2019 pickups for Basswood MIJ RG 7421/7621?

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by decoy205, Dec 11, 2019.

1. decoy205

decoy205 SS.org Regular

I’ve searched many threads but cannot get much info on this. Also the search on 7421 has mostly info on the newer mahogany body ones.

Obviously many 7 strings came out after these guitars were made and twice as many new metal pickups are out there to choose from so I’m curious what people are using in their Basswood 7421/7621/7620/7621s ?

In my 7421 I’ve tried the stock pickups, a crunch lab (which I thought was a fizzy dark sounding mess), then I had the bridge pup rewound. It’s more of a PAF type rewind vs a metal tone. Not bad just not what I’m looking for.

Are Dactivators still the go to? Any Duncan’s good? It’s got the shallow routes and I don’t want to route but I’m willing to I guess.

I play mostly drop A and need chugs and open chords to be clear with a tight bass response.

thanks for the input!

2. Marv Attaxx

Marv Attaxx SS.org Regular

Well, if you wanna go passive you still can't go wrong with D-Activators. I think most Duncans are too dark sounding, except the Blackouts which are great in Basswood. On the other hand Blackouts are quite tall, didn't have to route my RG 7321 but I don't know if they'd fit into a 7421 without deepening the pickup cavities.
    But your last sentece sounds like you'd be happy with D-Activators :agreed:

Rex and decoy205 like this.
  3. decoy205

decoy205 SS.org Regular

Thanks for the response! I wouldn’t mind going active but I figure that would cost more plus most likely would require routing.

If deactivators will get that “almost active” passive sound that I guess that’s what I’m after.

4. c7spheres

c7spheres GuitArtist

- I don't think the wood type matters as much as sometimes it's made out to be. What you should do is figure out what it is that you want to change about the current tone you already have and compare it to what exists to try to achieve that result.
    - I've owned D'ctivators and liked the sound, but they are really powerful in terms of hitting the amp hard. I had to get rid of them because they hit my amp to hard no matter what I did (Mesa preamp). I actually prefer the Blaze's and rg-7b stock pickups to D'Activator's in my rg7620.
    - Something you should try (if you already haven't) that goes a really long way is to adjust the pole pieces under each string. If there's to much low end lower the pole piece . Before doing this get it to first sound the best you can by adjusting only the pickup height. I normally would slam the pickup down all the way into the cavity and then adjust pole pieces from there. It goes a really long way and sometimes can really turn it into a whole new pickup for sound and responsiveness too.

aesthyrian, decoy205 and Zhysick like this.
  5. Zoobiedood

Zoobiedood SS.org Regular

A Pegasus/Sentient set can handle percussive low tunings like that.

decoy205 likes this.
  6. Rex

Rex SS.org Regular

I've changed a blaze bridge for a d activator in my old LTD M107 (basswood body), my stolen rg1527 had D activators installed and for me are perfect pickups for metal in a basswood guitar

c7spheres and decoy205 like this.
  7. Adieu

Adieu SS.org Regular

Really?

I've never once seen anyone make any visible adjustment to adjustible pole pieces.

Do you only do the ones with twin hex rows? Hex and screw both? Or anything goes, even one side adjustment only?

....and when you do, where do you start from? Ground zero? Follow the radius? Fender single vintage stagger??

decoy205 likes this.
  8. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

I've owned a handful of 7421/7621/7620 models and tried a ton of pickups in them.

I know what you mean about the Crunch Lab being messy. The D-Activator bridge is a safe bet for metal, but I prefer the Blaze Custom overall since it's a bit tighter, thicker in the mids, and sounds angrier when you dig in with your right hand.

If you want something brighter overall, there's also the Ionizer, which is lower in output and has more emphasis on the upper mids and treble/clarity region. Not the heaviest pickup, but it works well to balance out a darker guitar and still get good articulation for chugs.

I still haven't gotten around to trying the Illuminator set, but they get a lot of love too. I only had it for a few days before selling it to recoup some other funds, but the Duncan Nazgul is awesome for downtuned chugging if you can get along with the mid hump, which I do. Also, it's been a few years since I've used it, but the Distortion model is good for metal as well if you back it off the strings a bit.

decoy205 and c7spheres like this.
  9. c7spheres

c7spheres GuitArtist

Mine have 2 hex rows and I honestly just mess with them until it feels and sounds good to me. On the Blaze and Rg-7b I fel t the low end was way too boomy so I just slammed them down and raised it up until it was good. It really makes a difference and blanced out the low end in the guitar. It's not so over bassy now with it. I never really tried doing only one row down and one up or anything . I always just did them both evenly. Now I'm gonna have to try that sometime. I'm not sure about the hex and screw type how they work messing with this. It just seems like something nobody really talks about yet in my experience it seems to make a big difference.

decoy205 and Zhysick like this.
  10. Adieu

Adieu SS.org Regular

You mean with adjusted poles the Blaze ISN'T a boomy POS???

.. .Mind.Blown.

c7spheres likes this.
  11. decoy205

decoy205 SS.org Regular

Thanks for all the responses. I have adjusted poles before. I know on the pup I have right now still won’t give it the output I’m looking for.

Seems like for Dimarzios the D Activator and Blaze might the right way to go first. If one of those don’t do the trick I was thinking Duncan distortions or a lungren M7 if I can afford it.

12. Bobo

Bobo SS.org Regular

I love the ability to stay clear when going low with my D'Activators, both 6 and 7 string. Happy with swapping out my Pegasus 7 for the D'Act bridge (even trying a ceramic magnet in the Pegasus). It's high output and aggressive sounding, if that's your thing.

I do want to compare the Titan 7, may be slightly better for a fuller tone. The D'Acts always seem a bit thin in the upper register notes/plain strings to me.

decoy205 likes this.
  13. BigViolin

BigViolin Boost Willis

I have the Illuminator in a 7421 and quite like it. I haven't tried the Titan 7 but love the 6. If I were to try something else in the 7421 it would be the Titan.

decoy205 likes this.