2021 - State of Baritones/Extended Scale ERGs

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by Masoo2, Feb 24, 2021.

1. asopala

asopala SS.org Regular

I THINK the Schecter Hellraiser C-VI is still being made. It's a bass VI, but with more typical metal appointments and electronics. If you don't like the EMGs, those are easy to swap out. Honestly a bit surprised it hasn't become more of a standard instrument in the 6-string baritone world of metal.

2. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire only the dead have seen the end of GAS

they've been discontinued for a while iirc. They were already difficult to find a few years ago when i was looking for a good bass VI option, now it's probably worse. Finding a hellcat VI with the mini hum setup back then was a pain in the ass too, but those are awesome. I wish I'd never sold mine.

3. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands SS.org Regular

Unless they forgot to put it in the vault, it's still on their website.

https://www.schecterguitars.com/guitars/hellraiser-c-vi-detail

But yeah I considered a C-VI for awhile. I may just settle on a baritone conversion project. Or cave in and get either another PRS SE277 or a Chapman ML1 baritone.

4. rotebass

rotebass SS.org Regular

Wamoth baritone conversion neck on an eBay Tele body, started this project last March and finished it in the fall. Really happy with the Warmoth neck.

It seems like there are a LOT more commercial options available now then there was even 12 months ago.

IMG_3501.JPG

AleaG and Masoo2 like this.
  5. Bearitone

Bearitone SS.org Regular

For a breakdown of basically every bariton over 27” on the market go watch The Bunn on YouTube.

I highly suggest an Agile 628 if you can get your hands on one

6. Masoo2

Masoo2 SS.org Regular

How are you liking it? Any balance/stretching problems?

A Warmoth tele body in holo flake + one of their conversion necks is what I've been eyeing the most, seems like the best overall value for something over 28 inches. Of course, it requires a little work, but it'd be a fun project. I'd really like one with Fishmans and an Evertune so I can finally give those a genuine try, something about the idea of using like a 74 down to Eb or D with the Evertune keeping it in place just sounds fantastic. An equivalent Balaguer came out to like $2600, so I'm expecting the savings to be around $800-1000+ depending on Warmoth spec and Evertune installation fee.

7. akinari

akinari SS.org Regular

Not the most popular idea, but I'll probably convert a 4 string bass to a 34" 6 string baritone soon. I have a 5 string / 7 string conversion already and it's awesome for some stuff.

Masoo2, I play music and Seabeast2000 like this.
  8. Un1corn

Un1corn Instant Djent Machine

ah no, I can't say baritone guitar is ERG. For ERG you have to extend the range, means 7 or 8 strings or frets more than 24. 6 string 24 fret baritone guitar is extended scale guitar.

9. Seabeast2000

Seabeast2000 Tropospheric Holocenian Contributor

As someone said I think you can get any Balaguer in 28.5 and 30 inch. That is a lot of option imo.

10. Jeries

Jeries Banned

I think the m80m is a great guitar, very unique and powerful sound, however limited in its playability for leads

I found the ultra medium all
    Encompassing 8 string move from Ibanez to esp, namely the SC608B , as the new premier model (to ME, ofc, that being said what do I like? The build, the pickups, the hardware, the 27” scale is the best “middle ground” for a ERG without sacrificing upper fret, what’s not it like? Unless the middle pickup and no neck is a problem, actually when comparing it with the m80m, it actually has that advantage though it’s a weird config)

so yes, if you want a ERG for heavy rhythm work go m80m; otherwise a one trick pony would be the ESP IMHO

My 2 cent