2009 Formula 1 Season Thread

Discussion in 'Sports Talk' started by ESPImperium, Jan 13, 2009.

1. F1Filter

F1Filter Contributor

Having a smaller team win, can do nothing but good things for the series. There's already a possibility that LOLA might be entering a car next season. And there's also Peter Windsor's US-based team. If more teams have a legit chance of winning. Then I think it won't be long before you see a 26-car grid again.

Keep the costs down, while keeping the parity up. The better teams will still be able to find ways to advance with a limited budget.

McLaren gets a suspended 3-race ban for the Lewis Hamilton incident @ Melbourne.

2. 777timesgod

777timesgod Officially the unofficial Forum Censor

No one mentioned Massa's freak accident yet. Come on guys get with the program. A loose spring most probably, from Rubens barrichelo's F1 car struck Massa on the helmet as he was driving with great speed. the first blow left him unconscious and he crashed on the barricade with 120 miles per hour!!!!!!!:eek:

He underwent skull surgery at a military hospital and is said to be in a drug-coma right now. News are between rumors and simple announcements now...

Ferrari raced with only one vehicle at yesterday race. I just hope that Massa makes it out of this without some problem that will saty with him for the rest of his life. Get well soon Mas.:yesway:

3. ralphy1976

ralphy1976 1 less ERGNESS

i agree with you. Yesterday's race was as far as i am concerned a non event simply for the fact that a rider is in a critical situation.

Get well soon, Massa. let's hope there will be no long term issues, but my guess is his carreer is over. Sad.

4. Stitch

Stitch Banned

I think you're overreacting. I think he will be alright. I never really liked Massa, I think he's a bit stuck up. Same goes for Piquet, I hope that was his last race. I think he's been coasting for too long on his fathers reputation. Flavio left after Alonso retired. I think that says it all for team relations there.

[​IMG]

5. E Lucevan Le Stelle

E Lucevan Le Stelle in love with Judas

I dunno, I've met Massa and he seems a very, very down to earth person - I do agree with you that his career is probably over after that crash though. Skull fractures and a brain haemorrhage would probably cause the FIA to withdraw his licence to race.

6. 777timesgod

His career will be very hard to save. i mean first he has to recover 110%. this is F1 not a simple sport where you can focus on something else and work through your injuries. also how long will it take for him to come back and start practising again. I don't think that Ferrari will wait for him...

7. stuh84

stuh84 The Viking himself Contributor

Lauda came back from nearly being burnt alive, and Hakkinen nearly died in Adelaide in 1995, and he went on to win 2 championships. Hell you could even look at Webber slightly for someone who looked to possibly be out this season with a broken leg, but now he's won his first race and challenged for the championship.

I like Massa, I don't love the guy, and I did prefer Hamilton winning to him last season, but I can think of way worse drivers in the sport.

8. 777timesgod

Well i am not sure of this. I mean a broken leg and burnt skin don't affect F1 driving after they are healed. Massa is now said to be better but he might have a problem with his left eye for the rest of his life. Do you think that the FIA and ferrari will allow a driver with an eye problem to go 300km an hour? I think not...:nono:

Too bad i believed that he deserved the title last year with Toyota's "problem" costing him the championship. Now his career is over so ferrari will have 2 new drivers for the first time in years. One will be alonso.:yesway:

BTW I think Renault were punished for their stupid mistake with Alonso's whell and will not race next time.:scratch:

9. Stitch

Stitch Banned

It's all hokey on the internet. He hasn't been able to open his eye yet; the people saying he has serious eyesight problems and whatnot are all speculating.

10. phatfil

phatfil SS.org Regular

Autosport is reporting that Massa did open his eye today and that he can see. he also is speaking. In 3 different languages no less.

they have also reported that Massa's replacement will be none other than Michael Schumacher himself!

11. y8c616

y8c616 Well-Known Member

Really? It'll be cool to see Schumacher racing again. Though he has been riding in the German Superbike series recently; bike racing is real motorsport IMO, whereas F1, while requiring skill to drive the vehicles, is boring to watch, what with the low amount of overtaking action. It's more like a 70 lap parade.
    Either way, hope masa recovers, and it's good to see Lewis Hamilton winning again; he proved he was the best in the world last year, but hasn't had the car to maintain that this year.

12. playstopause

playstopause Contributor

13. phatfil

phatfil SS.org Regular

thanks, playstopause. :yesway:

14. Stitch

Stitch Banned

Thing is Michael won't have turned a wheel in the current Ferrarri until Friday practice next race. Mental. :D

Really looking forward to seeing what he can do. Would love it more if the Brawns still whupped his ass. Not because I dislike him - I think he is immensely talented - merely that I'd like to think Brawn took his magic with him to the Honda team. :D

15. 777timesgod

Michael was the best in the business. Yes it helped that he had a strong car but still Brawn didn't send him to the top by himself.:agreed:

16. Hawkevil

Hawkevil Toast Wiper

This is good news for F1. It's made this season a bit less dull than what it coulld have turned out to be. Well, TBH the last few races have been a turn around. For the first few races when Brawn were at the front leading the way, Even lapping Hamilton got very boring. Now Hamiltons in front of them haha.

17. phatfil

phatfil SS.org Regular

i'm sure he will be spending huge amounts of time in their simulator. not perfect, but that and a few practice sessions should get him going. probably won't be at full speed for Valencia, though. maybe by Monza?

i'm not so sure the Brawns are going to be the force they were. word is they are running short on cash and that they are extending the service life of some parts to save cash. their cars are getting old and fragile.

and does anyone else think it's more than a little strange that Renault gets a race ban for something falling off the car that 'could' have caused a catastrophe while a part fell off a Brawn and 'did' cause a catastrophe, yet they get no penatly at all? :scratch:

18. Hawkevil

Hawkevil Toast Wiper

I think the race ban is a little steep but I agree with the penalty. Renault got the penalty for letting an unsafe car out of the pits. The big difference is that Renault knew there was a problem and it was obvious the wheel was coming off where as Brawn didn't know a piece was going to fall off their car.

Basically, Brawn couldn't avoid it where as Renault could.

19. stuh84

stuh84 The Viking himself Contributor

Jaime Alguersuari hadn't turned a wheel in an F1 car at all before last Friday :D, THAT is mental :D

20. phatfil

phatfil SS.org Regular

wheels have come off for many reasons. bad nut, gun failure, etc, but no team has ever been given a race ban for it. there's no precendent for the penalty and no rule that makes that penalty manditory. a race ban is so far over the top.

here's a good article on the subject if you're interested...

pitpass - the latest, hottest F1, GP2, GP2 Asia & A1GP news