5 Websites All Bands/Musicians Should Use

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by eleven59, Mar 20, 2012.

1. eleven59

eleven59 None shall pass. Contributor

So, another opinion piece from me, and many of you will already know these things, but hopefully this will be useful for those just starting out, or shed some light on things that you didn't realize or know about before.

2. MFB

MFB Banned

Can't watch the video at the moment, but if I had to guess : Facebook, Twitter, Soundcloud, BandCamp and ...another one of those types of sites is eluding me right now. Curses.

3. ZeroS1gnol

ZeroS1gnol SS.org Regular

What about a good well thought about website of your own.
    Seriously, bands can attract visitors to a space where the band makes the rules and no other advertising companies make money out of them.
    Bands that use their fb as a homepage...not clever.

ps didnt watch the video, but will...laptop battery dead now....:ugh:

4. Don Vito

Don Vito SS.org Regular

1. Myspace
    2. Myspace
    3. Myspace
    4. Myspace
    5. Myspace

Get on my level.

5. eleven59

That covers 3 of them (I lumped Facebook/Twitter together), one of them is another obvious one, but the last one isn't actually an obvious social/band site.

An excellent point, but expensive to do right. A good website design is not easy to create or maintain. Absolutely, you'll need one eventually, but start with Facebook and use Soundcloud to host your music, since that's the first place anyone's going to look these days to check out your music or contact you. Then get on YouTube and start putting up content. Once you have an album or EP or even a single ready to go, get on Bandcamp. Last one is for when you have a fan base already, and you're ready to make a big jump. ;)

Not even close. Myspace is garbage, and I'm sure that's what your joke was meant to be.

6. Xaios

Xaios Foolish Mortal

Pretty much this. I made a web site for the band I was in in high school, and it was totally pointless. Granted, about the only music hosting sites I knew of to post our songs on was Purevolume (who I eventually became a forum moderator for, although they torpedoed the forums a couple years ago), but still, it was completely unnecessary. Granted, I was an eager high school student with a penchant for web design (something I still do on the side), so for me it was more about showing off my 1337 5|<!115 than anything else.

It's worth noting that Periphery is one of the more well known bands to come into being as an internet phenomenon, and yet they apparently don't feel the need for their own website at this point. Looks like they're still primarily based on Myspace and Facebook.

7. ZeroS1gnol

ZeroS1gnol SS.org Regular

Building a decent website isn't that difficult anymore, with tools like wordpress. It has enough plugins/widgets to direct all your social media stuff to your own controlled area.

I think you need to give your fans a space of their own. Facebook or myspace definately aren't that. By the way, Im not underestimating the power of FB, I actually think it's a great tool, perhaps one of the greatest.

As for Periphery, they don't need to prove themselves anymore...hence their need for a website is somewhat less of an issue. But still, if they did have a website, it would be a big service to the fans...right?

A quick sidenote, visit the Mars Volta website...they've updated it. And while this is big budget stuff, it's a good example of how a website adds value to your band.

8. Xaios

Xaios Foolish Mortal

Oh yes, it's much easier to do now. Back when I did it though, the only choices were things like Geocities and Homestead. Not exactly the greatest options, so I built mine from scratch. Heck, this was before Myspace and Facebook even existed.

Not necessarily. Think about it, Periphery became popular because of channels like Myspace, Facebook, and of course SS.org. Heck, Misha is a regular poster here. Their fans are not only already talking in those places, but they're bringing in new fans because of how visible they are on the social media circuit. Why would they pull out and isolate their fanbase within the confines of a dedicated website?

I'll have to check it out later, can't go there on this computer.

9. eleven59

This. Most people don't want to go to a new website, they just want to connect with new things on their existing social networking sites. Absolutely, a professional website helps a lot, and give your street team it's own dedicated home, but for regular fans, stay active on Facebook/Twitter/Youtube.