5150 vs. Bogner for drop tuned metal??

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by decoy205, Sep 14, 2008.

1. decoy205

decoy205 SS.org Regular

What do you guys think??

I have an uberkab and love the sound of my friends 5150 through it but should I consider going for a bogner xtc or uberschall??

What would you guys do? I play mostly drop tuned chug style. I need a clear bottom end and tight highs.

2. budda

budda Do not criticize as this Contributor

can you test out an XTC or uber next to your buddy's 5150?

3. sepherus

sepherus The Crimson Comedian Contributor

I wouldn't recommend the XTC as that is more of a rock amp.

The Uberschall isn't really my thing, but they are pretty brutal. They are voiced differently, and the gain structure is a bit different in regards to the 5150. They have a better clean channel, but also cost more.

If you get the chance play them side by side, and make sure you have a lot of time to tweek them. I think you would be able to dig either in the right circumstances.

4. The Trooper

The Trooper Disposable Hero

There's quite a price difference in the two. The 5150 can def do brutal with the best of them. If you need cleans, I recommend running into the lower gain input ("Normal Gain") and not the high gain input and kick on the "Bright" switch. Run the Presence high on it and adjust the Treble to taste. Keep the Gain on the clean channel at a conservative level, and then run the Lead channel for your heavy stuff with Gain on about "3" with a boost in front (Maxon OD808 is still my fav).

5. Crucified

Crucified Deathgrind Maniac

the uber is everything good about the 5150 made better.

6. jerm

jerm SS.org Regular

The 5150's cleans aren't horrible. With the help of a decent EQ and delay pedal they could turn out pretty decent.

For the distortion part of thing, the best thing would be to either try them both out or watch some videos and listen to some audio clips.

Also, the Uberschall has a MUCH larger price tag. And there have been some reliability concerns with the 5150.

Personally, i would go with the 5150, or an ENGL savage/powerball.

7. Brord

Brord Furor Teutonicus

8. 7 Dying Trees

7 Dying Trees Forum MVP

7th Ethereal Plane of interstellar hell, Innit Bru
    I dunno man, the 5150 is a workhorse amp and built pretty solidly.

I think the main difference is that the uber will give you boutique tone, better cleans (the 5150 clean is horrific, no point using it as anything other than crunch, which it is very good at)

Also, the 5150 is better with the bias mod done to it as well.

9. loktide

loktide dotlike Contributor

well it's all taste... there's no better or worse between both amps (with exception of cleans :D )

the 5150 rhythm tone is definitely flawless for what it is, and i wouldn't say a 'boutique' amp like the ├╝berschall will sound 'better', it's just different.
    i would also strongly advice you NOT to buy an amp you haven't played by yourself.

10. HighGain510

HighGain510 Contributor

Did you "hear" this or are you speaking from a personal experience? :scratch: My experience with Peavey stuff thus far has been that they are very solid amps and they're built like a freaking brick. :lol: I've never experienced reliability issues with any of the 5150/6505 amps I've owned and I had a 5150 for over a year. :)

11. S-O

S-O t(-.-t)

5150's are made from 100% pure brutal.

Go 5150.

12. The Trooper

The cleans on the 5150 are fine. They're not Fender-ish, but they're usable. If you want to have decent cleans on the 5150, stop plugging into the "High Gain" input. Plug into the "Normal Gain" input, keep the "Bright" switch engaged and the Treble lower than the Presence, using the Presence to dial in high end. Put the Gain on the clean channel to a moderate level, and you're good to go.

If you plug into the High Gain input, then your cleans will suffer, plus your OD channel will add more noise. The "Normal Gain" input is where the mojo is. You don't need to use the "High Gain" input, it's overkill...it's noisier...and it makes your cleans suffer. Even on the "Normal Gain" input, I'm running my Gain on a 3 with no gain on my boost pedal (Maxon OD808).

I also think people tend to run the low end higher than needed on these amps all the time. You play guitar, not bass. I tend to keep the Resonance around 5 and then use the Bass control to attentuate ow end. Anything higher and you start adding more sub-lows than I like at higher volumes.

I also like the bias mod for the 5150's, have it on my current one. Between those two, I'd honestly rather have a 5150...or for the price tag, a 5150 + $1500 more worth of gear over just a Bogner.

13. blackrobedone

blackrobedone SS.org Regular

Hi,
    I can attest to reliability issues with 5150 II. I had it in the shop 3 times before I had to pawn it. It kept having problems with capacitors burning out on the board.

Anyways, I would not get the 5150 simply because you will sound like everybody else.

14. loktide

loktide dotlike Contributor

sorry man, but that's plain stupid. Playing a 'rare' rig won't make you sound better or more unique by itself. I would be more focused on buying an amp that compliments the playing style and musical direction, rather than how many other people are also playing it.

15. The Trooper

I agree, the player makes a tremendous difference. My bandmate picks up my guitar, plugged into my amp, with my settings...and sounds completely different than me. The amp lays a foundation for tone, but the individual player shapes it.

16. jerm

jerm SS.org Regular

haha im a little late but i just re-read my post and no, the 5150 is not the one i was referring to that had the reliability issues haha. I was referring to the Uberschall, the 5150 is built like a fucking tank.

17. sami

sami porkshop sammiches

+~

tone is also in the fingers.