45 Minute University Performance (recommendations needed)

ILuvPillows

Baby seal will destr
Reaction score
Hey Fellas
I have to start preparing for my final guitar performance in my University. During my first year I played the following;Steve Vai- Tender Surrender;Neil Zaza-I'm Aright; John Petrucci- Glasgow Kiss; John Butler- Ocean.
However, for this performance I need to step it up a little, so far i'm working on Kiko Loureiro's- Endangered Species which leaves about 40 more minutes needing to be filled. You're recommendations can be as broad as possible, jazz/classical/tapping etcetc, anything. Needs to be playable on a 6 string but apart from that I'm open to anything. Help me out, people.

skisgaar

Master-debatur
Reaction score
Something by Opeth. They always have really long songs, and all in E standard on a six.

drmosh

Sir Paul of the Mosh
Contributor
Reaction score
You need to step it up after playing those crazy songs already? I think you're probably good enough from a technical perspective!
Is there no chance of original material, something to show you're not just technique?

Osorio

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I would second Opeth but since the songs are pretty long with vocals, actually a lot of the guitar material is repeated quite a bit. A song like Deliverance, which is 13 minutes on record, doesn't have 4 minutes of unique material in all... This may sound like a coup-out for the examining board, if there happens to be one.
Also one more vote for the original piece, can you turn in some lead sheet and say "I'll play that"? Some space for improvisation would also be really great if you are cool at that. Showcase your musician side.

Lagtastic

Five Align
Reaction score
for this performance I need to step it up a little

You're recommendations can be as broad as possible, jazz/classical/tapping etcetc, anything.

Needs to be playable on a 6 string but apart from that I'm open to anything.

Here's some standard tuning fun/tough stuff:

Satch - Midnight, Friends, Crushing Day
Vai - Both sections of the Duel from Crossroads
Becker - Anything off Perpetual Burn
One of the more uncommon Caprices from Paganini's 24 like #1 or #16

The_Mop

Want to make $60?
Reaction score
Something by Opeth. They always have really long songs, and all in E standard on a six.

E? I thought they largely tuned to DADFAE....

If you really wanna mess people up play some Guthrie Govan.

DarkWolfXV

Excised n anatomised
Reaction score
Necrophagist - Fermented Offal Discharge, or Advanced Corpse Tumor.

troyguitar

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Learn the violin part, then get one of the piano kids to play something like these with you:

Would be infinitely more impressive than most shred tunes IMO.

troyguitar

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Tchaikovsky's violin concerto is pretty fucking badass too if you could pull together an orchestra. I'd consider that more or less the coolest guitar recital ever.

:tmm:

Bloodbath Salt

Title-less
Reaction score

I wouldn't choose an entire Opeth song. Some of your audience will get bored.

"Everything" before Ghost Reveries is E Standard.

E? I thought they largely tuned to DADFAE....

The songs "Demon of the Fall" and "Blackwater Park" are in drop D. Most of the album Ghost Reveries is in either open Dm (DADFAD) or open Dm add9 (DADFAE). Other than that their all in E standard.

Necrophagist - Fermented Offal Discharge, or Advanced Corpse Tumor.

This would be awesome, especially the solo from Fermented Offal Discharge. It's one of the best sounding solos I can think of.

What tuning are you going to have to use?

hmmm_de_hum

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
It depends what you want the underlying theme of your recital to be (if that is in the criteria...?), in my final performance there had to be a continual theme throughout the set, of which had to include creative elements as well as technical proficency.

Why not create a medley of a couple of technical songs you enjoy, have an improvised section over some complex changes, rearrange another piece to that of a guitar led format...either that or do some Zappa :yesway: