27” 8 string set

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by Chris Bowsman, May 7, 2019.

1. Chris Bowsman

Chris Bowsman SS.org Regular

I know, another thread about strings.

Just stopped by GC in Columbus, and got what I hope is gonna be a sweet 8 string set. Got the balanced tension 9-40 and 10-74 D’Addarios. My plan is to use the 9-40 for 1-6, then pull the 54 and 74 from the 8 string set. This is approx 15 lbs for each string.

The cool part is, add a 52 to the leftovers, and I have a 10-52+64 7 string set.

MerlinTKD and BananaDemocracy like this.
  2. BananaDemocracy

BananaDemocracy 8 String Impaler

Thats very clever *the 7 string left over and I’m glad you asked because I didn’t know what a hard issue/impact the tension is. I just bought an M80M which I think its 29.5” scalne so i dont think this would work on mine. Where/ how did you arrive at this calculation/deduction ? Thank you for sharing

Chris Bowsman likes this.
  3. Chris Bowsman

Google “string tension pro.” It’s Daddario ‘s calculator. You start with an existing set, plug in your scale length and tuning, then you can see what the tensions will be. You can then tweak the gauges to get what you think you’d like.

It’s not all as simple as balancing tension, but it’s a great starting off point. With 6 string sets, I can usually find a stock set that’s close enough, but the availability of 8 string sets is obviously not as good.

BananaDemocracy likes this.
  4. Chris Bowsman

Oiled the fretboard and re-strung the TAM10 with the new set: 9,12,15,22,30,40,54,74.

Spent the evening and this morning with it plugged in. Once I raised the action a little, it totally came to life. The thinner strings are much clearer and more guitar-like.

Also, D’Addario’s 74 F# sounds way better than the GHS 80. I swapped to the 80 right after I got the guitar, but I’ve since adjusted my attack, so the thinner 74 works great. Tuned down to E, the 80 sounded like mud. F# sounds better, but the 74 sounds much clearer for E, as well.

Assuming it’s the construction, as they’re obviously made quite differently.

BananaDemocracy likes this.
  5. cardinal

cardinal F# Dive Bomber

With the larger gauge strings, I was stunned how much difference in sound there is between the string brands. I'd never really paid attention to it, but when I started playing 8s it was very obvious. I also prefer D'Addarios to the GHS and Ernie Ball strings that I've tried.

I use a .068 for the F#, which I know is probably too light for most people to like, but to me is sounds right. I just have to be careful not to push my palm down too hard during palm muting and to make sure my fretting hand isn't getting carried away.

6. Bucketheadtwo

Bucketheadtwo ΔSCΞΠD BΞYΘΠD

I've been trying to figure out a good way to combine those really inconvenient string sets and I think you just figured out a good way to do it lol. What I used to do for my 8 was just buy the lighter tension 9-54 7-string set and put a single 74 on the bottom instead of having to buy a proper 6-string set and two individuals. Amazon has always made buying individual strings for 7s and 8s easier, but the price still isn't the best. I hope one day the big string manufacturers will make actually appropriate drop tuning or double drop tuning sets for 7s and 8s. I'd love a set of 10s on top with at least a 64 on the bottom for 7-string Drop A or a 9-74 set for 8s. Dunlop used to have a nice 9-62 7-string set that was good, but it's difficult or impossible to find now (I think it's out of production). There's also the 9.5-64 7-string NYXL set D'Addario makes for Strandbergs, and the 10-62 Ernie Ball Paradigm and Cobalt sets for 7-strings (but they have a 10-52 for the main 6, and not everybody wants that), but they're all more expensive types of strings than the standard nickel-steel sets.

7. Chris Bowsman

I’ve been reluctant to try Stringjoy because of the relatively high prices, but may give them a shot for the 7 and 8 string.

MerlinTKD likes this.
  8. cardinal

cardinal F# Dive Bomber

I've been buying 6-string sets of the D'Addario NYXL or whatever and then singles for the 7th and 8th string.

No one else seems to have the problem, but with these longer-scale 8-strings, I snap high E strings like nobodies business. The NYXL strings seem to hold up better.

9. MerlinTKD

MerlinTKD EIght.Fold.Path / Hinge Theory Contributor

They're cheaper than NYXL's, at least for me (about the same when you add in shipping), and WAY cheaper than buying packs+singles.

For 7 and 8 string anyway... I haven't bought a 6 set (cause I never play my 6er :lol:)

10. BananaDemocracy

BananaDemocracy 8 String Impaler

Chris. What about eb super slinky set? They have a great. 8 string set too. I want to use the super slinky 7 and add a 69 on the low E! But their 8 strings doesn’t look at all bad

11. Chris Bowsman

I bought the 8 string D'Addario set for $11, the balanced tension 9 set for $6, and I can get a single 52 for $2. That's right around $20 for a 7 string and 8 string set, in the gauges I want. Priced it out at Stringjoy, and it was gonna be $29 before shipping.

Are their strings as good as the NYXL? I love trying new stuff, but aside from easily building a custom set, it just seems like they're more expensive. The website says they make better strings, but never explain how. Also, their "balanced tension" sets are not very balanced.

I'll probably give the 9-80 set a shot sometime.

12. robski92

robski92 SS.org Regular

I switch between String joys and D'Addario NYXLs all the time and in my opinion they feel/sound pretty similar. The stringjoys probably sound more like the regular D'Addarios to me. I've never had issues with them though!

That 9-80 NYXL set is the only one I use on my 8 strings though. It's perfect to me!

Other sets I kind of custom make are

10-52+68 for drop G (25.5" scale on my Ibanez) 11-52+74 for drop F# (25.5" scale on my Kiesel) and 12-54+80 for drop F (27" scale on my ESP) but I would probably use either on both scale lengths.

13. MerlinTKD

MerlinTKD EIght.Fold.Path / Hinge Theory Contributor

Wow, those are great prices... I must have been buying from the wrong place :lol:

NYXL's were my previous favorite... I'd say the Stringjoy are as good as, but they do sound a little different. To *my* ear, the NYXL's have a bit more low end? Maybe low-mids? Rich, and a little dark (in a good way). The Stringjoy are (again, to *my* ear) more balanced, pretty even across the spectrum, but still rich and full. As a comparison, I've tried Kalium, which I found *extremely* bright, and all the usual Daddario/Ernie Ball, etc, which are fine but just kind of meh to me.

As far as the balanced sets, I know what you mean, my first couple Stringjoy sets were custom in what I thought would be more balanced... I was wrong. It doesn't seem like it would work on paper, but their balanced sets really do feel and sound super even across the strings.

Well, again, to me. YMMV. :)

Chris Bowsman likes this.
  14. Chris Bowsman

The prices I mentioned were D’Addario XL, not NYXL.

Thanks for the words about Stringjoy. Typically, it’s “OMG best effing strings ever lol” and other meaningless crap.

MerlinTKD likes this.