28' Scale Baritone?

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by Tortellini, Mar 27, 2017.

1. angl2k

angl2k SS.org Regular

Can you guys comment on the Warmoth neck quality? Been looking at those necks for a while but it's a bit costly for me to import so if you can put out a mini review that would be much appreciated!

2. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire only the dead have seen the end of GAS

warmoth makes high quality stuff. I'd highly recommend them. When I got my neck it showed up really well packaged, took it out, was surprised by the level of figuring in my flame maple neck/fingerboard, the neck was already sanded to finish quality, fret ends were a tiny bit rough due to traveling cross country and some shrinkage in the fretboard, but nothing serious.

3. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

Warmoth necks are super high quality.

only 2 things...

They don't really make a super shredder neck...so if you want an ibanez profile you are out of luck

their baritone conversion necks have the truss rod adjustment on the side for some reason. so plan ahead when building or you will have to take the entire neck off to adjust the truss rod.

I love my baritone. I would gladly build another...but since I don't have any finishing skills they come out to actually be more expensive then a used baritone from a custom shop. That being said there aren't that many 28.625 options available on the market.

[​IMG]

4. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

another option is to buy some cheap second hand Squire or strat copy.

I just came back from a quick look at my local pawn shop, they have some weird 40$ strat copy in pretty cool state (clean and no marks/dirt,scratch or anything). Or they have a Squire pretty cheap (I might get it since the color is perfect) in same clean condition for 120$.

trow away the electronics if you dont like them. Heaps of pre-made pickguards and pre-wired stuff. Get an HH one (or anything), and get the new conversion neck. Since the neck would be the most important part for playability, who cares how cheap was the body, especially since you are changing the pickups too.

so a quick check tells me a wenge neck/fretboard with SS frets and basic inlays would be around 350$.

if I get the Squire strat would be 470$ (plus any pickup upgrade and new pickguard)

that if you stay with the basic color they come with. IF you want fancy wood tops and the such then yeah, you need a custom body (plus all the hardware/electronics,ect) it can get expensive

5. DeathChord

DeathChord FTW

Running my RGIB6 in B standard without an issue at all, this scale length at 28" nails it!

soldierkahn likes this.
  6. cip 123

cip 123 Vendor

They offer Wizard neck shapes.

7. KnightroExpress

KnightroExpress Guitar Nerd Vendor

True for their standard necks, not for the baritone conversions.

8. xwmucradiox

xwmucradiox sweep.tap.sweep

The standard thin neck is pretty thin. Similar to ESPs offerings.

9. diagrammatiks

Neither of the two options they have on the builder are comparable to a wizard. It's thin but not that thin.

I dunno if they would do a custom for a thinner neck. Never asked.

Still comfortable though. Warmoth makes good necks.

10. squids

squids .

man you guys love to hate the iron labels haha.
    just try it out before you buy it if you can.
    i still have mine, probably will never sell it, been thinking about getting another one honestly.
    the neck is not ibanez thin but its comfy. like a good telecaster.
    i use a light top/heavy bottom set (i think 10-52) and its perfect. you may want something a little heavier for drop A (mine is in drop B). i actually love the emgs, the killswitch is stupid so you could move the volume knob down a slot. bridge is comfy too. if you have to order one online, be prepared to get it set up for sure. it comes with like a 68-14 set tuned to B standard, which i could tune down to F# standard no problem, so setting it up is a must.

the warmoths are sick (i love that yellow one) but honestly it always comes out like 3x the price of a RGIB6. i got mine 500$, never looked back. join the club dude.

11. diagrammatiks

I paid six hundred for my warmoth actually.
    but the rgib is pretty good. i'd get a prs se 277 though cuz mojo

12. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

600$ for what exactly?. I just checked a conversion baritone neck in wenge(because I like it bit fancy) for a strat with SS frets its 370$. A basic strat body with Alder body, HH routes, in a solid color with a black pickguard is 500$, and still need to buy all the pickups/hardware/electronics.

thats why he was saying:

13. diagrammatiks

I dunno. At one point on reverb there were like 5 baritone conversions for like 600 bucks each and I just grabbed the tele.

Body is swamp ash from some guy in Canada. Came with a vintage tray tele bridge. lollar single coil and dizmarzio p90.

neck is ss frets maple with rosewood fretboard. nothing fancy.

gear page has used necks all the time.

I was being a little flippant comparing a used guitar to a new guitar and it would seem that getting an rgib used would be a better option...but when reverb only has one rgib listed...i dunno where you would get one used.

but check out...the neck is like 370 right?
    Grab one of these bodies https://reverb.com/item/4745681-war...dimarzio-pickups-fits-usa-fender-wd-all-parts

or this body.

https://reverb.com/item/4722077-warmoth-telecaster-fender-american-select-pickups-brand-new

that's delicious.

870 your good to go.

It's a bit more work but the way the market is right now it definitely will not take you 3 times more then an rgib unless you are set on getting the exact woods and options you want but at that point you aren't getting it from the rgib either.

14. Vrollin

Vrollin SS.org Regular

Have a MMM1 28" in drop b usinf thin core 10-52 string set. I just works so well, has a particular growl my other guitars don't...

soldierkahn likes this.
  15. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

aawww that makes sense, I though you bought it new. Yeah second hand is other game.

And for those options, check what I wrote in the previous page. I found a squire affinity series strat in beautiful seafoam green in mint condition for 120$ on a pawn shop. Get the new neck and perfect. Maybe add a humbucker in the bridge with a new pickguard for what 120$ extra? (and re-use the other pickups), still pretty cheap. You can also try to sell the neck for a bit cashback

Even far cheaper, they also have some weird brand strat in the shop for 40$ in mint condition too. Neck is garbage, but you are changing that with the conversion neck. Get the new pickguard with a bridge humbucker at 120$ trow some locking tunners at 80$. Thats a 610$ in total

16. diagrammatiks

Ya definitely if you are looking for the most value just get whatever body is cheap. There's a website that only sells used fender bodies as well. I forgot what it was called though.

My only is thing about being off brand bodies is that they might not work, which isn't an issue if you know what you are doing. But I don't know what I'm doing. So the warmoth bodies and fender bodies and any body on reverb that says it will work with fender necks will work.

Such a good value though. I should do it more often.

17. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

yeah I know what you mean. But it shouldnt be too much of a problem to fix if the neck pocket is not tight, Im more scared of it not being on the right place and the guitar wont intonate.

Im thinking ocne I get my next payments to see if I can get a better price if I buy the two. Like try to get the no-brand one for free if I get the Squire, with a "look at the neck and action, this is un-playable, no-one would buy this (it is actually terrible with a huge forward bow and action), I jsut wanted to cut in half to decorate my wall or something...." :lol: the lady who was there at that time had no friking idea of guitars, it was the classic salesperson lying to their teeth to try to sell it thinking you dont know crap. So funny to pretend I didnt knew about what guitar was that lol. She even had to point and read the headstock name "thats a great guitar.." *gets close and squints* "Ssssquiiree....." hahaha

My original idea was to get a cheap knock-off like that 40$ one to use as a test dummy to learn fret leveling and crown, and nut file/build ect. But that Squire so cheap in such a beauty color and condition just keep talking to me. New they are 350$, they have it for 120$!! (Idont wanna know how much did they gave to the poor owner of it)....cant stop seeing it with the contrast of a full neck/fretboard in wenge (I wanted rosewood but due to CITIES I opt for wenge instead to have the dark brown look)... stupid GAS :wallbash:

If I get them I would try to swap the necks between them to see if it fits, if it intonates and if it would need any mod to make it work or not. Then I could know I can use any for any purpose, maybe one baritone and one standard with a better neck? donno, I blame the GAS

18. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire only the dead have seen the end of GAS

you might cause yourself more headaches than you need to if you use off brand bodies (neck pocket dimensions could vary). If your're comfortable sanding the neck pocket though it could be fine. best bet would be get a cheap squire body if at all possible.

19. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

yeah thats kinda the idea on trying to get the two for the price of the Squire, or at least bring down the price to the cheap one to 20$. I would have the Squire for the baritone build, and the knockoff one for practicing addressing frets and stuff (as my original plan), if it happens that the neck can fit, then it would be a bonus and a "Free body" for a second build. Or the main build, leaving the Squire for more traditional stuff

20. xwmucradiox

xwmucradiox sweep.tap.sweep

If you get the most expensive woods and finished bodies then warmoth will be expensive. If you get an unfinished body and put on an oil finish yourself and then get a maple neck you can build a simple bari conversion for $500.