26.5" Seven String

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by Walter W., Sep 3, 2019.

1. Walter W.

Walter W. Active Member

I'm sure this has been asked before, don't shoot! I have a Jackson HT7 with a 26.5" scale, and wanting opinions on string guage size for this scale length tuned to B standard maybe drop A at the most. Don't want the low strings to sound like a bass, but don't want them to be so big that its hard to pick fast. Mostly use it for Amon Amarth rhythm type riffs. Thanks for any suggestions

Last edited: Sep 3, 2019
  2. MrWulf

MrWulf SS.org Regular

10 58 tends to works most of the time. 9 62 aint bad either. I like 11 64 on my guitar though.

Walter W. likes this.
  3. Metropolis

Metropolis SS.org Regular

Try a 9-42 set or 9-46 + something between 0.056 - 0.060 for low string. I use 9-46 + 56 with 25,5" scale in standard tuning and it's fine, maybe I would go up gauge or two with low B. This if you prefer strings to have snappy attack and somewhat light touch, if not then go higher in gauge. 62 or 64 with 11's is in the thicker side in my opinion.

Masoo2 and Walter W. like this.
  4. Walter W.

Walter W. Active Member

Also is it fairly common to have to file the nut open a little bit to accommodate the heavier string guages?

5. Sollipsist

Sollipsist SS.org Regular

I've got a Jackson 26.5" scale with 60 on the low string and for me that seems to be the best compromise for drop A. The tension is still slightly floppier than I like, and I have to be more careful about hitting it hard and sending it sharp... but anything thicker just gives me that bass guitar sound. FWIW, I didn't have any issues with the nut slot when I went up to 64, although balancing the action with the thinner strings started to be an issue.

Walter W. likes this.
  6. Walter W.

Walter W. Active Member

I'm thinking maybe order several single strings of different guages and experiment to see what feels best

FILTHnFEAR likes this.
  7. Anquished

Anquished hhnice!

I'm using 9.5-60 on my PRS in B standard, feels spot on.

The 60 is fine for drop A too. :agreed:

Walter W. likes this.
  8. fproject

fproject Member

I have a 25" scale with 10-62 and like it in drop A. Might go 9-60 on the next set though.

Walter W. and AkiraSpectrum like this.
  9. Vyn

Vyn Not a Sparkly Vampire

9-46 + 62 for 26.5 is perfect, it's what Merrow and Loomis both use (Merrow in Drop A, Loomis in Drop A and Bb standard). I find that for B standard I can get away with the 62 for a B, 60 is a bit more comfortable though.

Walter W. likes this.