2nd Noise Gate Set Up?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Sean Richardson, Aug 20, 2013.

1. Sean Richardson

Sean Richardson Onedge Custom

Presently I have a Boss NS2 running in a X configuration with my Dark Terror and am happy with the results. I run a TS808 modified SD-3 as a boost and a VFE White Horse optical compressor.
    Signal chain is Guitar>>>Compressor>>>SD-3>>>NS-2(in)>>>
    NS-2(send)>>>AMP(in)>>>Amp(FX-send)>>>NS-2(return)>>>
    NS-2(out)>>>Delay>>>Reverb>>>Amp(FX-return)…joy
    The NS-2 Threshold is at roughly 3o’clock and the Decay is set to minimum. Both modes of the pedal produce a similar result in terms of noise suppression.
    It works and works well but is not quite “FAST” enough at gating the signal so I want to add a second noise pedal for palm mutes (too old for Djent, I palm mute at the bridge!).
    :idea::idea::idea:
    I know the options are an MXR Smart Gate, an ISP Decimator 2 or a second NS-2. The MXR or the ISP would be BEFORE the compressor or the second NS-2 would be before the compressor but have both the comp and the OD in the NS-2 loop:
    Signal chain is Guitar>>>1st NS-2(in)>>> NS-2(send)>>>
    Compressor>>>SD-3>>>1st NS-2(return)>>>
    2nd NS-2(in)>>>2nd NS-2(send)>>>
    AMP(in)>>>Amp(FX-send)>>>NS-2(return)>>>
    NS-2(out)>>>Delay>>>Reverb>>>Amp(FX-return)… more joy
    Has anyone done this and have results?
    REMEMBER – the idea of the idea of the additional gate is to gate not to supress. Please dont just tell me to use a Decimator G string because your mate knew somebody who once said they were the best... I am after the opinions of those that have run multiple gates in the method described or similar. Thanks in advance!

2. noUser01

noUser01 Still can't play.

That post really hurts my eyes.

See the "Guide to Djent Tone" in my signature, should help you out.

3. Sean Richardson

Mate...remembering the signal chain hurts my brain... your guide is excellent and to be commended.

I know the 2nd gate will help, I just want to know WHICH gate (to be the gate as distinct from the supressor) is the BEST option...

4. Nicki

Nicki SS.org Regular

I can tell you from experience that the decimator is the way to go. I'm not running multiple gates for the simple fact that I don't need more than one, but my personal opinion is to replace both NS-2s with decimators for the simple fact that NS-2s colour your sound and the decimators don't. The response time on them is instantaneous and I'm sure they would make you a happy camper. From looking at your chain you probably won't need to spend the extra cash on the D2s and just stick with the original decimators which you can pick up for around $100 on ebay. I would recommend the Decimator G string for the added option of gating your clean channel, though I have no idea if you're planning on using a clean channel.

5. Sean Richardson

oh BTW... reason I am asking as opposed to just buying and mucking round, is because of the prices here in Australia (and the general reluctance of our retail outlets to offer exchange services)

Equivilent Australian prices in USD:

ISP G String Decimator = $380.00
    ISP Decimator = $255.00
    MXR Smart Gate = $260.00
    Boss NS-2 = $145.00

and yes... I can buy on line but the freight is also big $$$. A single pedal from Sweetwater for example is about $55USD just in freight.:wallbash:

6. noUser01

noUser01 Still can't play.

If cash is an issue, why not buy used? Just wait for a noise gate to come up on eBay or Craigslist or whatever you have access to. Whatever one comes up, just grab it. You already know which ones are the best, so just wait and see!

7. Given To Fly

Given To Fly SS.org Regular

You could order a Decimator from Sweetwater, pay the $55 shipping and it would be $190. I know you are in Australia but $380 for a ISP G String Decimator is insane. :eek:

8. MStack

MStack The Final Sleep

Try maxing out the threshold.

9. mongey

mongey SS.org Regular

Matt from Pedal Empire was selling the standard ISP for $219 a little while ago

he is in adelaide , great guy to deal with . I'd say would do a exchange if you didnt like it .

I've bought a few pedals from him and cant say a bad word about his service

10. Sean Richardson

cheers... I do like to try to support local as much as possible but in this case have pulled the trigger on the Decimator II with the international freight (if someone had one in Melbourne for a $200 or so, I would have purchased but alas no)

tried dimeing the threshold but once i go past 9 o'clock the NS2 starts to really choke the attack and sustain.

dicked around with the NS-2 in every possible way but the way I have it is the best. With no compressor its excellent and I would highly recommend providing you have a serial FX loop. With the comp though, its just on the edge and needs a hand.

lets see how the decimator II goes (and I can always add a second and link them... really like that idea)

11. Samer

Samer Dybbuk

I own both the decimator and the NS2 (actually own a few of each of them). In my engl Invader rig I run the Decimator first then to the boost pedal and then to the NS2 (running in 4 cable method to cover FX loops and main signal path).

They work well together, but I find that the Decimator colors tone more than the NS2

12. Sean Richardson

A bump for what its worth... turns out ordering the Decimator 2 was not as easy as the "big" outlets wouldnt export ISP product from the US. But thanks to PedalsPlus, one now resides on the pedal board.

what was interesting was the dicking around to get the sound right. At first I chucked it in front of everything but it didnt cut it...too much choking and a really odd "sound" when the amp was cranked, almost like a scooped metal fiz tone. I could adjust the OD and COMP pedals/amp tone to correct, but then when I turned volume down the sound thinned out terribly. So... after scratching my head, cursing X patterns, loops, gates, etc and finally sucking it up, I went on a journy with about 15 different combinations, about 10 feet of cut n shut bullet cable, and a bucket load of A.B testing before settling on:

Guitar >>> NS-2 (in) >>> NS-2 (send) >>> COMP >>> OD >>> NS-2 (return) >>> NS-2 (out) >>> AMP >>> FX Loop (send) >>> DECIMATOR 2 >>> Delay >>> Reverb >>> FX Loop (return)

It sound good (at all levals, gates and supressors as it should and has made me generally happy). The POINT... you need to experiment. The variety of sound from the same equipment in a different order is actually kinda freaky and makes me wonder how people that use high end modelling gear actualy stop tweaking sounds and start playing.

At any rate, am considering swaping out positions of the OD and the COMP just to see what happens...