2012 Olympia

Discussion in 'Lifestyle, Health, Fitness & Food' started by Uncreative123, Sep 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Uncreative123

Uncreative123 SS.org Regular

Official stream: Bodybuilding.com: 2012 Mr. Olympia FREE Live Webcast, Sponsored By MuscleTech!

Now that men's pre-judging is done, I feel pretty confident making these predictions:

1) Phil Heath

2) Kai Greene
    3) Dexter Jackson
    4) Shawn Rhoden
    5) Branch Warren
    6) Dennis Wolf
    7) Tony Freeman

Final judging is tomorrow night. Not sure what time. I'm guessing around 9pm (central time).

Was most surprised by Dexter Jackson. Nobody really blew me away though like Phil did last year. He's clearly going to win again this year though.

[​IMG]

TRENCHLORD likes this.
  2. TRENCHLORD

TRENCHLORD Banned

Fuck,,,,, I quit lol.

I think Heath takes it everrywhere except the upper arm. Mid-backs and legs fairly even though.

3. UnderTheSign

UnderTheSign SS.org Regular

I must admit I never really followed Olympia up until this year but your line-up looks pretty solid. Looking at the prejudging comparisons I wasn't too impressed with Branch tbh - or at least not compared to the other guys. Was kinda rooting for Evan as he seems like such a cool guy but he doesn't look on par with guys like Phil and Kai yet.

Agreed with Trench as well, Kai seems to have insane bicep peaks and a slightly wider back but Phil just looks better overall IMO.

4. danger5oh

danger5oh I'm always... hungry

Their aesthetics are so different it's hard to judge. Phil is insanely symmetrical for his size, but Kai is a freak. Phil will win though... it's pretty much known that you really have to knock out the current Olympia champ if you have any hope of winning.

5. Uncreative123

Looks like I was right, with the exception of Dexter Jackson and Shawn Rhoden being 4th and 3rd rather than the other way around.

6. ihunda

ihunda SS.org Regular

I am a big fan of old school Mr Olympia, much more natural looking bodies even though they used steroids as well.
    Makes you wonder what kind of heavy chemicals they are using today :wallbash:

Here's a old Mr Olympia picture:
    [​IMG]

7. TRENCHLORD

TRENCHLORD Banned

One big difference is that those guys in the 60s and 70s were likely not juicing as consistantly over decades like todays top amatuer and pros are.
    There is also an improved sense of confidence when taking higher doses because of the advances in bloodwork analysis.
    Far less oral injestion lessons liver breakdown as well.

8. Uncreative123

It's the technology that has advanced, not the dosages. Most notably with the introduction of GH and other peptides which were previously unavailable. It took everything to a new level. Peptides don't have to be 'cycled off' because they work differently than AS. In fact GH, IGF-1, insulin, GHRP, etc. all need to be ran for at least 3-6 months to start being really effective. You definitely need to be a little more careful with that stuff than AS. Not something to fuck with. And some of it isn't anything you should ever use unless you have aspirations of being a professional bodybuilder.

I've heard a lot about top tier (Olympia level) Bodybuilders running really modest cycles. It's the IFBB up and comers who are using ridiculous amounts to try and get to that level. I remember seeing what Arnold ran back in the day and it was laughable by today's standards. I don't even think he ran PCT. A testament to his genetics.

Definitely doesn't have to be over 'decades'. I mean look at Phil Heath only 10 years ago:

[​IMG]

9. TRENCHLORD

TRENCHLORD Banned

^WOW. That's what i call progress.
    Not only Phil, but progress of chemicals.
    Being on AS cycles that augment what you're already on (GH and such) would account for the difference.

10. danger5oh

Sure, chemicals play a part (obviously), but you've gotta give credit where credit's due. Not even a fraction of the meatheads getting chemical help at the gym look remotely like Phil. A friend of mine used to play ball with him when he was still living in WA, and according to him, that arm development you see in the pic on the left is purely from participating in normal sport-specific exercise and practice, and that during all of the time that he knew Phil, he had never seen him touch a weight, much less a syringe. Drugs and supplements aside, that is a tremendous amount of gain in only 10 years.

Not only have the drugs and supplements gotten better, or at least more efficient, but diet, adequate rest and therapy, and weight lifting knowledge in general have all advanced since the golden age of bodybuilding. I'm pretty sure there will be more guys like Phil Heath showing up to the Olympia with far less years of training under their belt in the near future.

And that classic pic is awesome... Franco, Serge, Sergio, Arnold, and Frank all on one stage. Pic of legends is legendary!

11. TRENCHLORD

TRENCHLORD Banned

Oh yeah, training and diet science has developed as well.
    Also, these days the upper-teir guys can make a good living off endorsements and such that it allows them to devote even more focus.

12. danger5oh

I'm pretty sure I heard in an interview or video somewhere that Ronnie Coleman's mom and/or sister's full time job was to make his meals lol.

13. TRENCHLORD

TRENCHLORD Banned

Loves that chicken lol. (I do too)

14. Tiger

Tiger SS.org Regular

No love for juicers from my end, personally. : /

Just me though.

15. danger5oh

To me, it is what it is. I don't agree with using, I never have used, but at the same time I don't really look down on those that do. For me it's more an ethical issue. For starters, it's illegal... and I for one wouldn't want to compromise myself for the sake of a hobby. For professional athletes, not just bodybuilders, I can understand the allure and temptation. As a working musician, imagine if you could take something that could take your playing skill to the next level... I'm pretty sure there would be more in the FS section than just guitars and gear :lol:.

16. Uncreative123

So does this mean you look down on women who use birth control as well since Progesterone is a steroid? Do you shun every person (including non-athletes) who get spot-injections of corticosteroids to reduce inflammation? Or how about cancer patients, HIV patients, and people with anemia who use anabolic steroids to prevent muscle wasting so they don't die?
    I'm sure you don't, so where are you drawing the line? Which "juicers" are OK in your book? Just women, the elderly, and those with debilitating diseases?
    So who is it not OK for? The opposite- young, healthy, men? And why? Is it because of the good they do? Increase muscle, strength, endurance, etc.
    So I have to ask- do you thumb your nose the same way at recreational drug users? Which I'm assuming make up nearly 70% of the population on this board. Why not? Those are far more dangerous and, outside of cancer patients who smoke marijuana, have absolutely no medicinal or beneficial/healthy relationship when it comes to using substances such as coke, heroin, mdma, ecstasy, 'shrooms' or pot.

Lastly, regarding supplementation, I would really like for you to explain to me how using Creatine (which is produced in your body naturally) is ethically any different from using Testosterone (which is also produced in your body naturally).

There is- and they're called beta-blockers. Professional musicians use them all the time; Heavily used in orchestral/classical music settings. They're incredibly helpful in audition and performance settings. They block adrenaline and noradrenaline so you're less nervous and can focus more on your playing. But somehow that's not 'cheating'....

Illegal...unless you have a prescription. Or live in the UK or a handful of other countries. Do you have any idea how ridiculously stupid easy it is to get a prescription? It doesn't even have to come from an M.D. The legality is a complete and utter joke based on absolute non-sense- even more so than marijuana. And are you really going to sit there and tell me you've never drank underage or smoked weed or went over the speed limit? Your ethics are your ethics, but don't regurgitate these falsehoods and myths of how this is some ethical/cheating issue and how it involves "compromising" yourself or your body.

Bottom line- stats from the CDC (from 2006? I think) Alcohol killed 75,000 people; Tobacco 435,000; Anabolic Steroids- "3". I don't even know if those three were directly attributed either. Stat is listed in the bottom video.

Educate yourself:

***** And everybody should watch this one:

17. brett8388

brett8388 SS.org Regular

Interesting take.

18. danger5oh

Whoa... relax Uncreative123... I think you're preaching to the choir. I'm sure most would argue, but Hawaii is actually a part of the US :lol:, which would make a few substances definitely illegal. And I've been in the competitive bodybuilding and powerlifting scenes for a while, so believe me, I know there are several different ways of getting gear aside from meeting some sketchy guy in a back alley somewhere, and some are legal and easy... the point I was making is that I personally choose not to go that route, but I don't judge those that do. As far as my ethics go, I usually compete in tested powerlifting events... which would make it cheating... and not only do I pride myself in promoting the natural side of both sports, but the main thing that I'm not interested in compromising is my job (with the illegal gear). I never mentioned any of the typical falsehood BS about it being bad for your health or other uneducated myths. Come on man, give me a little more credit than that.

19. Tiger

Tiger SS.org Regular

Well yea. Theres tons of substances I could put in my body to make running 100 miles easier and faster, but what does it matter that I did it if my training regime was vastly enhanced by drugs? I couldnt win the tour de france that way, could I?

It takes away from the journey, to me. It makes it easier. I've watched the pro steroid flick on netflix and I totally agree with it, cool. Steroids are in no way the devil. But fuck that for me. Do I care about juicer competitions? Nope. Doesnt impress me in the least bit.

And yes, I do thumb my nose at recreation drug users. I've never touched a drug or smoked a cigarette. I dont like drug users driving on account of having a family member dead from a user driving. I dont work in a typical environment in an office building or whatever, I work where that kind of flaky shit gets people killed. Therefore, no, I dont support recreational drug or alcohol use. Like I stated earlier, thats just my opinion.

Creatine? Let me eat a steak, sweet, creatine. I havent been able to buy any testosterone fruits in a while, so I cant attest to them.

Also, LOL on you writing an entire paragraph on my statement that was all based on your assumptions. You seemed kinda eager to share your knowledge of steroids. :)

20. danger5oh

Well said :agreed:.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.