27” 7 String With Fixed Bridge Options

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by buck fever, Mar 2, 2020.

1. buck fever

buck fever Contributor

I love the SC-607b, and the SCT-607b. Super well made guitars; that natural gloss model is stunning, IMO. The only thing is I didn’t like the pickup config - I always get caught up on the middle pickup. And I don’t like actives. I actually just sold a green sparkle SCT and I wish I hadn’t.

Thanks for showing me the E-II. I’m going to keep my eyes open for a deal - that’s an awesome looking guitar!

Zanmato86 likes this.
  2. AndiKravljaca

AndiKravljaca SS.org Regular

Misha Mansoor's Jackson sigs are just about the best HT seven strings I've ever played at least. The Pro series ones aren't that bad pricewise.

3. Imalwayscold

Imalwayscold Is actually warm

This is the hunt I had for a while in the UK, with the only option being some ltds such as the Mh417, but they were TOM bridges.

I ended up with an RG1077XL and more recently a 2027XL, to which I blocked both of the teens with a tremelno. However this year though we've been blessed with the ibanez iron label, the new Alex Wade and also the Ltd black metal M-7HT, so there's thankfully now a bit of choice as long as you like black guitars!

4. Albake21

Albake21 "Just get a used Ibanez Prestige."

Quick question (sorry for the slight off topic). How do you like the 2027XL vs the 1077XL? I've seen people say they prefer the 1077XL, but I've also seen others say that it's not much different.

5. Imalwayscold

Imalwayscold Is actually warm

After a good solid year with the two to compare. I would say I like the 2027 as I prefer the neck and small appointments such as the volute, ebony board and absence of middle pickup. They are both superb though and I use them both at shows with no preference.

Albake21 likes this.
  6. buck fever

buck fever Contributor

I’ve been looking for a 1077xl or 2077xl forever. Let me know if you ever sell yours!

I absolutely love the 2027xl, though. Best guitar I’ve played to date.

7. studmiester7

studmiester7 Official Logo

Just to chime in, I've got the LTD V-407B (27" scale flying V) and it is a freaking MONSTER of a guitar. It's become my main work-horse, especially after dropping a set of Lundgren M7's in.....tasty.

8. karjim

karjim Set the World Afire

[​IMG] Keep searchin' worth every penny , the ultimate 27 Ibby

Masoo2, benny and buck fever like this.
  9. torchlord

torchlord SS.org Regular

The biggest issues I have with my Agile Reaper 7 string was that the Floyd Rose Saddles were a weak metal, and I was using a much thicker string gage at the time, and caused the saddle bolt to strip out trying to tighten down the saddle blocks so that the string wouldn't come out. I had to upgrade the saddles.

If you are avoiding the cheaper Floyd Rose altogether then that won't be a problem.

One potential big issue could be that my frets were shot within 2 months, and I had to have a refret done. I chose to get stainless steel frets which have been good for years now.

Twice a year they have a Semi-Custom order that allows you to order the guitar exactly how you want it to be, with a 400 dollar down payment. You have to wait for 3-4 months for it to come in though. This is the order form they had for Agile Reapers last year so you can see what sort of options they did have available. They change the order form every year on what sort of options you can get. I wanted to get another Reaper but the Rondo guy said they were not going to offer it again.

https://www.rondomusic.com/Custom_Agile_Reaper.html

You can have the guitar you want the way you want, and I would check off the option to have stainless steel frets, as I wasn't too impressed with the quality of metal they had for the frets.

You will probably have to keep watching the page to see when orders open up for the semi-custom guitars on the order page though.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2020
  10. nightlight

nightlight SS.org Regular

11. Carl Kolchak

Carl Kolchak SS.org Regular

Kiesel DC700. A straight-forward 7 string w/ very good ergonomics. I got mine used.

buck fever likes this.
  12. buck fever

buck fever Contributor

Great idea! I did pick one up recently though, and really couldn’t get on with the looks of the beveled body. I know beggars can’t be choosers, but I’m waiting for the right model.

nightlight likes this.
  13. buck fever

buck fever Contributor

Love it! I recently picked up a Kiesel SCB7 with a hipshot bridge and I love it. I also picked up a K8 with 27” scale and hipshot bridge and the same result - probably the nicest guitars I’ve ever played. Unbelievable attention to detail, beyond anything I’ve seen on a Prestige. Now, my next one will be a 27” 7 string!

14. nightlight

How did the guitar play? Did you try swapping out the pups?

15. buck fever

buck fever Contributor

I didn’t love the neck shape, honestly. It reminded me of the shape of the JBM27, which checks almost all of my boxes. I just couldn’t get over the neck feels. I’d love to see a RGR2027XLFX, honestly. That would be a dream for me.

16. nightlight

Ah, you may not like most Ibanezes then. The neck is usually the thing that makes me have trouble with them, get a bit of pain sometimes.

I had the same thoughts about the neck on the 1820X I used to own. It was really thin, whereas I prefer a more rounded shape, maybe a D, or a shallow C.

Great guitar otherwise, craftmanship was top notch. I heard the JPM models had a slightly fatter neck, maybe even close to a Musicman. Might want to try one of those.

17. Carl Kolchak

Carl Kolchak SS.org Regular

Mine's a 27", as I knew I'd be tuning to A standard or lower. It's weird though, but the Kiesel is only .5 of an inch longer in scale length than my 26.5" Schecter but Schecter feels "cramped" in comparison.

Not having played a Prestige recently enough to make any kind of "playability" assessments between them and the Kiesels, I can't really say one is better than the other. What I can say about this particular DC700 that I own is that, for the money, and I know this is to be an entirely subjective phenomenon, it has proven itself to be the best playing guitar I've ever owned. That said, I think the Kiesel's "value" is wholly dependent upon what's currently available on the used market.

18. buck fever

buck fever Contributor

i worded that really awkwardly. Said differently, I love my RG2027XL; the neck is perfect for me in every way. The Ibanez RGD and JBM series were both chunkier necks and I didn’t like them at all.

if they’d make that 2027XL in a fixed, it’d be perfect. Looks like the LACS CSD2 would be right up my alley.

19. yan12

yan12 SS.org Regular

If you excluded Schecter for price over 2k, hit up reverb. There are several Schecter USA custom classic ii-7 that have hardtails and 27" scales in your price range. They discontinued that model but they are beastly guitars and extremely well made. Just a thought.

20. gunch

gunch Riff Chugman

Ok the thing about Agile is that they are cheaper than most Korean imports at the cost of the dude just literally shipping them out of his warehouse as they come in and it's up to you to check it over for defects and ship it back for a replacement if you don't like it.