27 frets; choosing a new guitar

anatoid

tech death; fusion jazz; gear head
Reaction score
Hey!
I am currently choosing my next axe. The price point is around 3-4k usd. I know that there probably is much that I can buy for this much money however my requirements are pretty strict. I am looking for a 6 string super strat with:
-27 frets
-a standard scale (no multiscale)
-a floyd rose type bridge
-an HH configuration (humbucker and a hot railed single is ok too I guess)

I wanted to buy either an ESP maverick or caparison horus m3, but neither have any reviews. Is there anything else any of you could recommend me? Has anyone here had any experience with any of the listed guitars?

I live in Europe and its hardly possible to check most of the guitars in person that is why I am looking for recommendations.

Last edited:

Thesius

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Standard as in 25.5? The Horus is 24.75 iirc. I'm surprised you weren't able to find any reviews on them. They are great guitars. There are those old Hamer Californians as well. I'm not sure if they come in HH configuration though I've only played or seen them with a single coil in the neck.

anatoid

Reaction score
Standard as in 25.5? The Horus is 24.75 iirc.
By standard I meant no multiscale hah

also I forgot to mention that I am looking for a brand new guitar therefore hamers have to pass

mogar

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Since you live in Europe, you might also be able to track down an ESP Maverick.

Flappydoodle

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I have a Caparison Horus M3. Fantastic guitar.

What do you want to know about it?

anatoid

Reaction score
I have a Caparison Horus M3. Fantastic guitar.

What do you want to know about it?
I wonder whether the nickel frets are good quality. Basically the built quality is what i would like to ask you about. Hmm also; is the neck profile comparable to any mass-produced guitar model (you know, something I can easily find in a guitar store so that I could check it myself)
Thanks in advance 😁

anatoid

Reaction score
I’d advise you to wait a month or two then😉
I mean; the last time I bought a nickel fretted strat they were pretty much worn out after like 6 or 7 months
That caparison wouldn’t be my number 1 axe though therefore I wouldn’t play it 10hours a day 🤷🏻‍♀️

NoodleFace

Delicious Noodles
Reaction score
Nickel frets have been used since the dawn of time, I wouldn't worry too much. If you're really worried, when they're worn down just have it refretted with SD.frets. In the US that's a $250-300 job,.not that much considering caparisons are going new for $3k+

I found my caparison neck profile comparable to Jackson thin necks. Probably because of their origins.

They're top quality instruments from top to bottom. I couldn't have a bad thing to say about them outside their ridiculous prices

jco5055

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I mean; the last time I bought a nickel fretted strat they were pretty much worn out after like 6 or 7 months
That caparison wouldn’t be my number 1 axe though therefore I wouldn’t play it 10hours a day 🤷🏻‍♀️

oh not sure if you got what I was saying, but I may or may not have talked to the owner of Caparison and he may or may not have confirmed SS fret models are coming in ~june or july :hbang:

anatoid

Reaction score
oh not sure if you got what I was saying, but I may or may not have talked to the owner of Caparison and he may or may not have confirmed SS fret models are coming in ~june or july :hbang:
God bless you man! Thankfully I haven’t bought it yet… literally made my day haha

anatoid

Reaction score
Nickel frets have been used since the dawn of time, I wouldn't worry too much. If you're really worried, when they're worn down just have it refretted with SD.frets. In the US that's a $250-300 job,.not that much considering caparisons are going new for $3k+

I found my caparison neck profile comparable to Jackson thin necks. Probably because of their origins.

They're top quality instruments from top to bottom. I couldn't have a bad thing to say about them outside their ridiculous prices
Thank you guys! I may have decided to go for the caparison.

Amenthea

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I know you've made your choice but Hamer Cali's are absolute beasts. I've got 2 of them, and it would be the 1st guitar I'd grab if I was only allowed one. Granted they are 20+ years old now though!

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score

About time Caparison, about time.