30” 8-string recommendations?

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by chuggiewuggies, Apr 2, 2021.

1. chuggiewuggies

chuggiewuggies SS.org Regular

I’m looking to get an 8 that will be able to handle as low as C#1, and it seems like the best scale length would be 30” for decent intonation. However I’ve noticed it’s pretty much only 6 string baritones that are easily available in 30”, which are tempting since I’d like to learn songs by Loathe, but I would also like to have the versatility of the extra strings to learn songs by Chelsea Grin, Deftones, Sleep Token etc. too.

I would really appreciate some guitar recommendations! Ideally price-wise I’m looking for anything around or under £600 but could save up more if it’s worth it. I’m not looking for any super cheap options since I’ve had my fair share of low-end guitars and always wished I’d saved more.

One I’ve found so far is the Agile Intrepid Pro Dual 830 but it’s not available anywhere other than one I’ve seen on Reverb for £380, and being in the UK makes my chances of getting one very slim. Does anyone have experience with this guitar or other Agile 8 strings?

side note: I’m 5’8, is it gonna be pretty impossible for me to play one? I’m prepared to make the sacrifice of some playability for some decent intonation and tone which I’ve been searching for forever, but if it’s pointless me getting one let me know lol

2. Valdra

Valdra SS.org Regular

My favorite guitar that I own is an Agile Intrepid 828. Stock Agile Cepheus pickups. Usually Agiles have a pretty good rep and are pretty good quality in my experience.

As far as the neck length to height thing goes I would ask have you ever played a bass guitar? If you have done so, and successfully, you would probably be alright. Basses are typically 34" or 35" scale.

The only other alternative that is somewhat budget that I can think of is the Ibanez M80M 8 string which I believe is 29.4". I picked mine up for $750 USD used which translates to about your price range but that was also a pretty solid price and I don't know the availability in your location.

3. Bearitone

Bearitone SS.org Regular

I was also going to say the Agile 830 and to this day my Agile 828 was the best guitar I’ve owned.

I say wait and keep an eye out.

And bro you’ll be fine.
    5’8” doesn’t matter. I promise you will adjust.

4. chuggiewuggies

Cool, thanks guys. It's only because I've seen some people on other forums saying it's really difficult lol. I do have a 34" scale 5-string bass and I can play it but do ache more playing the lower frets than usual - that's something I'm happy to do for a good sound though.

Definitely seems like an Agile 830 is the way to go! Do you know if there is much difference between the models other than the pickups?

5. Bearitone

Bearitone SS.org Regular

Not that I know of. Mine was an 828 intrepid with SD blackouts. I swapped out Lundgren M8’s and it was bliss.

6. chuggiewuggies

Sounds super tight! Was it difficult to change from active to the passive Lundgren pickups?

7. Bearitone

Bearitone SS.org Regular

Not at all, super easy. Just change the pots along with the pickups and you're good to go.
    And the good news is the passive Cephus pickups that come stock in the Agile 830 are suppose to damn close to a Lundgren M8 so I doubt you'll even want to swap the pickups.

8. chuggiewuggies

Ah I see, I thought it’d be more complicated. Hopefully I can come across one with the Cephus pickups in that case!

Bearitone likes this.
  9. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

There will be more agile guitars in about May, when the new batch lands. So check the website periodically.

10. Grindspine

Grindspine likes pointy things

It is shorter at 29.4", but the Ibanez M80m is a pretty well known 8 for close to the 30" mark.

11. chuggiewuggies

Do you know if they still make the 830 Intrepids? The only style I see on the website right now are Geodesic headless and a couple others so I thought I’d have to buy used

12. Marv Attaxx

Marv Attaxx SS.org Regular

If you can live with 29inches: Woodo GS3 8 string.
    https://www.woodoguitars.se/products/Woodo GS3 Black Alder 8-Str/Product.html
    In specs they're very close to the M80M/M8M but way cheaper.
    The standard version is about 6950 swedish crowns, which translates to roughly 570 pounds. They guitars ship from Sweden (with a setup there) which are made in South Korea. Don't know how much the import to the UK would be, but they seem to be very nice guitars and dealing with an european company is way easier than with Agile (lovely guitars, but the return policiy makes it a no-go for me as an European).

13. InfinityCollision

InfinityCollision SS.org Regular

Pretty sure they do, but when they'll have inventory of any particular model is up in the air due to COVID. Even most of the 8s up for sale right now are preorders for 2-3 months from now.

14. chuggiewuggies

Thanks for the suggestion! The guitar looks cool but I’d be a bit worried buying from a make like that since I can’t find any reviews of the guitar or manufacturer, they seem to be very small and unheard of

15. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

Kurt (the owner) sent out an email last month saying the new batch will hit in May. So I would expect there to be some of those 830 intrepids (or maybe scepters) but I’m not 100% sure.

edit: actually, you should email him. He knows what’s coming in, so ask him directly.

Wildebeest and 0rimus like this.
  16. Gtan7

Gtan7 SS.org Regular

Agile/rondo is selling other (headless) 8 strings now for June (expected) delivery, you could ask them about models you don't see on website.

17. Bearitone

Bearitone SS.org Regular

Fuck, a headless 830 would be awesome. @chuggiewuggies you should ask Kurt if he has any plans to release some

Last edited: Apr 5, 2021