30 Watt Friedman BE

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by bwh0005, Apr 24, 2021.

1. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands SS.org Regular

Okay I'm sold. :lol:

MatrixClaw, wakjob, Millul and 6 others like this.
  2. Kyle Jordan

Kyle Jordan Ace of Knaves

It does have my interest.

technomancer and Millul like this.
  3. laxu

laxu SS.org Regular

It seems to sound pretty good but the lack of a dedicated clean channel might drive some away. It does not seem to do particularly well for lower gain tones or cleans with your guitar volume turned down. Even the gain starts from "pretty gainy" so this is probably literally the BE overdrive pedal paired with an ICEPower or similar Class D poweramp module.

BlasphemyMadeFlesh likes this.
  4. guitar_player4_2_0

guitar_player4_2_0 SS.org Regular

I ordered one, the tone king had a link in his YouTube vid. I’ve been looking at the pedal but this looks like a fun little head. Does seem a little pricey for what it is but it sounds awesome in the demos so I’m hopeful.

5. Ribboz

Ribboz Enjoy

Is this a joke? This is the exact opposite of what I imagined for a BE 30.

My imaginary version had two EL34 and was aimed at higher end price range for lower watt amps, around 3k. This way it doesn't compete with his other lower watt amps. And it keeps the BE line of amps as the flag ships of his brand.

Elric likes this.
  6. runbirdman

runbirdman Lackawanna County Volunteer Sheriff's Deputy Contributor

Picturing myself as a 13-year-old, this makes perfect sense. If Dave releases an entry-level 1x8 or 1x10 cabinet alongside the head, this could be a great brand recognition tool that doesn't water down the "prestige" of the flagship amplifiers. I'm all for brands diversifying their product lines to provide for less financially fortunate people. Fender's entire business model has been based around the concept. Squier - Be 30, Mexican line - Runt, American line - Twin Sister, Custom Shop - Flagship. Much like Fender putting Squier on the headstock, Dave has even insured the lowest line can't be confused with his higher-end amplifiers by significantly changing the form factor.

Consumers purchasing this weren't trying to find a viable alternative to an SLO-30 when they buy this. This will be a competitive alternative to Marshall DSL/Origin, Orange Micro, Vox MV, Bugera/Hotone/Joyo, and the Katana-esque digital tier.

7. Ribboz

Ribboz Enjoy

Yeah, I guess what I was thinking will now be the BE 30 DLX.

StevenC likes this.
  8. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands SS.org Regular

Idk I see this thing fucking selling like hotcakes. People who can afford the brand get a more affordable amp and finally get a taste of that boutique brand they've all wanted to try. People who can afford the brand have something they can crank at lower volumes while stil retaining the tone.

Spaced Out Ace likes this.
  9. MASS DEFECT

MASS DEFECT SS.ORG Infiltrator

I zoomed in on the photos at Sweetwater and I can't find the country where it's made. Not that it matters at this pricepoint. Just curious to see where Friedman is headed.

It just says Friedman L.A. and that's it. Wasn't quite sure if it's made here.

10. Demiurge

Demiurge Intrepid Jackass

Yeah, I have the Jackman XL. The clean channel dirties-up pretty nice, but the drive channel- which arguably is what you're showing-up for- is woofy as hell. I haven't had the time to swap out the tube or experiment with my harem of boosts to brighten it, but I doubt it's going to sound as nice as this BE head from the demos I've heard so far.

The Monster With . likes this.
  11. c7spheres

c7spheres GuitArtist

This is pretty cool because it's an all in one head and sounds great, but if I were recommending someone into a solid-state rig in this price range and they were ok with used gear, I'd prefer to go with an old school Peavey Bandit with a BE pedal etc. Way more versatile for the money.

- Honestly it reminds me of the Marshall MS-2 and ms-4 belt clip stacks. A beefed up version.

- But yeah, these are gonna sell like hotcakes. Freidman seems to really be intuitive about what people want. I'd love to have a JJ Deluxe or HBE head someday.

12. Ribboz

Ribboz Enjoy

To be honest, I thought this was a fake knock off at first. But a 112/110 or maybe 8 inch speaker combo amp, would be a pretty sweet practice or mobile amp. I had a small Vox amp when I was in school. This would have been a really cool amp then.

13. technomancer

technomancer Gearus Pimptasticus Super Moderator

I guess it's cheaper than buying a BEOD and a Powerstage if you want to go this route :shrug: :lol:

Jeff, vilk, StevenC and 4 others like this.
  14. Millul

Millul SS.org Regular

Well...well...oh well, I guess I'll have to :coffee:

15. mongey

mongey SS.org Regular

this is probably pretty smart move. I have the pedal am I fan of it. with an eq after it , it can cover a tonne of ground

this thing totally just sounds like the pedal in a box

ATRguitar91 likes this.
  16. 0rimus

0rimus SS.org Regular

I really love the form factor and price. As much as I love my Synergy rig if more amp companies were making tiny SS heads like these...

Always liked the tiny SS head idea but it's like they couldn't agree on a consistent size/shape company to company. I.E. Peavey Piranha is nothing like an Orange Micro Dark and both are dissimilar to the Hotone stuff which is still different to the Joyo stuff etc. Etc.

This is probably the form I like the most; literally just an amp head, but tiny.

Unfortunately from having owned a BE OD deluxe pedal and trying a bunch of Friedman amp models, pretty much figured out they're not my cup of tea despite being a big fan of alot of bands that use them.

17. wakjob

wakjob SS.org Regular

Unfortunately it's Class D :noplease:

Still sounds great imo... the FX Send in Michael's video seemed to work just fine into a DAW/IR ect...

Kyle Jordan likes this.
  18. The Monster With .

The Monster With . SS.org Regular

That's a good point, before covid and all the used stuff sold out you could find Peavey xxl's for $199.

However, during lockdown I got an 150w Ibanez tbx150 amp that sounded great and then promptly died. So there is value in having a new item.

Spaced Out Ace, wakjob and c7spheres like this.
  19. mongey

mongey SS.org Regular

The one thing I think is a miss , even if not foot switchable , a switch on the front for a clean channel would've been great. and very little work . basically just the super clean pre circuit into the EQ section ,then into the power map would've been fine

yeah class D it will still clip at level, but would've been good for practice use

20. soap_opera_phantom

soap_opera_phantom bronze sound and pointy guitars

mine is coming on Tuesday. new to Friedman, but not new to quality analog SS amps. super hyped!