5150 Iconic - New Budget 5150 from EVH Gear

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Deadpool_25, Nov 13, 2020.

1. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands SS.org Regular

Given te features this amp has, it definitely has to be. I'd be (pleasantly) surprised if it's MiM.

Whats all the doom and gloom about in the videos anyway? :lol: Are they still basing this on only having two preamp tubes? :lol:

But seriously, it's a $500 cabinet. It's just meant for beginners. FWIW the Bugera amps are meant for beginners and even with their reputation, they sound killer. Amazing sounding amps especially for the price, if you find one that's still kicking.

FWIW Wolfie's a trolling shitposter on twitter (in the best way possible) so I'd like to see his reaction. :lol:

BenjaminW and LCW like this.
  2. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace $$60,000,000,000

Might resort to posting the end of Willy Wonka (before Willy changes his tune) that they "LOSE" and "you get NOTHING!"

3. Bearitone

Bearitone SS.org Regular

The reverb listing said China?

4. MASS DEFECT

MASS DEFECT SS.ORG Infiltrator

Im just getting my hopes up and seeing things. lmao

5. Azarea

Azarea SS.org Regular

I don't get it. Is Mexico now part of 'murica ?
    I doesn't matter where it comes from, what's important is the QC. Any human sufficiently trained can solder. Most if not all components come from China anyways.
    I have a hard time finding why you'd hate on chinese made goods while embracing mexican made ones. You want cheap ; this is capitalism.

XPT707FX, Bodes, Edika and 4 others like this.
  6. LCW

LCW SS.org Regular

You bring up a good point... Shows are about to start... Young folks are likely hurting for scratch after being possibly unemployed for a little bit during the pandemic... So this 899 head/499 cab... basically 1400 kit ready to rock. Smart timing perhaps on EVH's part.

7. LCW

LCW SS.org Regular

8. LCW

LCW SS.org Regular

1/4 Power switch. That's what the description said in the Reverb listing.

Also - pretty sure it's Made in China. Whatever on that.

Aaaaannnnd..... Looking at these pictures again, and seeing where the 2 pre amp tubes are, and just having had a look inside my 100W III head, this chassis could easily be scaled to have 5, 6, 7, 8.... preamp tubes... Wouldn't be surprised if there's a family of this form factor in the future. Would make economic sense.

9. Matt08642

Matt08642 SS.org Regular

Some people on this forum are scared to set up their own guitars and get told to take them to a "qualified tech" (how anyone scared of touching the truss rod or changing their action would be able to judge the workmanship of the tech is beyond me), of course people think CHINA BAD, SOLDERING 2 HARD!! QUALIFIED TECH ONLY!! :lol:

10. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace $$60,000,000,000

I think for some, it might have something to do with products made through slavery. That might not be something some are too fond of.

FILTHnFEAR, feraledge, Ribboz and 5 others like this.
  11. ATRguitar91

ATRguitar91 SS.org Regular

I don't understand why the cabs are being mentioned so often. What's it matter if they're not great? The head is what's important here. I don't see the point in even making a corresponding cab line to go with the head anyways.

Most people posting here already have cabs they like, and there are endless options out there new and used for people to buy.

Edika, Werecow and HeHasTheJazzHands like this.
  12. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands SS.org Regular

Pretty much exactly. :lol: How many people even use the proper EVH cabs anyway? I'm sure some endorsees do, but for the most part I'm seeing everyone using the usual Mesa, Marshall, Orange, Engl, loadboxes, etc.

ATRguitar91 likes this.
  13. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Boy howdy, can't wait for all the folks who "play" barely tuned, never setup $400 LTDs they call "ESPs" through the standard presets on whatever $100 plug-in they use the free trial of complain about the number of tubes and country of origin. Good times.

Millul, Bodes, USMarine75 and 14 others like this.
  14. Azarea

Azarea SS.org Regular

I agree, but I'm fairly sure some places aren't too bad to work at in China, and some are horrible in Mexico. I feel strongly about workers rights, it just seems weird to go up in arms without knowing anything of the actual conditions.
    Back on topic, I'm actually curious to whether they went with tube gain stages and SS PI/tone stack/effects loop or if they basically put some kind of tight metal in front of a full tube power amp. I'm confident James Brown could pull off either (or anything in between) while sounding great, I just wonder which they went for and why.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2021
  15. Necky379

Necky379 SS.org Regular

What are you talking about? Some of my favorite gear is made in Mexico and my Chinese 6505+ is a lovable hunk of cold soldered shit. I hadn’t thought about it farther than that.

You should research international labor laws if you feel strongly about workers rights, your perspective may change regarding the two countries.

Couldn’t agree with you more.

Sent from my MIC IPhone

16. MASS DEFECT

MASS DEFECT SS.ORG Infiltrator

Yep. I TRY to not buy MIC as humanely as possible or even as a symbolic gesture even if some or most of the components inside are MIC. I mean even if I don't buy EVH MIC, I still buy EVH, Fender and Jackson stuff and I give money to an organization that produces stuff in China. lol I'll never win this game, I know.

All I know is that the Chinese govt and army (not the Chinese workers and people) have been effing up my home country, destroying whole reefs, and stealing islands. So yeah, it FEELS nice to not buy MIC in a sort of shallow level.

17. AussieTerry

AussieTerry SS.org Regular

Sorry to touch on it again but all the bloody youtubers not giving credit "my friend found this " yeah fuck off m8. Your channel is fucking shit.

Make sure you like subscribe hit that notification bell, sign up to my patreon, buy my shirts and go fuck yourself.

18. Azarea

Azarea SS.org Regular

That's fair.

I'm sorry I contributed to bringing a political tone to the conversation, that was uncalled for. My original point was meant to be purely technical - I still stand by that QC is paramount. FMIC makes great gear in Mexico, Peavey makes subpar gear in China. I hope EVH maintains decent quality standards through QC regardless of where it's made.

19. Necky379

Necky379 SS.org Regular

No worries friend, I hope the same.

Azarea likes this.
  20. Bearitone

Bearitone SS.org Regular

Trying to avoid buying MIC is more about not supporting communists with internment camps for muslims and a labor culture where bosses can get away with raping their workers and work them 16 hours a day 6 to 7 days a week. Quality of a finished product and ability to solder don't even come to mind.

Elric, FILTHnFEAR, profwoot and 8 others like this.