2mm difference in neck thickness - a lot?

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by Magnus Langslet, Sep 28, 2020.

1. kuma

kuma SS.org Regular

Neck preference is definitely an individual thing, personally I like the Jem profile but not the Wizard, but then my favorite Ibanez profile is the older 19.5mm JCustom. The other thing to keep in mind is if the Ibanez you're looking at is a newer one, the heel width is also 2mm wider (58mm vs 56mm on your Jem). Not necessarily bad, just different.

Always worth giving it a try. People like all kinds of different things - skinny necks, fat necks, tiny frets, asymmetrical backs. Hard to say until you've tried it. I've had more than a couple guitars that I'd swear I wouldn't like based on the spec sheet, but are some of my favorites once I played them.

2. bracky

bracky Contributor

Actually you seem to be the ignorant one. I completely understand his analogy. Adding 2mm to a 1mm pick increases thickness 300%. Adding 2mm to a 20mm neck increases thickness 10%. Not comparable.

mbardu and xzacx like this.
  3. Rosal76

Rosal76 SS.org Regular

I have a RG655 Prestige that has the Super Wizard HP Prestige neck (17mm/19mm) and I've played my friends Ibanez RG470 which has a 19mm/21mm neck. To say whether it's a big/small step in thinness/thickness is subjective because everyone has their own opinion but I can say with complete confidence is that you can feel the difference. If you closed your eyes and picked up a RG655 (Super Wizard HP Prestige neck) and another Ibanez guitar with a neck thicker than a Super Wizard neck, you will definitely feel the difference. You will not mistake one with the other. Whether the Super Wizard neck will be more comfortable for you and make you a better player is obviously subjective.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2020
  4. Robotechnology

Robotechnology SS.org Regular

You can absolutely feel the difference of 2 mm in neck thickness. My favorite neck profile on an Ibanez is the Ultra (19mm-21mm). The vast majority of Ibanez RG necks are Wizard (17mm-19mm). I wish every non AZ Ibanez guitar I have had the Ultra profile however, they aren’t different enough for me to dislike Wizards.

AkiraSpectrum, Jeff and Matt08642 like this.
  5. AkiraSpectrum

AkiraSpectrum SS.org Regular

When it comes to a guitar 2mm makes a big difference for most anything on the instrument.

When it comes to the neck you will be able to feel the 2mm difference for sure. Will it matter to you? Maybe, maybe not. You won't know until you try it.

Some people, like myself, are fine with thin or thick necks.

6. yan12

yan12 SS.org Regular

I greatly prefer larger necks these days due to issues with my hands. That said, I like having guitars with different sized necks so it forces me to play differently on different guitars. I use different feeling guitars as inspiration. I agree you can certainly feel 2mm difference, especially if the nut width is different and the shape of the back of the neck. Going from a C to a D and adding 2mm will feel huge.

AkiraSpectrum likes this.
  7. JustinRhoads1980

JustinRhoads1980 Jackson Elitist

So between my Schecters, both my SLS Elite and my Abbath V are advertised as having the Ultra Thin C neck profile, but once I got my Abbath, I noticed that it was thicker and sure enough after measuring at the first it was 20mm instead of 19 as advertised. For me it is a pretty big difference as when I immediately got the guitar I noticed that right away.

Now not saying that it is a diss on the guitar in anyway. It is still easily playable and all that, but for me going from the Abbath to the SLS elite is a noticeable difference (not just in form factor), but the fact that the SLS elite is just such a smooth and speedy neck.