24-tone Agile 7 string

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by nicomortem, Dec 15, 2014.

1. Bolwede

Bolwede SS.org Regular

2. nicomortem

nicomortem SS.org Regular

We will be putting up another video soon, this time with two guitarists!

3. Geysd

Geysd Well-Known Member

Man that Band/Guitarist is sick. Love his variety of instruments (shown some on another vid)

Some days ago I just started researching for other string instruments because I love oriental/exotic sounds, and I found this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRsSjh5TTqI

Sound example at 2:30

edit:

Question to the Agile: Can you really play the last few frets? They look really really small haha

And isn't it possible to "emulate" a microtonal instrument on a fretless guitar?

4. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

Each tuning system is a series of possible notes. The simplest tuning systems for guitar are "equal divided octave" or "EDO." For example dividing the octave into 12 equal parts (12-EDO) is standard tuning. Quarter tone steps yield 24-EDO. Another very old system is 19-EDO, which offers enharmonic variance between sharps and flats, and offers some improvements on the tones in 12-EDO, but gives up a tiny bit of consonance on the fifths.

Fretless is essentially infinity EDO. There would be no imposed rules, but also no imposed structure. Every time you go to play a chord on a fretless, it will sound just slightly different than the last time.

5. nicomortem

nicomortem SS.org Regular

We just made a video demonstrating these identical Agile Interceptors with 24-Tone fingerboard conversions, I posted a link to the Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations thread, it's got Sam and I playing the 2nd song from our upcoming EP.

6. Sullen

Sullen In misery we rest

You can always mark the fret positions on a fretless to help with that.