4x12 Cab Build

StupidDav

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
So a week has passed, and damn did it drag :noplease:
My uncle did some work on the thing during the week, covering and stuff, so no pictures of that.

DSCF0598.jpg

All covered up. My uncle put triangle corner pieces in so the corners fitted nice.

DSCF0597.jpg

Baffle covered as well.

DSCF0599.jpg

Finishing off the piping.

DSCF0600.jpg

Piping is more than or equal to done.

DSCF0602.jpg

Corner closeup.

DSCF0603.jpg

Speaker bolts drilled, countersunk and in.

DSCF0604.jpg

Please note the tasty piping work :yesway:

DSCF0606.jpg

And a closeup of it, with a corner fitted.

DSCF0607.jpg

Inside reinforcements.

DSCF0608.jpg

We got some more stuff done, but I didn't take photos, as niggly little things kept happening, like we hit screws screwing the corners in TWICE, so it slowed down and the camerawork kinda stopped with it. Anyway, I took the cab home more or less finished, speakers needed fitting and wiring, grills as well, and the back panel and corners needed fitting.

StupidDav

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I would first like to dedicate this post to my trusty torx screwdriver. I have never owned such a trusty kludge, and I think that you will all agree with me that it is rather an epic screwdriver, as screwdrivers go :cool: And here it is

DSCF0620.jpg

Most epic. :agreed: Almost overshadows the cab build itself. Almost.

DSCF0613.jpg

Speakers were screwed in with aforementioned trusty screwdriver, also bolted in from the back.

DSCF0618.jpg

Closeup of a Governor.

DSCF0619.jpg

And of a Legend.

DSCF0626.jpg

Speaker grills are in!

DSCF0622.jpg

DSCF0624.jpg

DSCF0627.jpg

Speakers pre-wiring.

DSCF0628.jpg

Speakers wired up.

DSCF0630.jpg

Closeup of the wiring.

DSCF0632.jpg

And wired to the jack.

And it is finished! Just need to screw the back in, but I need to buy screws so that will have to wait until tomorrow.

DSCF0633.jpg

DSCF0634.jpg

DSCF0636.jpg

Cab tolex looks a little lighter than the amp tolex, but that's just the flash. Should be able to get some loudish soundclips soon, but it won't sound its best as the speakers won't have broken in.

StupidDav

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Hahah nice dooooo eeeeettt! :scream:
And take us some nice pics :hbang:
Does take quite a long time though, its all the small things that take the most time really.

matttttYCE

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
This build is awesome! I LOVE the look of the separate speaker grills. Also, you made this build look so ridiculously easy, that I'm tempted to make my own now!

Congrats on an awesome new cab!

StupidDav

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Heh thanks guys, just tried it for the first time today and the thing is bruuuuuuutttaaaaalllll!! Tight as fuck!! Its got just enough treble, a nice upper mid spike which makes it get djenty as fuck if i play stuff like that, nice low mids which warm up the 6505 a bit and a nice bass rolloff which gives it a nice tight sound. As you crank the resonance up the sound just gets bigger and bigger and stays just as tight :bowdown: Awesome. As soon as I get my mic back i'll do some close mic of both speakers and some further away micing. Hopefully take it down the practice rooms and get some loud clips as well :hbang: Everyone should make their own cab, theres not too much difficult work involved, just take your time and be a perfectionist :agreed:

StupidDav

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Ask and you shall recieve! Just done a quick demo playing Icarus Lives.

Gear used is an Ibanez RG 7321 with a Dimarzio New 7, modded Boss SD-1, Boss NS-2 in the X pattern, 6505 and my custom cab (duh) :lol:

Settings are Red Channel, pre - 3, bass - 2, mids - 5.5, high - 6.5, res - 3.5, pres - 6.5

Was a relatively quiet clip, the post gain was at just over 0.5.

The Sd-1 has the level dimed, the drive on 0 and the tone is about 7 in numbers, or about 2:30.

Cab is a tad on the dark side which is why I'm kinda upping the treble in my eqs, I used to run the treble and presence at 6 or under and the sd-1 tone at about 12:30.

I personally find the cab to be awesome, maybe a little dark and maybe it could do with a lil bit more upper mids, but that might be cos its running quiet. For some reason it absolutely loves my 7321 with New 7, but only likes my 7620 with Nailbomb, so I may have to get another bare knuckle for my 7620 :scratch:

Anyway, hope you like it :hbang:

Opeth666

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
awesome stuff man and thats a beautiful cab, I have a couple of questions for you, ill PM you a little later on after I get home from work.

StupidDav

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Cheers guys, and cool I'll be glad to help, might have to answer the PM tomorrow though cos of the time difference, but I'll get back to you asap.

vansinn

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Nice work, looks very pro. Not sure how this may impact how the upper harmonics spreads for a guitar box like this, but the upper front corners, resulting from slanting the front top, would normally create unwanted reflections.
The same might be said about rear mounting the speakers.
But of course, I'm unable to be there and hear it ;)

Have you considered adding reinforcement logs side-side and top-bottom, like the front-rear you have in there?
Having these installed, all crossing/glued at the center, can reduce the box singing along, though such colorization may actually be a wanted feature.