6 string multiscale

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by Axewield31, Mar 20, 2015.

1. Axewield31

Axewield31 SS.org Regular

I've been looking into multiscale guitars recently. I'm looking to buy one and have a budget of about $2000AUD, however I'd like to spend less than that if possible.
    I was originally looking at the Ormsby GTR run, and at the moment that's at the top of my list, however, I'm keen to look at other options. I saw there was a Strandberg production 7. Do they do a 6? That'd be cool. And how about Halo? I've heard about issues regarding quality, and I'm not to keen, they're made in China, aren't they? But I am really happy with the pecs I can get for the price.

Any advice regarding this, and any companies I've overlooked would be great, thanks!

2. 7JxN7

7JxN7 SS.org Regular

In your price range and living in Australia your main options will be the Ormsby GTR run, which I am currently a part of and it would be my suggestion, there is the Agile Pendulum series (after shipping and depending on the AUS$ this will run you somewhere between 1000 - 1400), The Strandberg OS (after shipping and AUS$ this may actually come out being above your 2k limit), Halo custom or production (after after shipping and AUS$ this will likely cost you somewhere around the Agile Pendulum to Ormsby GTR), and there is also the models that ET guitars are starting soon.

When you take into account customs fees from buying internationally, shipping and the exchange rate of our currency at the moment, the Ormsby IMHO looks like the best bang for your buck with less fees on top of the cost and is likely to be of a better quality than most others in the price range, the GTR's and Strandberg OS seem like they will be on around the same level quality wise but are 2 very different guitars in design an construction.

I currently own and imported an Agile Pendulum 7 and I am waiting on 2 Orsmby multiscales this year. There is a bunch of research to do and different things to take into account when buying in Australia unfortunately, but hopefully I can be of some help man!

3. Axewield31

Thanks for your help.
    Do you know anything about the quality of the ET or the Halo?

4. porknchili

porknchili G.A.S.ITIS

From what I've heard, ET's quality is excellent while Halo's is better than it was, but still iffy in some cases. On the other hand, there's also Shawn guitars (LOL) which, I'm pretty damn sure, is made at the WMI factory in Korea and is basically Agile for less. Of course, it won't be the same quality as ET or Ormsby (I'd bet you'd get a better instrument than Halo though), but you'd be able to upgrade the hell out of it and have more money left. Also, Strandberg is making 6 string OS', but I don't know when they'll be released and they'll most likely be the same quality as the top end Schecters.

Still, I'd say ET or Ormsby GTR would be your best bets if you want something worry free and quality-a-F.

5. Axewield31

Awesome. I was thinking I'd give Halo a miss. Wasn't totally confident in them from the start
    Haven't heard heard of Shawn before, but if they're made at WMI Korea (where the Ormsbys and Strandbergs are made), they could be worth looking into.
    Does anyone know where the production ETs are made? I assume they're outsourced to a bigger factory.

Edit: Also heard of a company called Bad Apple guitars here in Australia. They're doing a production multiscale T shape guitar that I really like the look and the specs of. Does anyone know anything about these guys?

6. ET Guitars

ET Guitars Luthier

The ET WarMachine will be built here in Australia (NSW), in small limited batches, 10-12 guitars max in this first production run. Check out our thread in Dealer section, where we give some details and mockups of possible options and configs. There are a HEAP of options available, have a close look.

I have seen and played a Bad Apple. Its ok, looks to be made in similar factory to Agile. The designer is somewhere in NSW, and all manufacture is outsourced to Asian factory.

7. Axewield31

I like the sound of that! I'll pop on over and check it out. Sounds pretty sweet.

Okay, thanks for that!