2018 Customs - Couple of Things I'm Working On.

courtney2018

Contributor
Reaction score

Here's a couple of things that I'm working on at the moment. They're turning out really well. Below are some pics.

The first is a Fireman made of korina. The grain is finally sealed up and today was the first of a few clear coats. This body will eventually get a neck made of korina as well. Electronics will come from an older Fender. I've got a clear pickguard and cavity cover made for this too. It should be a screamer!

The second is a RG made of african mahogany. Tung oil was used to get the grain sealed up and leveled off. I then sanded it all down to get everything flat and started hand rubbing tung oil back in. This is after two applications. I'll do some more tomorrow and finish it off with some polish. It'll end up looking like a clear coat, but in fact be a thin layer of tung oil. This body will be getting a 5 piece neck (maple and purpleheart) which is ready to be cut this week. This guitar will get a Evo in the bridge and a PAF Joe in the neck with lo-pro trem.

Anyways, I thought I'd post some pics of them. Everyone likes pics of guitars, right? :D

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
So are you making the bodies yourself and finishing them, or buying bodies and then building parts? Im curious. :lol:

courtney2018

Contributor
Reaction score

Thanks mlp!

I build everything and finish them too. The Fireman is one of the last bodies that I built entirely by hand. The RG was cut out on my CNC. Just turns out for the Fireman the customer wanted to use the electronics out of a Fender strat. The RG is getting all new electronics.

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
You own your own CNC machine? Badass :lol:

Do you take requests?

Winspear

Tom Winspear
Reaction score
Very nice :hbang:I love the finish on the RG, and the way the grain angles out slightly with the arm contour.

QuambaFu

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I ordered a mahogany w/flame maple top RG 7321 style body from Courtney last week. I will post pics when it arrives!

Awesome work Courtney!

darren

Forum MVP
Reaction score
That is a gorgeous piece of mahogany... lots of ribbon figure and nice and dark!