22 Year old Man w/ Down Syndrome Beaten By Police

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by habicore_5150, Oct 29, 2013.

1. habicore_5150

habicore_5150 El Psy Congroove

Call me crazy, but at the rate of news like this, maybe there should be a megathread in this section, but back on topic

22 Year Old With Down Syndrome Beaten By The Police For

News like this make me wish that the officer that beat on this guy should be fired

What do you guys think of this?

2. Cloudy

Cloudy Wood Labs

Scumbag police officer, this is 100% unacceptable.

3. AxeHappy

AxeHappy SS.org Regular

What's up with the police and being ....inf morons? Don't they go to college and whatnot in the US?

4. Breakdown

Breakdown SS.org Regular

College is not a requirement but even if it was a requirement, a college education doesnt mean they'll be good cops or that they are good people.

5. xzyryabx

xzyryabx SS.org Regular

kids need to be taught not to run from the police....but with the police (some of them) the way they are and the stories kids hear it's kinda hard not to run.
    Damnit i'm a full grown man with nothing to hide and my adrenaline starts pumping as soon as I'm approached by a cop.
    can't help but feel if his name was walter and he had blond hair and lived in a nicer neighborhood things would have turned out diferrently though.....
    in any case, this is ....ed, welcome to 'murica

Norwegian police have to have a masters degree in criminal science as well as pass a multitude of courses on sensitivity training + other shit.
    I think that would DEFINITELY cut down on this bullshit, seems to be working for them.

Plus, get these guys to wear cameras when on active duty which can't be turned off. The stats i've seen from that ALONE had cut down complaints against the police by a massive percentage (like 75+)

6. Osorio

Osorio SS.org Regular

In Auschwitz, they listened to Wagner, had discussions about philosophy and killed jews. Culture and education do not equate to being good and right.

It also works for Norway because the whole population is much more educated and mindful of other people (at least that was what it felt like when I was there, and what charts on quality of life seemed to indicate the last time I checked); most absurdly polite people I have ever encountered. I was there for new year's once, I believe it was 2002. There was a news paper article about the police, it read (translated) something like: "Police shot 7 bullets the entire year. 5 of them in training." This was in Stavenger, not exactly the biggest but not exactly a small time town in Norway either.

Food for thought.

7. Solodini

Solodini MORE RESTS!

Improving culture needs to start somewhere, though.

8. Osorio

Osorio SS.org Regular

^ surely. Don't get me wrong, I would welcome any improvement...

But I do find this notion of "College as the end all be all solution of education"... Flawed. I don't know in the US, but here in Brazil, everyone thinks the only way to succeed in anything is to go to college. I grew up listening to this. In the last decade alone, the number of institutions across the country grew from 800-ish to 2800-ish. I've attended to at least a full year in 4 different superior courses across very different universities of different areas of study (Administration and Economics, Graphic Design, Computer Science and Math, Music), and all I can say is that the overall education and culture in people is not increasing... Getting in is simply easier now, with so many options, and the value of the University is decreasing.

I was particularly appalled by the Computer Science course, where people were extremely mediocre all around. And Music, where College serve as an ego booster for people already in the known.

Want to improve culture? Take better care of your children. Don't blame lack of college education because the only thing college can do is turn you from a prospect engineer to full-fledged engineer. It can't, and won't, make you a better person.

Just my :2c:, anyway

9. AxeHappy

AxeHappy SS.org Regular

So your argument is that making police take a course in say...dealing with people with disabilites wouldn't help cut down on the issues the police are having in...dealing with people with disabilities.

That and maybe actully punishment for these ....ing douchebags when they do shit like this.

10. Rev2010

Rev2010 Contributor

Wow, what's up with Florida and aggressive authority figures? Seeing a bulge in someone's pants automatically means it's a firearm and you have a right to stop and frisk the person for no other reason? The kid claims he didn't try to run away, who knows, but either way being stopped for that is plain ridiculous. Guess what? I have a bulge that sticks out of my side too... it's called a Galaxy S3 cellphone. Guess I might get stopped too if I were in Florida... oh wait, I'm white and harmless :noplease: <- not to bring in any racial bias crap, but this instance certainly looks like his skin color may have played a role.

Rev.

11. Osorio

Osorio SS.org Regular

I am in no way saying that what was done is right; or that the police officer involved shouldn't be punished (in my own perfect little world, likely thrown into prison himself). I recall a thread on here about a autistic teen being driven to buy drugs by an undercover cop. Equally repulsive.

I'm just saying that taking a course on being a better person doesn't automatically make anyone a better person. I doubt the incident happened simply because the officer lacked tact. I'm more inclined to believe he was simply an asshole that saw an opportunity to have his way. A guy like that taking a course on good manners would only teach him to hide it better; and would also be a tremendous waste of tax payer money.

12. Solodini

Solodini MORE RESTS!

At least if people had some minor qualification or training in handling difficult situations, working peacefully with people with disabilities et c. then they couldn't pull shit like this and claim they didn't know how to deal with people in those sorts of situations. It'd be at least a bit more difficult for them to blag their way out of it.

13. Mexi

Mexi SS.org Regular

While I don't think a college/university education is necessary to be a police officer, it would certainly help more if you had police officers that were capable of better critical thinking skills

Court OKs Barring High IQs for Cops - ABC News

I highly doubt the culture against high IQs in law enforcement has changed since that story first appeared. I think you'd be hard-pressed to NOT find a correlation (at some point) between low IQ levels and higher incidents of police abuse/neglect throughout North America.

14. Osorio

Osorio SS.org Regular

Am I the only one who thinks it is ass-backwards to provide courses on interpersonal relations for litigation purposes...?

I don't think I can debate this further. I don't live in the US and I don't really know the whole picture; furthermore, I fully admit I may very well be in the wrong. Carry on.

15. xzyryabx

xzyryabx SS.org Regular

If anybody is curious, their reasoning behind this is that an individual with a high IQ is more likely to become fedup with the gruntwork and lack of mental stimulation and end up leaving the force after being put through the academy on the state's dime.
    Doesn't make sense to me at all; ok, some guys might get fedup with the job but that applies to any career really. The police force is DEFINITELY one place i'd prefer to take this risk....makes more sense to me to "rtisk" a few good officers to drop out than to only allow jar-heads in.
    I think it also has to do with the fact that they want ppl that will tow the line and they think (rightly or wrongly) that an individual with a higher IQ is less likely to blindly follow and implement rules that he/she may believe are wrong and may tend to use their own discretion more than a "follower"...plus, lets not forget the whole whistle-blower and "code of silence" bullshit.

16. AxeHappy

AxeHappy SS.org Regular

Not like they couldn't alway promote the people who can acrually think up the ranks and make them detectives and shit. They don't have to stay at the bottom of the line forever.

I it is apeshit insane to say police don't need crazy amounts of training.

17. Emil357

Emil357 SS.org Regular

I've heard the cops have this kind of Manhood tests they push newbies into if they wanna be cops. They're like: "Go beat up that kid, go beat him up and show you've got balls!"

Just heard...

18. Xaios

Xaios Foolish Mortal Contributor

This probably has as much to do with the fact that Wagner was also both German and an anti-semite as it does with the artistic merit of his work.

This kind of hearsay really doesn't help the discussion.

19. Grand Moff Tim

Grand Moff Tim Some call me... Tim

It's worth noting that not only is there not one set standard for becoming a cop in the US, but there isn't even one set standard in every State. There will be one set of requirements for getting in to federal law enforcement, another set for becoming a State Trooper, and another set yet for county or city police departments.

I knew a guy who was trying to join the county sheriff's department back in my hometown, but when he failed to qualify because he couldn't bench press whatever the required amount on the physical exam was, he just went and applied a join the force with different requirements in a smaller city the next county over, where he was accepted.

I'm reasonably certain some areas DO require college education for their officers. It might not be a BA or anything, but I think my hometown at least requires an Associates in Criminial Justice + Additional training specific to being a cop, and it's pretty well accepted that if you want a good chance of being hired, you go on to get the BA anyways, even if it isn't actually required on paper.

Long story short: Don't use this as an excuse to rag on cops in the US, or the requirements for becoming one. There is no federal standard. Whether or not there SHOULD be is another issue worth exploring, but don't read too much more in to this than "One cop in one district did something heinous, but is not representative of anything as a whole."

20. AxeHappy

AxeHappy SS.org Regular

I was going to like your post for the useful information contained within. But then you went all, "Captain Defend 'Merucia," again.

If multiple stories about police officiers abusing people with disabilities doesn't merit ragging on the qualifications to become a police officier I have no ....ing clue what does.