5-string Basses with narrow string spacings (that aren't Ibanez)

kumimajava

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Not sure if this has come up, but Steinberger 5's tend to be narrow (16.25mm), and should be available in your price range; similarly the Hohner B2V (i.e. the Hohner version of the Steinberger paddle-bass 5).

Perhaps rarer, but still sometimes available second hand: Yamaha BB-2000 5-string, the very first one they did, or a Yamaha BX-5. Both have, if I recall, 5-strings on a 4-string width neck, so if you're after a really tight spacing, these might suit (IIRC, around 15mm spacing on these). The later Yamaha BB5's have wider spacing (current ones have 18mm).

If 17/17.5mm is not too wide, that opens up all the Musicman/Sterling/OLP basses as a possibility as well.

HeHasTheJazzHands

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
same, too bright and rattly for me.

Yeah, real talk I hate the sound of MOST humbuckers in bass guitars. The main reason I was looking at basses with universal 40DC-style pickups is because some companies (EMG for example) make P and J pickups in the humbucker housing.

Demonlvlzero

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Ibanez is the obvious choice for narrow string spacing, but cort also makes models with narrow string spacing. Cort is the manufacturer of all of the Ibanez guitars/basses that are not MIJ. They make incredible basses for really cheap, cheaper than Ibanez. I think the B5 element is around $500

sonoftheoldnorth

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Ibanez is the obvious choice for narrow string spacing, but cort also makes models with narrow string spacing. Cort is the manufacturer of all of the Ibanez guitars/basses that are not MIJ. They make incredible basses for really cheap, cheaper than Ibanez. I think the B5 element is around $500
I've just got the B5 open pore black one, it's really really nice for the money. I think it has 18mm string spacing though. The neck is kinda chunky, but feels comfortable enough with the fretboard being like Ibanez flat.

TonyFlyingSquirrel

Cherokee Warrior
Reaction score
I have a Squier Affinity 5 string J Bass in Olympic White that I threw some cream EMG’s in and replaced the stock 1 7/8” nut with a Tusq XL in 1 3/4”, then sanded down the sides to make the neck fit the 1 3/4” width, then did a full setup which included re’dressing the fret ends, plays killer now.

HeHasTheJazzHands

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
So I never grabbed the bass. Mostly because I've been thinking about just buying a bass plugin after seeing how much a lot of them were going for. :lol: It was either getting the cheapest 5-string bass I can find for $200 + shipping, or a Submission Audio plugin for ~$100.

BurningRome

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Seems like the Jazz Bass is not what you want however they do have a great narrow neck and you can get a 5 string with active pickups that sound really good for a decent price.

If you're messing around only, try the Squier VI bass. 6 string and feels like it's practically a guitar neck. I've had one, it's def fun and very unique.

Koldunya

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
If you're messing around only, try the Squier VI bass. 6 string and feels like it's practically a guitar neck. I've had one, it's def fun and very unique.
I'll second this, my experience is with an Ibanez SRC6, 42mm to... 55mm nut to heel or so neck, Ibanez Tight End 6-string guitar bridge (10.8mm), but yeah. Very fun instruments, one of my favorites, though with the 30" scale you'll be hard pressed to lower the tuning much with available gauges (specialty strings not withstanding).

The Ibanez GVB36 is outside your price range, but it's 14mm at the bridge for 6-strings XD

ShredmasterD

Calls it like it is.
Reaction score
the old peavy dyna basses and foundation basses were really nice back in the day and they had narrow spacing. maybe a used example in fine condition could be found out there. these were not low end instruments and were popular about the time they were making the wolfgang guitars. also, the Guild Pilot bass was quite narrow if i recall dynabass.png

Last edited:

HeHasTheJazzHands

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
the old peavy dyna basses and foundation basses were really nice back in the day and they had narrow spacing. maybe a used example in fine condition could be found out there. these were not low end instruments and were popular about the time they were making the wolfgang guitars. also, the Guild Pilot bass was quite narrow if i recall View attachment 115414

Yeah the DynaBass and TL-Five would be perfect, but the prices on them seem to went up a loooot in recent years.

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Old Pilots may have had narrow spacing at the nut but later ones (or I suppose the DeArmond ones) were a little wider. They were definitely wide at the bridge, 19mm spacing.

Those were decent basses for the money. Active eq, okay-ish pickups and a 35" scale. Very decent beater basses if you find a good deal.