250k vs 500k Pot

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by KiD Cudi, Feb 16, 2012.

1. KiD Cudi

KiD Cudi SS.org Regular

I've just pulled the trigger on some 7 string BKP Aftermaths that I'm gonna put into a Schecter Loomis guitar (Ash/Maple/Maple) that has EMGs in it so I know I'm gonna have to change the volume pot. I was already a bit worried about the sound being a little bright so would the 250k pot give me a bit of a warmer sound without compromising definition (which I desperately need for the dent type stuff I play) or should I just go with a 500k pot?

2. gs_waldemar

gs_waldemar SS.org Regular

you can buy a handful of capacitators, which are really cheap, and set the resonance of your system lower (thats the "chug" that you want to keep). Just solder them into the pickup's singal chain. You can use different ones for each pickup or put them further in the back of the signal chain to affect all pickups!

You can try 47pF 100pF or 200pF (pico-faraday) capacitators, the ones with the higher numbers will change the sound drastically, but not change the definition!! The definition will just be set lower!

Its the same effect as you turn the tone pot all the way to zero - some of the chug returns!!! The capacitator in your tone pot makes the sound all muddy then. The oney I recommended are much more subtle however (the capacitators in your tone poti are 47nF so they're 1000x stronger)

Have fun

3. xeonblade

xeonblade SS.org Regular

Buy both, it's cheap.

4. purpledc

purpledc Proud blacksheep

I would run a 500. 1meg ohm tones are the ones to really watch out for. 250K is really the choice for single coil pickups. If the 500 doesnt work out you can solder a resistor to it to make it appear to be a 250k. 250k pots on a humbucker just sounds muted to my ears.

5. dr_game0ver

dr_game0ver SS.org Regular

easy! 250K for blues or other no-violent musics and 500K for aggressive tone (heavy or death or all the things we like!!)

6. iamdunker

iamdunker SS.org Regular

500k fo sho.

7. clintsal

clintsal Humbub

550k > 500k

Haa! But really, the bkp-modded pots sound best to me (avail from nick @ axepalace). They give a bit more presence and output, which provides a nice edge into a distorted amp. 1megs can be nice with the right pickups, generally ones that don't have ceramic magnets, in mahogany.