25.5" vs. 27"

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by charles22880, May 2, 2007.

1. charles22880

charles22880 SS.org Regular

i was looking at the agile interceptor and thought to myself whats the difference between a 25.5" & 27" scale neck and whit it does for the guitar. please tell me.

2. Tombinator

Tombinator Anti

It affects the tension of the strings, which is also affected on what tunings you decide to use. The length and width of the neck can also suit the ergonomics of your body build, arm length and size of your hands - so to speak, your personal comfort zone for an axe choice.

Tymon goes through the pros and cons of his new Interceptor here in the review section:
    http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/showthread.php?t=21504

3. Hexer

Hexer Contributor

try doing a search, there are lots of threads with lots of info about this in here.

basically from what I figured from what I read about it:
    - longer scale = higher string tension. so some people prefer it for lower tunings or if they want to use lighter strings at the same tension
    - longer scale = clearer sound. dunno how much difference it makes yet, havent played a longer scale guitar extensively yet (26.5" axe in the making)
    - the distance between frets is bigger on a longer scale instrument of course. if this is good or not probably is for everyone to decide for themselves
    - bending is actually supposed to be a little easier even though the tension is higher because of the "longer" string (you get what I mean)

try searching for "extended scale" or something like that and you'll find LOTS of info on here

4. Naren

Naren OldschoolGhettostyle

:agreed: More than you ever wanted to know.

5. Hexer

Hexer Contributor

haha, thats right!
    like always when you do a "quick search for a bit of info" on this board: take a few hours of time!:fawk: