5150 or other 5150s?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Faldoe, May 7, 2021.

1. Emperoff

Emperoff Not using 5150s Contributor

I will never get tired of saying this: The OG 5150 doesn't have a clean cahnnel, it has a "RYTHM" channel. And it sounds awesome using it as such, specially boosted.

Now, if you heathens still insist on turning it into a crappy clean channel, put a low gain tube such as a 5751 in the rythm channel positions (Or just use a modeller in 4cm, an AMT F1, a Victory V4 The Copper...).

Last edited: May 8, 2021
  2. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

I've owned a handful of 5150 series amps (still have my 00' 5150), and really, you can't go wrong with any for rock or metal. There are differences and quirks and I can definitely see how folks would prefer one over another, especially if you compare Peavey to EVH (the brand), but you'd be hard pressed to find a "bad" one of the lot.

sirbuh, FearComplex and Flappydoodle like this.
  3. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands SS.org Regular

FWIW according to James Brown, Eddie's main touring amp for the Balance tour was a 5150 Combo. ALSO according to him, the 5150II is actually based on a mod he did to Eddie's combo, since the amp got too big sounding at loud volumes and would get woofy and muddy.

So yeah, a Combo would be a good investment, just probably pair it with a closed back 4x12 to handle the low end.

And as @Emperoff said, the green channel of the 5150 isn't a clean channel, it's meant to be more like a crunch channel. Eddie very rarely used pristine clean sounds. He got his cleans with the volume knob of his guitar, since (at the time) he used a one channel cranked Marshall for most of his career.

If you ABSOLUTELY need a pristine clean channel, look into the 5152 (still kinda tricky but possible) or 5153.

EDIT: Also yeah, the 5150 combo does have reverb.

4. trem licking

trem licking SS.org Regular

Clean channel on 5150 II is great!

5. katsumura78

katsumura78 SS.org Regular

The invective is freaking sweet and has a great clean. So if you really need clean then I’d say that’s a great option.

6. Faldoe

Faldoe SS.org Regular

Thanks for the info. I might get both the 5150 head and combo too if this guy from my practice space wants to part with his.

I don’t need a clean channel. I also use my guitar volume for “cleans.”

7. USMarine75

USMarine75 The man who is tired of the anus is tired of life Contributor

As someone who owns several of all of the above (except the Invective), the answer is yes.

KailM, Ribboz, sirbuh and 3 others like this.
  8. HeHasTheJazzHands

I think the only one you can outright say meh to is that Peavey Piranha, and even then it's an okay practice amp.

USMarine75 likes this.
  9. WarMachine

WarMachine SS.org Regular

Years ago i had great results using the rhythm channel with the crunch switch in and an overdrive. Had gobs of gain like usual but cleaned up real nice.

10. Eyelessfiend

Eyelessfiend SS.org Regular

The OG 5150 definitely has a rawness that is slightly different than its variants. Having owned most of em, then sold all of em. All of them are brutal. Gotta soft spot for the 5153 though

11. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

I had a few Block Logo original 5150s for years. They are definitely the most aggressive. They sound pummeling just palm muting, and you can see why there were so many albums in the 00's where they just palm muted that low note through entire albums, lol.

For me though, I kind of got sick of the grating high end. It sounds good at being ultra aggressive, but could get grating on your nerves when you didn't want that. That is one thing I like about the 5150 III. People complain it is not as aggressive, but I like that it is a little toned down, because it sounds good for more than just palm muting the low string. Same general tone, but not quite as aggressive, which makes it more versatile.

Werecow and sleewell like this.
  12. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

For all the folks reading "Block Letter" constantly in here and dying on the inside, I feel you. I feel you so hard.

LCW, Azarea, Matt08642 and 8 others like this.
  13. Deadpool_25

Deadpool_25 SS.org Regular

At this point for me it’s just a way to avoid confusion on which version I’m talking about. Seems pretty often if you just say “5150” people will ask which one, as if it could be a I, II, or III. And no one ever says 5150I.

Ribboz likes this.
  14. cardinal

cardinal F# Dive Bomber

Yeah, writing 5151 seems weird? But if you just write 5150, it's hard to know what version we're talking about.

Maybe "block letter" will become like how people use Plexi to refer to a Marshall 1959 even though nearly all of them have metal panels. It's ok. We get what you mean.

15. Necky379

Necky379 SS.org Regular

I thought 5150 Canon Law dictates that we will refer to the first amps as “OG” and that “Block Letter” will only be used for sale purposes when setting a price and acquiring upvotes on Reddit or YouTube views? Did I miss another newsletter?

Last edited: May 10, 2021
  16. HeHasTheJazzHands

^Nah, you're right. Just check used prices and the YT views of all the wannabe influencers. If I see the Invective described as "a block letter 5150 with more features" i'm gonna skin a cat.

I just say "OG 5150" or "Original 5150". It's not too confusing. I think people get the picture when you say "original 5150", 5152, 5153, etc. I agree "block letter" sucks because it keeps that bullshit myth in the forefront. :lol:

Deadpool_25 likes this.
  17. cardinal

cardinal F# Dive Bomber

Figured I would ask this here: I have an OG 5150 (we cool?) and use the "normal gain" input. It has tons of gain by 2 on the dial and quickly gets bonkers and rather unusable after that. I've had two of these OG amps, and I'm pretty sure the first one was like this too.

I think it sounds killer, don't get me wrong, but I read folks running the gain around 4 or 5 and just wonder how that's possible.

Deadpool_25 likes this.
  18. HeHasTheJazzHands

I was watching this video of Ola. He has the gain at like 4 and it's already in "enough gain" territory for me. :lol:

cardinal likes this.
  19. Bearitone

Bearitone SS.org Regular

Guys just say “6505”. Fender owns the 5150 name now anyway and we all know 6505 = 5150 Sig = 5150 Block Letter.

20. Deadpool_25

Deadpool_25 SS.org Regular

What you need is a new amp.

cardinal likes this.