6 string (piccolo?) bass - 31 fret(less)

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by jonajon91, Jun 10, 2013.

1. jonajon91

jonajon91 New Picture

So I have a thread open on the luthier talk forum up there on the right about my future build project, but it is my first build, it is in the wrong section and i'm not getting the help that I need, so I decided to have a thread on here because why not eh. It is also worth noting that this is my first build and I have next to no experience with woodwork or CAD and my knowledge of woods it extremely limited. I am just a semi-productive 18 year old with 14 weeks of summer to kill before uni. I must also add that this will be a slow process with lots of pictures, if anyone subscribes to this thread they will be in it for the long haul.
    My most recent activity is some CAD that I that shows a rough plan of what I am going to do. All of this comes with great thanks to HERETIC who uploaded step by step tutorials with CAD software and gave me the confidence to take this on. (Seriously - Plans: How I make them. (Lots of images.) - Luthier Forums)

Anywhoo, on with the plans
    - 6 string
    - tuned (B / F# / B / E / A / D) - this works as one tone up with the bottom string left at B - lets me play higher solo stuff and work with an 8 string guitar.
    - though neck
    - 33" scale length
    - 31 frets - no fret lines
    - cutaway ends roughly 27th fret
    - upper horn ends at 10th/9th fret to avoid neck dive
    - one passive bridge pickup (knowledge still limited)
    - fretless - avoiding metalwork and accurate measuring :D
    - lightweight

---

From here on out, I might just quote the important parts of the other thread to avoid typing unnecessary things twice.

---

This is as far as I am at the moment and could honestly use some feedback. Also a big thank you to anyone who read through this whole thing.

---

(huge thank you to ss.org's great website. As I was typing this out I identically closed this tab instead of HERETICS thread without saving any of this. I quickly re-opened this tab (chrome bitches!) and all of the text was this there. /HeartAttack) :agreed:

2. jonajon91

jonajon91 New Picture

Bump - I really could use some feedback here.