5150 mods?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by King Belial, Sep 20, 2020.

1. budda

budda Do not criticize as this Contributor

Someone who's played one in a band lately correct me if I'm wrong, but is the "high end fizz" the high end that lets the amp sit separately from the cymbals in a band situation? And probably disappears in a band setting without extreme presence/treble/gain settings?

It would make total sense for those who play alone or along to tracks but not in a band/with others.

MASS DEFECT and wakjob like this.
  2. wakjob

wakjob SS.org Regular

When I had my 6505+ 112 combo, just for love of experimenting, I plugged directly into the FX Loop 'RETURN'. And my god, as a tried and true vintage Fender amp nut, I was floored at what an amazing clean tone I was getting.

MASS DEFECT and budda like this.
  3. KailM

KailM SS.org Regular

Hell, the fizz disappears even playing solo in a big crowd. It only really bothers me playing by myself at home at low volumes, but an EQ pedal in the loop instantly fixes it.

Actually an EQ in the loop is the best “mod” you can do to a 5150 IMO.

rexbinary, wakjob, WarMachine and 4 others like this.
  4. ATRguitar91

ATRguitar91 SS.org Regular

I got my 6505 modded years ago by FJA, just the bias mod if I recall correctly. Looking back, it probably wasn't worth the cost, but it does sound incredible. Honestly the best thing about sending it to him was that he discovered some problems with the amp and was able to fix those. I agree with others you can get most of the benefits of modding with tube rolling and an EQ in the loop.

With regards to the fizz, in a band mix it disappears, and once the post gain is above 2 it's pretty phased out anyways. That said, been a long time since I've had it above 1 on the post gain. You can also easily tame it with an EQ in the loop as well.

HeHasTheJazzHands likes this.
  5. oneblackened

oneblackened Tube Amp Dork

So... 5150s.

There are a lot of good mods for them, most aren't particularly invasive.
    - Adjust the bias range on the 5150 II, make it adjustable on the 5150/6505. One resistor swap in the 5150 II, one resistor and a pot in the 5150. These amps don't sound good biased hot, but they do sound good when they're biased more like 50% at idle than 20%. The spitty top end fizz lessens considerably.
    - Change the screen resistors to 470R or higher (necessary if you do the choke mod!). The stock 100R screen resistors are wholly too small, especially for today's 6L6s which are not as well made as the old ones. 1K is slightly more compressed than 470R, but not a huge difference. If you want to use KT77s, 1Ks are a must.
    - On the 5150 II, bring the OD channel to 5150 values. The mid center on them is very different and I'm of the opinion that the original is better suited to metal guitar than the II.
    - On the 5150 II and the 5150, remove the 47k resistor to ground in parallel with the mid control and swap the mid control for a 25k. I'm not certain why Peavey did this but it's part of why the tonestack has a somewhat strange response.
    Add a 47pF anti-fizz cap across the phase inverter. No reason not to do this, it helps with the spitty fizz.

More involved:
    - Convert the tonestack driver stage to a DC coupled cathode follower. Not particularly hard, but certainly more involved. The amp will be a lot louder at the same volume setting as there's way less insertion loss through the tonestack, so you may want to consider adding a voltage divider after the master if you do this - or just change the master to a different pot value. This shifts the amp more towards the SLO camp sonically, and makes the tonestack a lot more effective. You can also increase the local NFB for the driver stage, if you'd rather not get this involved.
    - Swap the output transformer. The iron on these amps isn't great, and a bigger higher quality OT will improve the sound of the amp immensely. I like the ClassicTone 40-18072 "100W Project".
    - Add a 10H 200mA choke before the screen node in place of the big 400R dropping resistor. This makes a bigger difference than you'd expect, and one I like a lot. The amp firms up and is quieter. This necessitates relocating the standby switch to before the HT rectifier, but that's not exactly a hard mod to do.

efiltsohg likes this.
  6. BadSeed

BadSeed SS.org Regular

I've owned more 5150/6505 variants than I can count. I had the bias mod done to one of them. The sonic differences are purely personal preference. I personally did not care for it, as it made the amp warmer, darker and smoother. I like the rawness of the 5150, including the high end presence (not fizz once you turn the amp up) so it just didn't suit my tastes

I scored a stupid deal on an FJA Modded 5150 last year. It had the metal mod, which is basically Jerry's top end mod. Separate bias for each pair of power tubes, kt88/6l6 mixed power tubes, custom OT, choke installed, as well as numerous preamp tweaks. It is the clearest and tightest 5150 I've owned, but they seemed to have removed a bit of the cocked wah mid sound that is part of the aggressive nature of the amp. I know a lot of people complain about this, but I personally love this, and is really part of the signature 5150 voicing that makes it stand out and record so well.

These days, I have the FJA 5150, a 6505+ and a 5150 III 50, and I tend to find myself gravitating towards the 5150 III anyways. There are so many variations of this circuit, you'd probably have more luck trying out each of them and seeing what one fits your ear best instead of going down the rabbit hole of mods that may or may not give the desired result.

wakjob likes this.
  7. King Belial

King Belial SS.org Regular

i would definitely hire you. you obviously know what your doing

8. King Belial

i preordered the new 5153 50 stealth. i hope im not disappointed.

9. Dumple Stilzkin

Dumple Stilzkin Don’t be afraid to fart when you pee.

You won’t be.

10. Emperoff

Emperoff Hasta la vista, Baby Contributor

I wouldn't bet money on that :lol:

StevenC, Beheroth, broangiel and 3 others like this.
  11. Seabeast2000

Seabeast2000 lifetime novice Contributor

# disappointed has entered the chat.

broj15 likes this.
  12. King Belial

I've only had one amp that disappointed the hell out of me and that was the eggnator vengeance. that app was absolutely terrible and I can't believe people thought it sounded good Dot I had the guys with dying fetus try it out and they laughed their asses off

13. MASS DEFECT

MASS DEFECT SS.ORG Infiltrator

If anybody isn't happy with a 5150, it's just easy to stick an FM3 or AX8 (or any quality modeler for that matter) in the loop and play with the 5150/SLO/Recto/Friedman preamps and you will sound better than 85% of all stock and modded 5150s out there.

14. BadSeed

BadSeed SS.org Regular

I literally just got it in today. It's a 5150. Nothing mind blowing. The way people hype things on the internet is weird. Everyone was saying "dude this thing smokes all the others!". Low and behold, it sounds like a 5150. Lol.

efiltsohg, MASS DEFECT, budda and 2 others like this.
  15. Adieu

Adieu SS.org Regular

Shocking!

16. King Belial

So your telling me that it sounds no different than the original 5153 6l6 50 watter?

17. King Belial

I'm having a really hard time believing that this new 5153 stealth doesn't sound any better or sounds the same as the evh 5150s. Every YouTube review claims it sounds more aggressive and ballsier.

18. BadSeed

BadSeed SS.org Regular

I never said it sounds the same. I said it sounds like a 5150. It has slight variances in the voicing but it's not a massive difference. I said people have overhyped the differences.

budda likes this.
  19. budda

budda Do not criticize as this Contributor

Hype it up, sell the product.

Emperoff likes this.
  20. Seabeast2000

Seabeast2000 lifetime novice Contributor

Not complete until we get that green channel Studio One metal demo from that beard guy.

budda likes this.