2018 Customs - Couple of Things I'm Working On.

courtney2018

Contributor
Reaction score

Thanks everyone! Sorry I've been away for a little bit. January hasn't been kind to me so far. First my computer goes down with intermittent internet leaving me with a playstation3 to surf with and if you've ever done that before you know it's really difficult to type on there. Then we had a cold snap for a couple of weeks that was below the temperature I can spray at, and then sadly my father passed away last week. It's been tough.

Hopefully things are turning around though. Internet is back up and an old computer is running the show right now until I can get my main one fixed up. Going to be kicking out some new designs shortly and I'll post the progress here.

Cheers!

courtney2018

Contributor
Reaction score

The past couple of nights I've been working on a new model - an arched top. I've gotten many requests for one, but I haven't built a model for it yet...until now. This is my Solo Artist model in an arched top variant which is a direct replacement for a RGA. I spent alittle extra time (rendering time), now that I've got my main design computer up and running again, rendering a sweet, nice pic of the new model. Looks like a hunk of gold. Geez...I wish!

My first incarnation is going to be a cocobolo top with a tasmanian pink (slightly figured) myrtle back. It'll be several days before I can cut it. Got customers to take care of first, but I'm thinking in a couple of weeks I'll be able to cut this beast out.

Enjoy!

rgarenderframe.jpg

courtney2018

Contributor
Reaction score

Here's a quick one with a DNA type swirl.

Attachments

• pIII arched top render - dna swirl.jpg
    pIII arched top render - dna swirl.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 87

courtney2018

Contributor
Reaction score

Here's a finish that I've been working on for some time. It's my version of the weathered finish which I believe is quite a bit different than how Hufschmid does his. I learned how to weather wood artificially a long time ago, so it's cool to be able to apply all that to a guitar finish.

Shown here is the Weathered And Bloody finish a 2018 Solo Artist RDX variation which is an Ibanez RGD replacement. It has the basic weathering which is the darkening and streaking of the wood, but also thrown in there in various strategic spots is dark red. For the most part it's a natural finish. It's a blend of several oils and some other ingredients to get this effect.

What I'll be offering is a weathered finish, as well as throwing in whatever color one might want. Imagine a weathered swirl! :eek: For the most part it'll just be one or two colors though. The combination of blue and purple would be Weathered And Bruised. Red is Weathered And Bloody. Orange would be Weathered And Rusted. Green would be Weathered Copper.

Enjoy the pics!

Attachments

• DSC00047.JPG
    DSC00047.JPG
    594.6 KB · Views: 91
  • DSC00049.JPG
    DSC00049.JPG
    562.6 KB · Views: 108
  • DSC00051.JPG
    DSC00051.JPG
    561.8 KB · Views: 51
  • DSC00058.JPG
    DSC00058.JPG
    529.7 KB · Views: 136
  • DSC00060.JPG
    DSC00060.JPG
    545.9 KB · Views: 58

splinter8451

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Dang that new weathered finish looks awesome!

You might be getting an order from me this summer if I can scrounge enough money for a new body.

Sang-Drax

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Courtney, I loved your RGD finish after all! Yeah, and the weathered finish for that matter. I'm back from Italy and I'll be ordering the bridge ASAP :yesway:

edit: that lower horn cutaway is pure sex, btw. And useful, too :)