3 rigs i'm considering help me decide

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Albionic, Feb 19, 2011.

1. Albionic

Albionic First of the magi

Hi ss i've had the same gigging rig for a very long time and i feel that this year might be time for a change i have 3 rigs in my head that will probably do what i want but i just cant decide what would be best.:scratch:
    so i bow to you guy's greater knowledge on such things.:bowdown:

1. Bugera 6262 with a ts,noise gate, my wah and my tuner pedal on the front(not necessarily in that order) with my rack effects processor in the switchable loop set for delay and mid + treble + volume boost for leads

2. digitech gsp1101 into a rocktron velocity 300 and a midi controller i'd probably still use my wah and tuner into the front end of this

3.peavey vypyr 120 head. Recently remembered these i love the concept of the amp but i'm a little worried by the reliability issues. (i've actually spotted a used one in a pawn shop for £300 but theres no way i'd risk one without a warranty)

sooo there you have it i think you can see th budget i'm working to if you look at the rigs. if anyone can suggest an alternative that'd be cool too.

thanks

2. Josh_Conlee

Josh_Conlee GRVMND 2014

I'd go with the 6262 rig, but that's just me. Bugera has had reliability issues, however, those issues were quickly resolved and are now nonexistant. The tone is close to the 6505+, so if that's what your going for, jump on it.

3. greeny23

greeny23 Active Member

i'd take the first setup for sure.

4. Albionic

i must admit i do like the 6505+ sound although i am a big fan of midi switching. i play in a melodic female fronted metal band with 2 guitarists and keys so i don't want to drown everyone in a sea of mush but also we tune to d on six strings mostly so i do need a good healthy bottom end(shoulda said all this before i know)

5. xMaNgOxKusHx

xMaNgOxKusHx SS.org Regular

Go with the bugera, you won't regret it!

6. Stealthdjentstic

Stealthdjentstic Banned

Not too huge a fan of the rocktron velocity, if you could replace that with a mesa 50/50 then that rig for sure :)

7. Albionic

an option i've considered but the mesa power amp would be £400 used which makes the cost of that rig £800. but i could replace my current power amp with the mesa and use my current preamp till i could afford the gsp1101. but it might be a while.

but to be honest its more than i want to spend. it's really just our hobby as we are all over 30 and any dreams of a career in the music biz is long gone
    (my missus suggested we call the band mid life crisis:lol:)

still i've always fancied a 50/50 so i'm not counting it out completely

8. Scar Symmetry

Scar Symmetry Ex Whiny Bitch

9. ryan9896

ryan9896 Rip it!!!!!!!!!!

I have played a few bugeras and read up on them, but never owned one. They are nice amps, for sure.

I will say that I do own a GSP1101 w/ the control 2 foot controller, and it is amazing!!! I have owned a Mesa dual rectifier, Randall rm100, Marshall JCM900. I can get all those tones, plus more with the GSP. And the amp models are pretty damn good replicas of the real things. Also, if u go this route, u can ditch the tube screamer pedal cuz you'll have about 25 overdrive pedals you can choose from in the GSP, including a tube screamer, 808, and even a ts9 modded!!! The rocktron velocity would work, and maybe down the line u can up grade your power amp to a Mesa or marshall, something solid. And if you get the control 2 foot controller, u can assign midi program changes and CC's to be sent on any preset. I currently use a Randall V2 head with the GSP1101 and it is amazing. I can change channels on the v2 with the control 2 and I have so many different amps to work with and obviously all the other great effects the GSP has to offer. Check my profile and click on the photo album to check out my rig:)

10. ryan9896

You could also ditch the tuner pedal and the gate as well because the gsp1101 has both:). There have been some negative feedback going around concerning the gate in the GSP, but if you upgrade the software version on mustbebeta.com, it corrects the issue. The gate on my GDP is always on. I use the Decimator prorack as a safety gate to help out with feedback and to tame the Randall a little bit. The gate in the GSP works well with the internal preamps on the unit itself, but struggles with external preamps if you use one. In your case, running it straight into the velocity 300, you would not be using any external preamps, so u would be fine. So, u can sell the screamer, the tuner pedal, and noise gate and maybe put that money towards a better power amp? And honestly, I think u would be happy with the velocity, it gets the job done:)

11. Pedrojoca

Pedrojoca Gear Whore

Your doubts are 100% understandable, because you still haven't seen this....

NO PEDALS, RAW AMP SOUND

12. Stealthdjentstic

Stealthdjentstic Banned

That guy uses post EQ and compression for his video's, I've asked him before.

13. Prydogga

Prydogga Giddyup.

Bugera.

14. Albionic

i think the gsp is a nice unit i already have a midi controller with no expression inputs though
    i like a pedal tuner because then i don't have to turn my back on the audience.
    i'd probably go for a fcb 1010 to control it eventually. the price of the contrlo2 seems a bit steep to me. its more than half the price of the unit.

thanks for the input guys i think i'd be happy with either the bugera or the gsp1101 but i think the bugera is edging it.

i know you can buy boxes that allow you to swich channels on amps using midi anyone know if this is possible with the bugera?

15. Lucas_061287

Lucas_061287 SS.org Regular

Another +1 for the Bugera. I love my 333XL.

16. ryan9896

The tuner on the GSP displays on the control 2, so u wouldn't be turning your back to the audience. It would be just like looking down at your current tuner pedal.

I got both the GSP and the control 2 on eBay for $440 (USD). And as I mentioned, the control 2 can be setup to operate as a midi controller, in addition to controlling the GSP unit. You could get rid of all the different pedals you have now and just have all those controls setup in one floor unit.

I can understand your reasons for wanting the bugera, but I don't understand the reasons u state for not wanting the GSP? It sounds like u already have your mind made up on the bugera and not open to the other options u have listed. Or it's like your trying to talk itself out of the GSP/Velocity option.

I think you would cover a more diverse range of tones with the GSP as compared to the bugera. When I bought my V2 I thought I was all set as far as tone, but the GSP took my rig to a higher level for sure. Besides, they will probably design a Bugera amp model for the GSP soon with the software updates.

17. great_kthulu

great_kthulu SS.org Regular

I would go with a 6262, great amp!

18. op1e

op1e Spirit Taker

1101. Add a tube head later if you want and integrate it. SO nice to roll your cab and rack on stage with the speaker jacks already plugged in, plug your rack power into the wall, run RJ45 cable to the front of the stage and plug in to Control2 and go. No pedals, no effects loops, nothing in your chain to go wrong.

19. Albionic

my mind changes from day to day ideally i'd have both :lol:

currently i use just 3 sounds clean rhythm n lead but the beauty of the gsp is that i won't have to consider the limits of the switchability of my rig when writing songs. if i did get the gsp the control 2 would be nice but like i said it is expensive. i don't seem to be able to find a used gsp in the uk which in itself is a bit of an endorsment no ones selling them. i wasn't really giving resons not to get one in fact its a plus cos if i can't afford the control2 i still have a midi board wah and tuner i can use with it.

both rigs i'm sure will make me happy

hence the dilema:scratch:

20. Philligan

Philligan The White-Knuckler Contributor

The Bugera's a really safe bet, because they sound great, but I'm gonna go out on a limb and say GSP1101. I've heard it sound amazing, and you can record a lot easier. Plus, if you ever get bored, you've got buttloads of amps to try out :yesway:

Not to mention, a pre/power/cab setup will get you one step away from an Axe-Fx rig :cool: