$500 Agile vs 1.7K Kiesel?

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by Carl Kolchak, Feb 18, 2019.

1. spudmunkey

spudmunkey SS.org Regular

[​IMG]

crossthestyx and The906 like this.
  2. Konfyouzd

Konfyouzd has left the building Contributor

:lol:

I had to read way too many comments before seeing this. You guys are slipping...

Paul McAleer, Hollowway and The906 like this.
  3. Randy

Randy Sous Chef Super Moderator

How about a $1.7k Agile?

4. Konfyouzd

That moment when Randy blows everyone's mind.

Randy and LeviathanKiller like this.
  5. crossthestyx

crossthestyx SS.org Regular

1) First of all you can't even compare those 2 guitars. It would be like comparing a toyota corolla to a corvette. Yeah they're both 7 string guitars, but the Kiesel is a neck through or set neck with a scalloped heel. And the Agile is a bolt-on with no such loving contours for playing up high. 2) You're getting no inlays on the Agile. 3) The Keisel comes with Hipshot bridge, my Agile which is the $700 model, (neck through) came with a non-universal 3 screw mounting bridge. Which essentially means you can never upgrade it to a Hipshot unless you drill new holes in your guitar. 4) Agile makes their headstocks small which means they cram 7 medium sized "light" grover tuners, that can ONLY be replaced with the same junk. Lots of initial tuning problems with my Agile. 5) The Seymour Duncan Blackouts on my guitar only have a piece of foam under them to keep them at the right height. There's NO SPRINGS! LOL.. And I would guess the Keisel pickups are better than the garbage Agile puts on their super cheapy. ie. "Cepheus" In short if you're just starting out on a 7, you may want to get a cheap one first. However, I would go with an Ibanez, Shecter, or a more well known brand so if you want to upgrade parts-> pickups, nuts, bridges in the future you can do so easily, because Agiles are a muther to work on. Agile doesn't always cut their nuts very well, and that's a safari as soon as you open the box not to mention trying to replace it. Again, a toyota corolla and a corvette both have 4 wheels, but it's a different driving experience. lol.. Good Luck!

6. LeviathanKiller

LeviathanKiller Knee-shooting Archer

Probably the only thing I'd really disagree on is the stock Cepheus pickups. They are actually really good imo. If you like metal stuff that is. They're fairly high in output.

crossthestyx likes this.
  7. Konfyouzd

A Corvette, though? That shit is a V6 Mustang...

crossthestyx likes this.
  8. spudmunkey

spudmunkey SS.org Regular

barely tangentially-related, mostly non-sequitor:

crossthestyx likes this.
  9. wannabguitarist

wannabguitarist Contributor

Kiesel? They're definitely Corvettes. Excellent bang for your $ performance, flashy looks, questionable quality and refinement choice, relatively poor resale, and styling that rarely ages well :lol:

(I really like both brands)

10. Konfyouzd

:lol:

11. 777timesgod

777timesgod Stop reading this...I said stop!

Aha! So he is not raising prices to fund his race car addiction, it is a tax situation that he cannot avoid. You just defended Jeff by accident, please delete your account at once and leave the forum! Everyone, please spread rumours in all forums, Facebook and Twitter that Matias is a Kiesel/Jeff Shill! :lol:

I agree on the customer service by Rondo being better, I am seeing some arrive this side of Europe as well in larger numbers than before and people who got them had nice things to see about Agile. Long may it continue.

12. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

I disagree that the two can’t be compared. You can get both in neck through or bolt on. Both come with really good sounding stock pickups. The scale lengths are the same, and both come with a couple of different inlay options. I’ve got Kiesels and Agiles, and I’d say that the Agiles are really good instruments that punch WAY above their weight. They do have thicker necks, and come with nuts that are a bit high. The kiesels play like butter right out of the gate. I personally wouldn’t get a kiesel with basic specs unless it was a killer deal, because it’s just not enough to motivate me to want to play it. But I’d totally snap up one of those used ones that has cool wood or paint, and is now priced attractively. But there are loads of guitars in the specs you’re looking for, both from these brands and others, so you should be able to zero in on something cool for a good price.

13. LeviathanKiller

LeviathanKiller Knee-shooting Archer

My Agile Septor Elite 727 measures the same thickness as my Kiesel Aries A7H with the THNN neck option. I think it's just the base Septor models (the stuff under $400) that's the thick necked stuff anymore. My Schecter Apocalyse neck feels thicker than my Agile Septor Elite does even. Also, the Agile seems more C-shaped instead of a D with shoulders so it's just a bit more comfortable actually.

Hollowway likes this.
  14. Hollowway

Oh, cool, I never thought to measure. One more similarity!

15. crossthestyx

lol Ok, maybe.. And I would say that because: the pearloid inlays really should be a bitchen stylized abalone inlay. ;)

Konfyouzd likes this.
  16. crossthestyx

You're gonna have "poor resale" when people don't know what the fu#k they're looking at. Say: Gibson however, and nimrods will swuck ur wiener to buy ur guitar. Even though most are not worth half their selling price.

777timesgod and LeviathanKiller like this.
  17. 777timesgod

777timesgod Stop reading this...I said stop!

Well, the Gibson used gear market is oversaturated. You will have competition from many other sellers. Some niche guitars fare better as the potential buyers do not have many options apart from buying it new.

18. will_shred

will_shred Wannabe audio engineer

A five page thread discussing the differences between a Kiesel and an Agile is the most SSO thing I've ever seen. All we need is someone telling OP to buy a used Ibanez prestige.

OP, just buy a used prestige.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2019
    MatiasTolkki, Wolfhorsky and TunedToB like this.
  19. chance0

chance0 SS.org Regular

A stellar Kiesel will be one of the best instruments you'll ever play. A stellar Agile will be serviceable if not a boatload of fun. So if the 1700 dollar Kiesel gives you the former, you'll never regret it. So enjoy the 10 day trial of the instrument.

My fully tricked-out Kiesel makes my Agile feel like a toy, where the latter has all sorts of in-correctable issues, however minor. My Kiesel finish, I think, was done by Jeff himself, and it brings out every detail of the flame top you'll never get from an Agile. And the fretboard action feels like every last ounce of evenness and smoothness was adjusted into it. It doesn't make sense to me that an instrument could be so well done, because it's a feeling I don't get from my other high-end guitars. But they can be hit or miss, especially some previous models from long ago where the QC wasn't at such a high standard.

20. Hollowway

According to Keisel, there is no difference in “fully tricked-out” guitar and a basic build. I think you’re probably reading into it based on the price, and subconsciously wanting it to be higher end. The whole marketing angle of kiesel is that their guitars are all good, American made quality, from barebones and up. The higher priced models are just wood, finish, etc options.

And, as an aside, do we have reason to want Jeff doing finish work? I know he says he will do it on the K series models, but I’m guessing he doesn’t do nearly as much finish work as the regular guys. I think I’d rather have the craftsman do the work, rather than the CEO. Or is Jeff actually the best at finishwork in the shop?