6 string pickup shootout. No bull, no frills.

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by KnightBrolaire, Dec 14, 2017.

1. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire We need ERG Ironbirds

Thoughts on the Oil City Blackbird bridge: It feels a bit lower output than the dragon suit though still does a great job for extreme metal riffage (and other genres). Where it beats the dragon suit is in the cleans and mid gain tones. The cleans are really nice with this pickup, there's a bit of sparkle to the high end. There seems to be a low mid nice growl similar to the afwayu or dragon suit, but with a tiny bit more upper mids and highs as well.
    For djentyboiz there's good spanky sounds to be had with it as well, and you don't even need to coil split the pickup. For people not chasing djenty tones, the pickup still delivers those with ease imo. I could get some pretty tasty 80s thrash/hair metal tones and modern death metal tones out of the pickup. Hell I even got a pretty nice slide tone at one point. It's a neat pickup, hopefully the clips/DIs will convey that.

DIs/other clips will happen sometime next week, then onto the black heavens.

khm likes this.
  2. KnightBrolaire

Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
    khm likes this.
  3. khm

khm SS.org Regular

KnightBrolaire likes this.
  4. Choop

Choop n______n

Thanks for doing these videos. I really liked your representations of the Duncan Custom 5 and the BKP Nailbomb quite a bit. Looking for a pickup to drop into my SG bridge position, and the Custom 5/Custom had always been an option...maybe even a Custom 8. I have a 498t in the bridge in there now that I swapped the A5 for an A8 magnet and while it did make an interesting change, I still am not super content with it in that guitar, especially compared to my V and Explorer which both have a 500t and are pretty gnarly sounding.

Zoobiedood likes this.
  5. KnightBrolaire

Custom 5 is a great pickup imo, especially if you have an amp that already has a good amount of midrange, which counters the slight notch in the midrange. It unfairly gets a rep as a super scooped pickup (it's really not) and a rep as being flubby on the low end (it's not). I think it's one of the most versatile bridge pickups that seymour duncan makes by far. I can go from playing thrashy 80s type riffage to Gojira/modern death metal tones to stoner/doom/rock/whatever genre of riffage I can throw at it.
    If you want to see another custom 5 demo, here's another I made with my charvel star:

Choop likes this.
  6. Choop

Choop n______n

Thanks for the reply! I think the Custom 5 sounds hella good! It sounds less scooped than the regular Custom. I use a Mesa Mark III and Dual Recto, so the amp choice isn't all that far off either. I'm leaning toward trying a Custom 5, and potentially just making it a Custom 8.

Zoobiedood likes this.
  7. KnightBrolaire

Just try the standard custom 5 and see how you like it first. the alnico 8 mag adds in more lows and highs, which really isn't necessary, especially if you have a mark 3 and a recto lol.
    I've made some custom 5 clips with my mk3 in the past, so I'll post those up as well to give you a better idea of how it plays with that amp

8. Choop

Choop n______n

Yeah for sure! I guess I'd just be more curious about the C8 than anything, since the dudes at that Seymour Duncan forum say it's pretty great in SG guitars. But I do think the Custom 5 should be adequate. It would definitely be cool to still see your videos using the Mark 3!

Zoobiedood likes this.
  9. KnightBrolaire

Here's the MK3 clips
    https://www.mediafire.com/file/173fsqqnpcm8ee1/custom5_mk3.zip/file

10. Choop

Choop n______n

Wow thanks! Sounds killer, and pretty balanced on the Mark with it's midsy qualities. I'm sold on it I think as far as a SD pickup option for the SG. A Custom 5+Pearly Gates neck would probably make for a really cool combo.

11. KnightBrolaire

Glad to help
    I've never tried the pearly gates neck.
    I really enjoy the 59 neck paired with the custom 5. It's a nice kind of mellow/warm pickup that works great for shreddy leads or lead work in general. An alnico ii pro or a liquifire would also work well since they're in a similar vein imo.

Choop likes this.
  12. KnightBrolaire

13. Xaeldaren

Xaeldaren SS.org Regular

I can't wait to hear your thoughts on the black heavens; it might decide what I go for for my next guitar between those, juggernauts, black dogs, and impulses.

14. KnightBrolaire

Black Heavens are installed. I only messed with them briefly but they're very interesting. The bridge feels nowhere near as stiff as the m6 and has much better cleans. It's a lot more versatile of a bridge pickup from my initial tests/noodling. The neck pickup is very mellow/warm/smooth sounding and works wonderfully for lead tones. The M series neck always felt kind of meh to me, as it feels "colder", especially on the cleans. The middle position is the best position as it gets some chime/jangle that neither pickup really possesses. Probably the best non-split middle position I've heard from humbuckers tbh.

15. KnightBrolaire

16. KnightBrolaire

17. Xaeldaren

Xaeldaren SS.org Regular

Thanks for the test clips! The clean sounds absolutely lovely. I love the growl at arounjd 2:40 in the brootz clip.

I'm considering the black heaven for Schecter 7-string in G# (ash body, neckthru maple/walnut/padouk), and I want something tight, very clear, medium-ish output, and very dynamic. I'm kind of stuck between this, the impulse, juggernaut, black dog. What do you think would suit that application the best? I've got the ragnaroks in a similar guitar, and I like them a lot, but I want to try something different.

18. KnightBrolaire

I'd say go impulse.
    Impulse is the most balanced set in terms of eq and can cover a metric ton of sounds. They stay tight, have quite nice cleans, and they have a nice growl in the midrange like the black heavens as well.
    Black Heaven and Black dog sets might be too bright in that guitar, plus the black dogs are the least tight of all the options.
    Juggernauts are very responsive to picking changes but the voicing is kind of weird. It has a vocal/cocked wah esque midrange and some extra low mids that can make it feel bloated in the wrong guitar. Since you already have ragnaroks I'd say skip the juggs, rags are like a tweaked hotter voicing of the juggs.

19. Xaeldaren

Xaeldaren SS.org Regular

Sick. I've been going back and forth on the impulses in my head for a while, but that's really helpful. Thanks a tonne!

20. KnightBrolaire

no problem, I'm sure you'll enjoy the Impulses. They're great pickups.

On another note, if anyone is interested I can include some clips with my other amps using the black heavens. Otherwise I'm just going to do the F30 vid for uniformity purposes and then move onto the Dominger Rider bridge.