27” 8 string woes

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by Chris Bowsman, Jul 19, 2019.

1. Chris Bowsman

Chris Bowsman SS.org Regular

Put the Ionizer back in, went back to the 60/80... now it sounds great.

Joan Maal and cardinal like this.
  2. Jaysus85

Jaysus85 SS.org Regular

absolutely. I've had a couple 28s and its just been a headache getting things to just work perfectly as you describe.

3. Nick

Nick SS.org Regular

I have a 25.5 -27.2 fan and I use a normal set of 10s + 62 and 80.

The 80 is quite loose in comparison to the rest but I found it a decent compromise. I'd try an 82 if I can find one but wouldnt go much higher.

I used to use an 80 on my old m80m and it felt great but that's 29.4" and the guitar was unusable for anything other than meshuggah....unsurprisingly.

Go with what feels and sounds best to you because this stuff is super subjective.

4. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire Build the Wall of Sound™

I've tried most string brands out there, and for 8 strings I found the LaBellas to be the best option for not sounding like a bass. I'll also echo others here and say 8 strings in general need less bass, less gain and more treble than 6 or 7 strings, though pickup choice makes a big difference as well.

5. Djentlover666

Djentlover666 Good case of the djents

.074-.080 for F# or F for 27 inch scale. .080-.085 for E. I would highly recommend 28 inch scale or 30 inch scale if you want to go lower. I use an .080 for E on 28 inches, and I'm trying a .074 on a 30 inch scale 9 string for the 8th string but I am going to go back to using an .080. But that because I use the josh travis tuning for my 9 string. ADADCCGG#E. (The 5th string is slightly sharp) Low to high.
    EAEADGG#E for my 8 string if your curious.