afwayu eventually, so we'll see if they can reclaim their spots.
Thanks. I read your comments about the alnico vs ceramic bridge for the black heavens. Will you eventually try the ceramic? The people want to know!

KnightBrolaire

Grand Wiggle Wizard
Reaction score
Thanks. I read your comments about the alnico vs ceramic bridge for the black heavens. Will you eventually try the ceramic? The people want to know!
No. I have too many other demos I want to do. Magnet swaps are easy enough that other people can do them if they're curious

KnightBrolaire

Grand Wiggle Wizard
Reaction score
F30+ 59 custom hybrid video is up:

I'm going to skip the nazgul and move onto the alt 8. I think we all know what a nazgul sounds like by this point :lol:

KnightBrolaire

Grand Wiggle Wizard
Reaction score
initial thoughts on the Alt 8: Low end is a bit bigger than the 59 hybrid, mids are relatively broad, high end is a tad mellower. It's higher output versus the 59 hybrid but actually has quite nice cleans, and the split tones are very nice and chimey.
Here's a quick clip through the f30:

youngthrasher9

Ur Mom Is Too Much Gain
Reaction score
initial thoughts on the Alt 8: Low end is a bit bigger than the 59 hybrid, mids are relatively broad, high end is a tad mellower. It's higher output versus the 59 hybrid but actually has quite nice cleans, and the split tones are very nice and chimey.
Here's a quick clip through the f30:

That sounds awesome, man. I think it’s a little less articulate than your clips of the 59/C, but man it sounds awesome. I think I like it a little better actually.

KnightBrolaire

Grand Wiggle Wizard
Reaction score
That sounds awesome, man. I think it’s a little less articulate than your clips of the 59/C, but man it sounds awesome. I think I like it a little better actually.
Thanks! To be fair to the alt8, I was using the contour channel for this clip (which adds a bunch of gain/low end and mids/gnarliness), whereas I typically use the crunch channel of the f30 for the final clips (which is much more tame overall). Not a total apples to apples comparison.
Here's some off the cuff mesa mk3 clips of the alt 8 :

Last edited:

BrutalRob

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Woat? No elysians amongst your top 3?
Haven't been through the whole thread lately so help me out pls, what brands were the fortitude and blackbird?

KnightBrolaire

Grand Wiggle Wizard
Reaction score
Woat? No elysians amongst your top 3?
Haven't been through the whole thread lately so help me out pls, what brands were the fortitude and blackbird?
It's just about which pickups I enjoyed the most in this particular guitar.
I still really like Elysians though. I have 4 guitars loaded with them right now lol

KnightBrolaire

Grand Wiggle Wizard
Reaction score
I've run the Alternative 8 through my F30, Revv 100p, Mesa Mk3, Kustom Double Cross so far.
These are the characteristics that pop through regardless of amp/speakers/IRs I use:

A bit chunkier than the 59 hybrid on the low end. Still decently responsive/tight though. Mids and highs can get uber djenty/spiky in the split coil positions. North coil in particular is grindy and spanky af, almost like a p90. Parallel mode is where it's at with this pickup. It still retains the muscular voicing but with much better overall clarity compared to series mode.
If you like modern grindier/more aggressive feeling tones but not at the expense of good cleans/split tones, this is a very good choice. The 59/custom hybrid is a bit more tonally versatile but both are going to be substantially better than say a black winter bridge or nazgul ime.

Here's a ton of Double Cross clips:

and here's more Mesa MK3 clips:

I always start the clips on series, then move to parallel, then south coil, then north coil.

Last edited:

KnightBrolaire

Grand Wiggle Wizard
Reaction score
A bunch of Megalith Beta clips. High gain stuff is riff6-riff1. cleans are the rest.

I'll throw the DIs and f30 vid up later.