27” 8 string woes

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by Chris Bowsman, Jul 19, 2019.

1. Chris Bowsman

Chris Bowsman SS.org Regular

Finding the happy medium between feel, tone, and tuning stability on a 27” 8 string sure is fun.

I have the 9-80 NYXL set on now, and the 60 and 80 are back to sounding like a bass. Amazon has NYXL singles for semi-reasonable prices, so I just ordered a 56 and 70.

Just curious, if anyone has settled on specific gauges more or less for good, how long did it take to find them?

2. cardinal

cardinal F# Dive Bomber

I've been using d'Addario .068 for the low F# since I started. That's what was on my first 8-string (ESP B8) and it seems to work the best. I've since bought some guitars with other strings but did not like them. Other brands and thicker gauges sound too dull and muddy to me.

I have to immediately switch out to the d'Addario .068, otherwise I cannot get the guitar to sound right.

3. Masoo2

Masoo2 SS.org Regular

For 27 I generally stuck with 56s/58s and 74s cause I often left the lowest strings in Ab and Eb respectively, but for B and F# I'd probably opt for 52/54 and something within the realm of 64-70

4. conorreich

conorreich Momento Mori

I've been using Ernie ball .9-.80 strings for drop e. The e gets a little flubby, but it works and does not sound like a bass.

5. trem licking

trem licking SS.org Regular

.007-.68 progressive tension daddario set, but on 28". Might step it up to .70 or .72 on 27", but only if .68 was too boingy. Sounds really good to me

6. Chris Bowsman

Since most people talk about 85 and 90 or whatever, it’s cool to see some others in the lighter range.

Should have mentioned I’m using standard F# and B for the bottom strings. E sounds cool when I hear others do it, but it’s total ass with my setup.

Still blows me away how much difference in tone there is with the thick strings. Going from 65 to 80 had me tweaking my presets for like 2 hours last night.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2019
  7. redkombat

redkombat SS.org Regular

I tune down d wirh 10-52 then a 65 and an 80. Gauges are thin but they sound more like a guitar than bass. I just have to play the strings soft sometimes

8. vick1000

vick1000 SS.org Regular

9. beavis2306

beavis2306 Lusts for gear

What are you running it through? Amp? Axe fx or something with convenient and extensive eq control?

10. WhiteLightOfDeath

WhiteLightOfDeath Hidden Sword

Tom Winspear!!

11. Chris Bowsman

POD XT Live into a ‘73 Super Reverb. The Super is set as neutral as possible. I know it sounds weird, but it’s super easy to get really gnarly tones.

12. cardinal

cardinal F# Dive Bomber

The XT has some great tones in there.

Masoo2 and Chris Bowsman like this.
  13. Chris Bowsman

I just got it on a whim a few months ago. For being 15 year old tech, and costing me like $85 shipped, I'm really enjoying it.

However, if you have any tips or tricks with it, I'm all ears. Just learned about using the Line out setting, and that improved it a lot. Same with cutting frequencies with the EQ rather than boosting. I'm considering buying the Metal Shop amps, but feel like I might rather keep the $50 to use towards a newer modeling device.

14. cardinal

cardinal F# Dive Bomber

I just used the JCM and SLO sims and thought they sounded really nice. I'd still use it but I gave it to a friend just learning guitar.

15. Chris Bowsman

The SLO is really good. The JCM2000 is weird... I'll spend a few hours messing with a patch, think it sounds like shit, go to bed, then the next day think it's amazing.

I really like the L6 Spinal Puppet, too. Very Recto inspired, but I dig it.

16. newamerikangospel

newamerikangospel Tonight.......you

I would suggest going bigger than you think. I had 9-80s tuned up a half step and didn't like it. I have a bass 105 and I tune down a full step (low E) on a 28inch scale, and love it. I dont really touch my presets on amp sims, and push my tone knob on my overdrive a bit more on amps.

I feel like the difference in bigger strings isnt so much the size but the double windings once you get past a certain size (65 or so from my experience) killing overtones.

17. Chris Bowsman

Started with a 74, thought it was sloppy, tried a GHS 80, liked the tension at first, but thought it sounded like mud. Went back to a D'Addario 74, got used to the lower tension, then tried a 65, and LOVED the sound. I used Player's Points to get the NYXL 9-80 set to see if their 80 was better than the GHS. It is, but it's back in the direction of sounding like a bass.

I've given up trying to figure out why I like different tunings on different things. For instance, my 6s are always in drop C (or B when I didn't own a 7), but I don't really like drop tunings on the 7 or 8, unless it's really weird, like drop C plus a low G on the 7. Even then, it's fun for a minute, but I go back to standard. I absolutely love F# or F on the 8, but E is no good.

18. newamerikangospel

newamerikangospel Tonight.......you

I was actually very disappointed when I first got my 8, because I got it with the intention of tuning up a full step, but at 28inch scale length, it would break the high F#. When I out my standard strings on it (10-52+70 for half step on a 26.5 scale) I just added a bass string that matched tension. I had it a half step down and it just didnt play like I wanted. I actually had it up for sale. For some reason I tuned it down a full step to E and it started to sing for me. I didnt want to tune that low originally and thought that it would sound terrible being in the bass range, but it actually sounded massive and clear, and opened up my line options on my bass more in a metal mix. I would just say that its extremely personal, but if you ever get the chance maybe try out a bigger low string. My biggest positive is tuning stability. I can still knock it out if I am not careful, but can chug a low 5th and it sound sludgy but still in tune for the most part

19. Dayn

Dayn silly person

I found my problem was the type of string. For a low E, I tried .080 from GHS, from D'Addario, and I even used .080 and .085 bass strings.

I now use a .090 from Kalium for my low E, and a .059 for my low B. It behaves much more like a guitar string. Similarly, La Bella also behaved more like a guitar string at higher gauges, but I just personally preferred Kalium. I settled on those gauges because they matched the tension of my other strings, but changing to those brands meant that the strings I was using were flexible, despite being thick.

20. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

This is where i was falling out of love with the 8 string. Granted when i moved on from them i hadnt tried EMGs in it let alone fishman (they hadnt released any of the modern stuff etc at that point) plus ive only recently started exclusively using elixir strings.

I would probably get on fine tone wise now on an 8 if i tried again. I just dont have a need in my band now.
    27 never felt like it was long enough for the low on an 8. Should be 28 at least imo. Preferably fan fret so the higher strings are then actually useable.

Winspear likes this.